Why become a member? ×

I can't decide. Jimmy Page, orJeff beck.

steve-soar

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1354132653' post='1882587']
They're both amazing but it's Page for me. I don't care how sloppy Page is perceived to be (silly criticism, as we all know technique ain't all that), his playing is (for me at least) very soulful and very powerful. Beck doesn't do it for me in that respect. I mean come on:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4v-_p5dU34[/media]
[/quote]

Anyone else look at that album cover these days and start thinking about Jimmy Savile?

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1354052999' post='1881537']
Jeff Beck. I've always thought that Page was often quite sloppy (Plus,I'm not a fan of Zeppelin).
[/quote]
This

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1354053740' post='1881556']
Both great guitarists but its gotta be Page. He gas written the most memorable riffs in the history of Rock. pure genius.
[/quote]
This

Two very different guitarists IMO but both have a lot to offer.

(Personally I reckon John Petrucci tops both)
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mntRIb0wa9A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mntRIb0wa9A[/url]

Why choose at all? Personally, I'm a huge Jeff Beck fan - I think he has extraordinary feel and touch without ever descending into the kind of excessive masturbatory rock noodling that makes me want to vomit. Wired is probably my favourite album. I remember someone on here criticising his left hand technique a while back and I thought meh, talk about missing the point spectacularly - listen with your ears, not your eyes.

Page is great too though, in a slighly more sort of rough and ready way. And he came up with some of the greatest rock riffs ever, although he did inflict Stairway on the world, which I dislike way more than Hi Ho Silver Lining.

Edited by JellyKnees

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1354138310' post='1882699']
Now you're talking.

As far as [i]music [/i]is concerned,I personally prefer Jeff Beck's 'Guitar Shop' (and 'Wired' and Blow by Blow',but mainly 'Guitar
Shop') to anything that Led Zeppelin have done. I think Keneally's albums are better than all of them though.
[/quote]
He's class keneally, seen him live. But it's kinda musicianship over music, academic over nature.

Page everytime for me!

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1354227650' post='1883981']
He's class keneally, seen him live. But it's kinda musicianship over music, academic over nature.
[/quote]

I've seen him live too. I don't think it's musicianship over music though. Some of his stuff is very
clever and chops heavy,but other stuff is just straight up songs.

Hmmmmn .... strange idea, let's throw in other guitarists that we like????

Keneally and Petrucci - both amazing players (seen them both live and own CDs as well), but they just don't have the soul of Page and Beck. Horses for courses though really isn't it.

I'm going for ........... Page. Ultimately I would rather spend time on a desert island with his discography than Jeffs.