Why become a member? ×

What are you learning now?

yepmop

This has probably been done loads of times but hey.

what are you currently learning to play?

For no reason but for my own enjoyment i'm learning the lines to;

SRV - [b]Pride & Joy [/b](boy does that line move around)

Nina Simone - [b]My Baby Just Cares [/b](quite complex (for me) but probably one of my fave bass lines)

Roger Miller - [b]King of the Road [/b](fantastic line)

All hardish to do, but all for my own enjoyment :-) has anyone completed these? (might ask for some help :-) )

cheers

Tony

4 fingered patterns on the RH at all speeds...altho sometimes defaults to 3... which I assume is my brain working out what needs to be done in conjunction with my LH.
Nezt is split and shift the 4 on the RH.

Well, it keeps it interesting and the aim is to play straights 8's with either tenchinue as regular as a plectrum... as I don't like these 8's with just two fingers.
It just lacks that consistancy in sound...

To the OP, I had to learn P&J pretty much note for note for a blues rock band I was in a couple of years ago and as with you I was surprised how much there was in it when it is all broken down. Tommy Shannon's a somewhat underrated player. I wasn't 100% nailed on but close enough for pub work.
I had a little run through Wizzard's 'I wish it could be xmas everyday' last night for a laugh and that was a bit busier than I expected too, those little fills that double up with the saxophone had me on the ropes for a few goes through!

Trying to learn a few[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theatre_of_Hate"] Theatre of Hate [/url]bass lines. Have to do it [i]old style[/i], learning straight from the track, as there are no tabs or notation anywhere for this band. Damn shame they were possibly the biggest influence on my picking up a bass (along with many other people I am sure) Stan Stammers was and is a most excellent bassist. Just sat in my room and accidentally learned the melody that Kirk sings on one of the tracks instead of the bass line ( I [i]was[/i] doing it from memory, as I couldn't be bothered finding the song on my computer. Well that's my excuse :) )

Edited by daz

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1355840073' post='1903437']
To play with my fingers properly. Have never been any good at this, so have decided that will only play with my fingers when at home. Getting there, slowly but surely.
[/quote]
I did something similar a couple of months ago as i was only average with fingers. I've noticed improvement in a short space of time. Still a long way to go tho.

In terms of learning i've just started 'In my Time of Dying' by Led Zep. I had a quick read through the dots last night. Gonna commit it to memory tonight. I 'm learning it just for the hell of it as i love the tune.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1355851514' post='1903687']

In terms of learning i've just started 'In my Time of Dying' by Led Zep. I had a quick read through the dots last night. Gonna commit it to memory tonight. I 'm learning it just for the hell of it as i love the tune.
[/quote]

Great choice, My Lord. This is what I want played at my funeral. :-)

Just been sorting out a line for Blue Christmas for a gig tomorrow night. Also just learnt the line to Rio for the fun of it (inspired by another thread that you may have read). And the notation for all of James Jamerson and Bob Babbitt's lines from What's Going On is siiting on my music stand - so far I've worked through the title track, Right On and Mercy Mercy Me.