Why become a member? ×

I can't decide. Jimmy Page, orJeff beck.

steve-soar

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1354102279' post='1882001']
In truth, I've never heard either Beck or Page playing bass so I can't really comment ...
[/quote]

Can't find any JP, but here's JB...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDgkbLw4qkw

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1354052999' post='1881537']
Jeff Beck. I've always thought that Page was often quite sloppy (Plus,I'm not a fan of Zeppelin).
[/quote]

I'd go for Beck.. who can also look a bit cack-handed, but the sounds he comes up with..????
Very inventive and individual player...
Gotta love them both, tbh..

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1354096148' post='1881908']
Actually Peter Green was the best of the lot.
[/quote]

back in the day, maybe... but not on a relatively recent gig, I'm afraid, which was a shame.

Beck is still out there and can conjure up some magical stuff... he just doesn't seem to have a plan about what he does otherwise he would or could have been bigger than Clapton in the God-status, IMO. His playing is worthy enough, of course, but he doesn't seem to embrace a large audience.. for one reason or another.
He is the sidemen in a front-man gig..??

Love them both but let`s be honest, apart from playing with Zep 5 years ago, Jimmy hasn`t really done anything worthwhile since 79 ish whereas Beck is still gigging and putting out music.

Having said that, Beck can`t write for tofee and Page has written (or stolen, you decide!) some of the best music the world has heard.

They're both amazing but it's Page for me. I don't care how sloppy Page is perceived to be (silly criticism, as we all know technique ain't all that), his playing is (for me at least) very soulful and very powerful. Beck doesn't do it for me in that respect. I mean come on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4v-_p5dU34

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1354131311' post='1882553']
just wait a bit longer until mike keneally is available
[/quote]

Now you're talking.

As far as [i]music [/i]is concerned,I personally prefer Jeff Beck's 'Guitar Shop' (and 'Wired' and Blow by Blow',but mainly 'Guitar
Shop') to anything that Led Zeppelin have done. I think Keneally's albums are better than all of them though.