Why become a member? ×

Does anyone like their bass? Really?

lowdowner

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1349035156' post='1820995']
.... anyone else was really happy with their bass....
[/quote]

I am very happy with all my basses. Unfortunately that's not enough to guarantee that they’ll be kept forever and I have 2 that I love which are currently for sale.

All you need is a 90 degree change of direction to leave a very fine instrument high and dry and surplus to requirements.

My old Precision got left behind when I moved to 5 strings (it’s now been under the bed for 20 years). I owned the Wal for nearly 10 years although I only gigged it for 2 (that was a very difficult decision to sell). It was replaced by a stonking Lakland, which has the second longest playing time of my collection (I played it at the bass bash and might keep it after all). On a whim I bought a 5 string Precision which I like so much it retired the Lakland.

I do find it difficult to sell basses but at the end of the day they are only tools

[attachment=119855:548177_10152150567550243_451948790_n.jpg][quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1349035721' post='1821000']
Spill the beans...
[/quote]

My 1978 Fender P,obtained by myself in 1979,(it was a slightly lighter shade then). Plenty of sentimental value,but it just feels right.You can just see the repair at the top of the fretboard after a local music shop butchered it trying to fit a new nut.All my other instruments are negotiable but this one is mine.

This is me patiently explaining we don't do requests.

Edited by Spike Vincent

[quote name='ziggydolphinboy' timestamp='1349042466' post='1821132']
my 4 sei basses and my status 5 edaless are all keepers ,
awesome
but my sei basses will never leave my possession!!!!!
[/quote]

ho come, there are only 3 in your sig.

ps: my sei jazz 5 or my franken jazz 4 - really can't tell... :yarr:

It took me over 20 years to get around to buying my favourite Bass, a BC Rich Warlock. In the end I went for the NT. I adore it, it plays beautifully and sounds ace, and I still have to catch my breath when I look at it, it's gorgeous!
Even so, there are problems with it and I am going to have to tinker with the bridge to make it absolutely perfect. But I would never sell it. Well, if I lost both my arms and ended up living on the streets (again. The living on the streets bit, I never lost my arms.), then I might consider selling it. But if I'd only lost my arms I would very proudly mount it on the wall (well, I'd get someone else to mount it for me).

As long as I've always got a good comfortable p bass I'm happy, but it doesn't have to be the one I have currently

Still undecided on the stingray I recently got in a trade on here, but that's more because of late p basses seem to win it for me not because the ray is bad, because it's not

I may invest in a 70s p , which might end up being more of a long term partner

I'm done with bass gas:
I made my custom jazz with my hands, and i dig her sound.
My main bass is now the ken smith burner my lady and her son offered me for my 40 birthday. And this bass is just PERFECT. Tone, feel, comfort.

These are my two basses and if i still like watching nice bass pics, i don't need bass anymore.
Except peharps one day a Kala U-bass, just to have a little bug to carry during holidays or travel.

I have two basses, my Washburn Bootsy Space Bass and my recently acquired Warwick Corvette $$ Custom Shop. I love both basses to bits, and would never willingly part with either. Two basses are probably enough for me, but that never stops me getting the occasional GAS. I'm a sucker for finding the perfect envelope filter too though, so that's probably where I'll be spending my hard earned cash in the future.

I do love my bas, although im still not 1005 on the colour. Ive finally found a bass that while it doesn't stop GAS, it does stop me actually buying something else once i weigh up the pros and cons.
Its been a long time coming but after spending £1000's on basses over the past 8 years i really cant fault my Squier CVP (or what's left of it).

I recently had the chance to get a new bass (fresh new CC, it would have been rude not to use it) and looked at a few basses that i was GAS'ing for on here but i really couldnt see any advantage over what i have already.

It takes time to settle on the bass that suits you, I think. I have done a lot of buying (one trade, but no selling yet!) over the past couple of years. I have spent a lot of time swapping between them all, but I keep coming back to my Warwick Corvette $$s. The only difference between them is the colour, so I usually take them both to gigs.

So, yes, I may be selling some soon, but no, I won't be buying any (probably).

Its taken me a long time to realise that IF you have a bass that ticks most/all of the boxes, you should never submit to selling it for the latest/greatest thing.

I currently have a fairly large collection, which I've craved since I started 16 years ago. It won't get much bigger now as I'm starting to get quite good at knowing I have a good collection.

I wouldn't sell any of the basses I own now; it would cost too much to replace them.

[i]I tend to hang onto the Bass's I buy new for much longer periods;[/i]
[i]The Warwick Streamer I had for over 20 years,[/i]
[i]The Ibbby Blazer I bought in about 79 and still resides as being mine, even tho my old School mate and drummer has had it on loan for the past 20 year's.[/i]
[i]The new Fender Jazz I bought back in 2008 is still with me and going no where.[/i]

[i]The second hand ones have come and gone, but happy with my stock atm.[/i]

I think my problem is/was that i only ever want/need one bass. So when GAS has struck its one in one out. If the new one doesnt tick enough boxes i start again.
When i ran out of money i was forced to stick with what i have, and now im so used to this bass its making any other purchases seem pointless.

I guess if i had a need for other basses, or just liked collecting them things would be different, but IMO a P or Jazz bass will do everything ill ever need, other than fretless. Im saving that for when i retire.

I'm really happy with both my fretless basses, sorted. My fretted basses, however, are another question. The P bass is great, but that's not my gigging bass. I'm still getting used to my Ibby SR505 and haven't really used it anger so the jury's out on that one. So am I really happy with my bass? Some a big yes, others not so much (yet).

Like mine, had my crappy old P-copy for ever, it is going nowhere, I also now love my frankenfretless more than anything and could probably live with just that forever. I am also fond of my Rickenbastard which took me ages to put together, but am well aware that I don't need it. As well as my black fretless P that i only made so it would match my crappy old black strat.
I like my basses and have no need to sell or trade them at all...
Happy.

Never say never (life sometimes gets in the way and tastes change). I've even been known to sell a Gibson in order to fuel my further curiosity but I suppose the one that is completely exempt save for keeping the roof over our heads (and it would go last) would be my Gibson RD Artist. My wife (the bass fairy) got me it and as such its perpetual presence in my collection is not up for debate.