Why become a member? ×

Walbassist, what a star !!Guys please have a read.

KennysFord

Hey to all in BC land,
There has a couple of threads over the the last month about some very nice people going the extra mile to help other members of the forum. I'd like to share this story with you all as I think it sums this place up and to a degree the vast majority of it's members, I'd like to think so anyway.
It's a bit of a long story but hopefully worth the read so please bear with me.
So....
A couple of months back I bought a Markbass TTE500 off these pages and unfortunately it arrived with some damage to the underside of the amp. Basically two of the feet were pushed slightly into the base of the amp. No big deal I thought so I took the sides of the amp off and pushed the dents out, half an hour later, job done.....or so I thought. I hadn't realised that the chassis is made of cheese and I had stripped the bolts, Bugger.....two 4mm nuts later amp good as new and happy days.
Although the amp worked fine I was a little concerned about the compressor so I contacted Gareth (Walbassist ) for some advise as he has the TTE500.

I explained my concerns and he recommended I re-valve the head as It might have been dropped in transit....that would explain the feet ! He sent me some links to a shop where he's had good service, sure enough two days later the head was re-valved and working fine.

At this point I couldn't decide whether I disliked the voicing of the amp or if something was still amiss so I sent another message to Gareth asking if I could send the head down to him then he could A/B it against his to double check. He readily agreed nice man that he is and it was duly dispatched for a thorough run through. All I was hoping he'd do was just give it a quick blast to make sure and then I'd get it collected and couriered back up here. Unbeknown to me Gareth had done so much more than I'd asked. A couple of days later I got a pm from Gareth explaining that he'd recorded samples of the amp with various combinations of valves, old, new, vintage you name it then done the same with his amp to compare. As most of you have seen his videos he does a great job.
Wow, I was staggered to say the least, right of his own bat without me asking for it !!
Turns out the Amp is fine, just not my thing.

There's a bit more to this tale at this juncture...I'm not explaining this next part for any sympathy so please don't think that.
What Gareth did next, basically a simple thing I guess meant so much at such a sh*t time that I'll always be grateful to him, ..... please read on....
During this time, about 3 weeks ago in fact our family suffered and terrible bereavement that knocked us all for six. We lost a grandchild, 6 hours old and we were all pretty devastated as you can imagine. My stepson and his partner couldn't bear to leave the baby's side at the hospital so my Mrs went to her sons house for the week to take care of the other Grand kids. I intimated to Gareth what was going on and I might struggle to get the collection arranged that week.
No problem he said, "I'll arrange for the amp to be collected and delivered back to you. I'll pay for it this end and you can Paypal me the money back when you get round to it"

Just this little extra thing, well big thing actually really moved me to the point of tears ! For someone who I've never met to do all of the above and then send the thing back to me as well at the end of it all is just amazing and I just wanted to share with you all that I can't stress enough how very truly grateful I am to Gareth for what he did for me.
There's the extra mile and then there's the "extra mile"
Gareth, dude, is there is such a thing as Karma then your I sincerely hope your cup overflow !
From the bottom of my heart,
Thankyou.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1349387932' post='1825812']
Rock on! This is a great forum with a multitude of really well-meaning/helpful/empathic people. Love it. Good on ya Gareth and thanks for sharing kennyrodg (PS, terribly sad to hear of your loss)
[/quote]
This + 1

Well, this is a surprise..... :blush:

Yes, I am embarrassed, but it was a pleasure to help Pete out.

What he hasn't told you is he did a bit of detective work and a fresh set of La Bella flats just popped through my letter box from him this morning! Totally unnecessary but much appreciated.

Cheers all

Gareth

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1349428660' post='1826110']
What he hasn't told you is he did a bit of detective work and a fresh set of La Bella flats just popped through my letter box from him this morning! Totally unnecessary but much appreciated.
[/quote]

Nice :)

Always makes me smile to read about cool stuff like this happening here!