Why become a member? ×

Way Down ... disappointment of the year

Happy Jack

[b][size=6]Way Down[/size][/b]

[size=5][b]Playing Bass with Elvis, Dylan, The Doors & more[/b][/size]

[b]The Autobiography of Jerry Scheff[/b]

Sounds like a winner, right? One of the best-known session bassists in LA, core member of the Elvis showband in Vegas and on the road, bass player on the entire [i]LA Woman [/i]album, etc. etc. The sub-title of the book says it all really.

One of the [b]very [/b]few advantages of serious back trouble is that you get much more reading time. I've just finished reading this and it's going straight into the 'Pass It On' section in the marketplace.

[i][b]On Musicians[/b][/i]

He spent eight years performing regularly with Elvis, so we get to learn that no one knew Elvis that well, but he was a really good musician and seemed like a nice guy. Colonel Parker wasn't, mind, which may be a bit of a revelation to some of you.

He recorded with The Doors. Apparently Jim Morrison wasn't as drunk as some accounts make out. The other band members aren't mentioned. At all.

He toured with Bob Dylan. I'm sorry to tell you that Bob could sometimes be a bit two-faced.

He played with Elvis Costello and was surprised at how well-paid he was.

Of all of the names he played with, the one we learn the most about is ... Da DAAAA ... John Denver. I bet you've always wanted to know more about John Denver.

[i][b]On Playing[/b][/i]

He produced the bass lines for (amongst many others) [i]Burning Love[/i] and [i]Suspicious Minds[/i]. He barely mentions either song (amongst many others) and gives no clue as to where those lines came from or how others reacted to them.

He played the bass line for [i]Riders On The Storm.[/i] Not mentioned. At all.

He shared recording studios for days on end with Presley, Morrison, Dylan, Costello and Denver. Apparently he was playing with a great bunch of guys and they had some great times. Oh good.

[i][b]On Equipment[/b][/i]

He had a Precision in the early 60's when he was playing hotel gigs with a lounge band. The hotel burned down, taking his bass with it. He moved to LA where he had to play a Japanese bass, which wasn't very good. Then someone offered him a second-hand Precision for $100 so he bought it.

That's it. That's the lot. That's everything that a top-level, iconic bass-player has to say about his instruments. In 240 pages.

Actually that's not fair. If you were hoping to learn more about valve trombones, or the different types of military bugle used in Naval Marching Bands, or the differences between a tuba and a sousaphone, then you could do worse than start by reading this book.

[i][b]On Balance[/b][/i]

Think of it as £14.95 I'll never see again, and a complete waste of a Tuesday.

Thanks for the heads up! Horace Panter's Ska'd for life is a great read, you should get a copy of that. By no means a challenging read but still rather enjoyable! He talks through his time with The Specials, also he talks a lot about the gigs they did and the social/racial problems that were going on at the time. Definitely worth while.

Dan

Jack, I'd be tempted to ask you to lend that oeuvre to me, out of curiosity... Did the guy have to run the book past a series of lawyers who emasculated it beyond recognition? Does he genuinely have no idea what his audience would be remotely interested in reading? Or indeed, does he have a target audience at all? Questions, questions... :D

Edited by bluejay

My favourite rock n roll Bio Is about a drummer it's Steven Adlers My appetite for destruction. read about 5 times
my other faves are Stone alone by Bill wyman, which I have probably read more times than the steve adler one,
ronnie woods - ronnie david lee roths crazy from the heat, keith richards Life, both the eagles books, slash mustaine, dave mustaine megadeth. Brian wilsons book , wouldnt it be nice is un-put- downable too and I enjoyed Sting by wensley clarkson, also how black was our sabbath, I have read a couple of good deep purple ones too.

I haven't read a jaco one yet so may look for one on ebay if anyone recommends it, I heard a documentary of him on youtube and it was good, I especially enjoy hearing about the musicians when they were kids and how they practised formed their first bands and hook up with the other members basically the rags to riches story is always a good one.

I have two new books on the way tattoos and tequila I think its called by vince neil and that book about paul di anno who was iron maidens first vocalist. I have two guitar world books of various collected interviews of eddie van halen who is anoother fave of mine

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1349305399' post='1824669']
Could have been worse, it could have been chapter after chapter about how he got drunk/high with the well known leaders of the bands he played with.......!
[/quote] except he did that so much he can't remember it...

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1349252967' post='1823763']
He had a Precision in the early 60's when he was playing hotel gigs with a lounge band. The hotel burned down, taking his bass with it. He moved to LA where he had to play a Japanese bass, which wasn't very good. Then someone offered him a second-hand Precision for $100 so he bought it.

That's it. That's the lot. That's everything that a [b]top-level, iconic bass-player [/b]has to say about his instruments. In 240 pages.
[/quote]

This section is a pretty important lesson for most of us here I should think.

Oh that's disappointing. I've been unimpressed by a number of muso auto biogs recently, probably due to everyone writing one now. The best one I've ever read is Rhinos, Winos and Lunatics by Deke Leonard, proper laugh out loud stuff and the Prequel, Maybe I Should've Stayed In Bed is nearly as good. Mrs Ez, a non muso, loved them too.

• Thanks 1

I've met Jerry Scheff in France a couple of years ago and we had dinner together...
He was a really nice person and talked freely about his life and I actually found it very interesting..
I made the mistake a lot of bassplayers make and complimented him on that killer bass-line on Burning Love...
He grinned and said : "That's not me, that's Emory Gordy on bass"...
Contrary to what seems to be the book, he had amazing stories to tell and he gave me detailed information about auditions, live gigs with Elvis, etc..

[url="http://www.answers.com/topic/emory-gordy-jr-guitarist-producer-songwriter"]http://www.answers.c...ucer-songwriter[/url]

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1349284028' post='1824311']
I enjoyed Nile Rodgers book a great deal - if you haven't read it and are going to be laid up for a while longer, PM your address and I'll post it to you.
[/quote]

+1

Read that a few weeks ago on holiday. Top quality autobiog, really details Niles early life and is incredibly open and honest on his battles with additiction throughout his life.

The part which talked about Bernard Edwards passing away was very emotional, unsurprising considering the long and deep friendship they shared.

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1349336258' post='1824757']
I've met Jerry Scheff in France a couple of years ago and we had dinner together...
He was a really nice person and talked freely about his life and I actually found it very interesting..
I made the mistake a lot of bassplayers make and complimented him on that killer bass-line on Burning Love...
He grinned and said : "That's not me, that's Emory Gordy on bass"...
Contrary to what seems to be the book, he had amazing stories to tell and he gave me detailed information about auditions, live gigs with Elvis, etc..

[url="http://www.answers.com/topic/emory-gordy-jr-guitarist-producer-songwriter"]http://www.answers.c...ucer-songwriter[/url]
[/quote]

... and I think Carol Kaye played on suspicious minds.

Jeffs live version was awesome though.

Edited by davey_one_visits

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for taking so long to come back to this - I read the whole book while travelling to Italy and back last week, but didn't find time to sit down and comment on it here.

So - here goes.

Unlike Jack, I approached this book with the lowest possible expectations (as a result of his review), and as a consequence I was ready for most of the book's flaws.

I completely agree with Jack's critique of the book's failings. Despite declaring that the book is going to be his [b]musical[/b] autobiography, the author - one of the biggest session bass players in the world of rock music! - only gives us occasional, brief insights into his creative process or his method for matching his ideas to the songs written by or for the stars he was backing. Throughout the book, and his life, there is more than a passing hint at drug taking, of course, but usually while performing on stage or recording already completed songs, as opposed to composing. It's as though the book had been written for an audience of non-musicians who aren't interested in such nerdy details - thus negating the author's own premise.

Many on-stage or dressing-room antics and pranks are recounted with gusto and plenty of details, and we are given long descriptions of the band's lodgings or Scheff's own homes, his cars, etc. - but not a word about his basses, aside from, as Jack mentioned, telling us that two of them were Fenders and one of them a crap Japanese bass. No details at all about his double bass(es), and very few about his rig (apart from one glorious cab he got in lieu of money as payment). You'd be damned if you were wondering, for instance, what type of strings he used, or liked best, or whether he favoured P basses for their sound, or simply got hold of them because they were what was available there and then, and any similar questions.

All that would make sense in the context of a non-technical - but still music-centred - autobiography, [b]if[/b] in the very same book he hadn't written so many pages - about different stages in his life - describing his tubas, trombones, bugles etc. We are told whether they are new and shiny or old and dented, we are given explanations on how to play each of them, on their size and shape, and the most comfortable way to carry them while playing and marching or walking. Yawn...

I found the timeline a bit confusing at the start, but not because he begins the book with Elvis's death and then goes backwards in time - that's a common literary device and I'm fine with it. The problem, in my view, is that he (or his editor/publisher) seems to want to get the Elvis era over and done with as soon as possible, after which he can figuratively draw a sigh of relief and get down to the real business of telling us about his life, and begin from the beginning. Also, there are quite a few wives and girlfriends (and a couple of sprogs!) popping up here and there in the narrative, the ladies sometimes seemingly overlapping with each other, which may have added to my confusion.

Regarding what Scheff says about the stars he worked with, my impression is that he had to consult quite a few lawyers before publication, and that much of what he thinks or knows - or even just remembers! - about Elvis, Dylan, the Doors etc. had to stay in his mind or hit the cutting room floor. He probably simply was closer to John Denver, and liked him, and so we get to know more about him than those musical giants, despite his being a minor figure compared to them.

Having said all that, the book is very well written (and/or edited), and it's rather entertaining if you look at it as "the coast-to-coast adventures of Jerry Scheff with the military and some rather well known bands and rock stars". Just leave your bass player's brain at the door :D

Edited by bluejay

Thanks - I've got or read and moved on quite a few musical biographies, I think I'll pass on that one though.

Johnny Cash's is excellent, the one written with Patrick Carr (???), Lemmy's I thought while interesting was very light, using the cop-outs of large type, wide spacing (leading) and wide margins to pad it out. Chuck Berry's own auto-biog is light on his dark side but the unofficial one "Brown Eyed Handsome Man" is more in-depth and does explain his contempt for white music world wheelers & dealers. Noddy Holder's is fairly superficial and enforces his image of "a bit of a lad".

Bo Diddley? - they should make a film of his life, always overlooked in the history of rock n roll while in real life he should be up there alongside Chuck Berry. Ex violinist (though I would guess more a fiddler?) drummer and street-fighter, which explained why he tuned to open E because his battered hands were too big to make chord shapes, though how that fits with violin I don't know!

Edited by Big_Stu

• 3 months later...

I dont know if Jerry will read this, perhaps he could comment.

I actually like this from the outset and particularly the description of his time with Elvis. I really enjoyed his description of his childhood and found his description of the musical interaction in his first gig absolutely rivetting (although I'm not quite sure the word "motherf_____", used by the bartender to a very underage Jerry was common currency in the 50s, perhaps it was).

Also very interesting was his discussion of how he came to a moment of epiphany about drugs after what seems like fairly enthusiastic consumption. I also enjoyed his outlook on John Denver and his descent from Country music shining star to a very waning star and how John handled it, or perhaps didnt.

I dont think this was meant to be a bass geek book, and it isnt. It is however an enjoyable window into a working musicians life. There are dry bits, but there are enough juicy bits to lubricate them.

Good to hear that, Simon. It goes to show how many different opinions there can be of the same piece of work.

Just to remind those who are following this thread, Jack and I started this this other thread: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/192946-jerry-scheff/page__hl__jerry%20scheff"]http://basschat.co.u..._jerry%20scheff[/url]
quoting Jerry's reply to our criticism. It makes for a very interesting read.

Edited by bluejay

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished the book and found it an intresting read. It is the story of Jerry`s life rather than his life as a bassist. If I want to read about P basses, I can come on here :D

It is now on it`s way to Mickeyboro. Thanks to HJ for buying it in the first place.