Why become a member? ×

I think Ive had enough.....

merlin

here goes what would you do,the last few gigs Ive done with own band have been really good,tonight empty pub,not unusual for us,First song guitard fluffs up as the drummer follows him not the bass ( he does this most of the time ) also fluffs making me and the singer look more than silly,no talking between tunes,the people there were up for a good time,but they shut them out,then the best bit guitard and drummer all over the place,trying to out volume each other.
I have been around for ever as a bass guitarist and have never ever come across this befor,it was horrific and I was embarressed to be there,the standard of playing also went out of the window,as Im playing Im thinking no more,will sent out emails tomorrow to end this..should I ??

I've done those types of bands enough that now, I wouldn't stand for it. I'd just leave as it isn't worthwhile of my time. However, I don't know your musical level/profession and all that stuff so, ask your self; "does this happen so frequently that you know it WILL happen?" Or is it only the occasional gig. Then, you will have your answer.

Alternatively, you could try and talk to them, but if your, as yu put it, guitard is the kind of person who needs a potato stamp to sign his name then you'll be reintroducing your head to a brick wall.

I hope you get sorted.

Dan

Not sure I can see any positives here, tbh,,, you can get away with certain things not being that right,,, but if you play to 2 men and a dog too often, then
that wears you down..

I think you need to step back and re-evaluate...but I am not sure about resigning via e-mail...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1352600772' post='1865128']I think you need to step back and re-evaluate...but I am not sure about resigning via e-mail...
[/quote]

I agree, that would be on a similar level to dumping someone by text!

In the meantime, weigh up the pros and cons (or do a SWOT analysis - Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats) and see what emerges.

I would leave. but i don't stand for any sh*t in a band. I've told my mates before to get their act together, they didn't, so i left. They had begged me, literally begged me to be in the band, and the one guy was an absolute messer, and never had the gumption to organise more than one practice.

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1352619682' post='1865159']
I'd suggest an open and frank de-brief of the event. Explain your concerns. If they are met with silence or a brick wall then make your move. The others could be feeling exactly the same, you never know.....
[/quote]

yeah, this is a good idea. De-breifs (no, keep your trousers on, it doesn't mean that) are a good way to say what went well, and what needs work. But, if the drummer follows the guitarist all the time (maybe you should start saying drumtard instead of guitard?) that is probably an issue that won't ever be resolved. i assume he is self taught? if not, he should ask for money back from his drum teacher.

[quote name='merlin' timestamp='1352595019' post='1865089']
here goes what would you do,the last few gigs Ive done with own band have been really good,tonight empty pub,not unusual for us,First song guitard fluffs up as the drummer follows him not the bass ( he does this most of the time ) also fluffs making me and the singer look more than silly,no talking between tunes,the people there were up for a good time,but they shut them out,then the best bit guitard and drummer all over the place,trying to out volume each other.
I have been around for ever as a bass guitarist and have never ever come across this befor,it was horrific and I was embarressed to be there,the standard of playing also went out of the window,as Im playing Im thinking no more,will sent out emails tomorrow to end this..should I ??
[/quote]

should have been on britain's got talent! a (ed.) [s]band[/s] guitarist and drummer with an average age of four and three quarters :o

Edited by steve-bbb

Seems to be impossible to keep politics (with a small p) out of bands. Unfortunately it seems to be that we bassists are generally undervalued and often our opinions are ignored. I've had similar situations in the past and would walk away from it every time. Last time I ended up without a band I started having lessons to learn some theory since I had always played by ear. It was much better use of my time than putting up with the garbage you're currently enduring.

or, find another band first, then leave.

That way you are gigging and don't loose out on the money/experience/practice/(whatever reason you are doing it for) and will have time and space to find the next project.

I would have a de-brief also to let them know that you didn't think much of the performance!

Like JTUK I wouldn't normally be one to advocate resigning by email, however, earlier this year I did just that.

My reason at the time was that, we had already had many band discussions covering all the usual issues: volume, song choice, timing etc. It became increasingly obvious that speaking was a waste of time, as nothing seemed to get resolved.
The final straw for me was after selecting and agreeing on three songs each to add to the set list. At the next rehearsal the singer had learnt his three. The guitarist had learnt none. I had learnt all of them.

As talking seemed to be a waste of time, the following day I resigned by email.

In conclusion: If you suspect you are wasting your time, resign by whatever method will get through to them ;)

4 of the 5 gigging bands I've played in were pretty good in many respects. The last was not. The guitarist (and it was "his" band) wouldn't drive more than 10 miles.. Ever, so gigs were difficult, as one of us would have to taxi the Muppet around. He'd screw up loads, and break strings all over the place. This affected the singer's confidence, and she became very nervous. The drummer is a great bloke, and we'd just motor along regardless.
The guitarist stepped WAY over the line and abused the organiser of a charity event we were playing, and that was it. The drummer and I apologised to the organiser in person, on the day, and quit by email together that night.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1352627470' post='1865208']
Like JTUK I wouldn't normally be one to advocate resigning by email, however, earlier this year I did just that.

My reason at the time was that, we had already had many band discussions covering all the usual issues: volume, song choice, timing etc. It became increasingly obvious that speaking was a waste of time, as nothing seemed to get resolved.
The final straw for me was after selecting and agreeing on three songs each to add to the set list. At the next rehearsal the singer had learnt his three. The guitarist had learnt none. I had learnt all of them.

As talking seemed to be a waste of time, the following day I resigned by email.

In conclusion: If you suspect you are wasting your time, resign by whatever method will get through to them ;)
[/quote]

i left one of my bands this week by email. in retrospect it feels a little odd (much like 'dumping by text'), but i wasn't prepared to go through another half-hearted practice just to tell them i was leaving.

anyway, two of the other members are in their early 20s and seem to do everything online, so i didn't think they'd take it too bad !

as to the OP - if you've crossed the line into not enjoying it then it's prolly time to call it a day. determination will carry you so far, but if everyone else isn't bothered you really are flogging a dead one.

Edited by ahpook

Having been in a similar situation myself, I would say that you should grow some balls (not in a bad way!) and just vocalise your concerns andale sure that the band know that this level of unprofessionalism is unacceptable to you.

Offer some solutions to the problems you have identified. For example, get the guitarists amp pointing at his head which should help the volume issues. Also suggest some earplugs for everyone to help negate the effects of hearing fatigue. There's no point in criticising the band without offering some sort of solution to the problems.

Don't do this by email. You'll come across as whiny and condescending. Do it at band practice because then the band can see how serious you're being. Also, try to think of direction you'd like the band to go in. I left my band because I wanted us to try and hit the functions Market by upping our professionalism levels; they said they did, but didn't follow through.

Offering an ultimatum is a way of showing them that you take the band seriously and you're only going to continue taking it seriously if everyone else is pulling in the same direction. Either way, it's important (I think) that your honour and integrity remains intact! Do the right thing and give them a chance!

Perhaps it is just a case of " empty pub syndrome " , if there are no punters or audience then some people are more inclined to take the p1ss and just lark around and not put any thought or effort into playing . This does not do you any favours as the landlord / bar staff will label you as a crap band and will not be asked back . It is still worth being 100% professional , we have played to empty pubs as well , but the landlord really enjoyed the gig and gave us further bookings on busier nights.

On the other hand , maybe the guitarist / drummer were trying to sabotage the gig , just to try and bring any unresolved issues to a head and encourage a reaction from you , ie , resign from the band .

Maybe you just have immature band mates .
Being in the middle of a Volume War is not much fun , I fully sympathise .

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1352626924' post='1865206']
....I would have a de-brief also to let them know that you didn't think much of the performance!...
[/quote]

+1

Is there any part of the band worth staying for, worth salvaging; like firing the guitarist and starting again with a better line up?

Talk to them and tell them that things have got to change. Give them a chance to improve. Sounds like the singer is on side.

I would only leave if there is no hope of sorting out the problems.

[quote name='martin8708' timestamp='1352632238' post='1865276']
....Being in the middle of a Volume War is not much fun....
[/quote]

A long time ago I was in the middle of an on stage volume "incident" with an idiot guitarist. It was also his band.

I stopped playing and just stood there looking at him with my arms crossed.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1352633178' post='1865297']
A long time ago I was in the middle of an on stage volume "incident" with an idiot guitarist. It was also his band.

I stopped playing and just stood there looking at him with my arms crossed.
[/quote]
I bet that taught him a lesson! (not)