Why become a member? ×

Smallest giggable bass combo/cab?

Evil Undead

I play in a rock band (nothing too heavy just classic rock stuff) with a loud drummer. I want the smallest rig I can possibly have. (back trouble)

I have a Promethean head, 250W into 8 ohms or 500W into 4 ohms. Thinking about replacing that with something I can fit in the pocket of my gig bag but not sure yet.

I was looking at the markbass NY 1x12cab to pair with a head. Or the barefaced compact or midget.

Could also consider the markbass NY 1x12 combo.

Or even another brand, suggestions?

Would any of these keep up?

Can mic the cab or DI to FOH if absolutely necessary but I generally don't.

Edited by Evil Undead

Well, I've been looking at 'beginner rigs' lately and have had some great advice of starting combos that may be what you're looking for. In terms of weight (and not size) the new TC Electronic BG250 has had some great reviews but as far as suitability for gigging, I've heard some fairly average reviews in terms of volume.

I'll add my tuppence worth from direct experience.

I owned a Markbass 121p combo (basically the same as NY121) and the Midget would kill it totally in every way, if that helps.

I own a Midget and a Compact. For a single cab for rock, I'd say the Compact is better. Reason - it's deeper and bigger sounding but that's just my preference.

The Midget is a loud and barky cab too but needs lots of power to drive it.

Frank.

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1348694429' post='1817144']
At risk of sounding like a stuck record, the GK MB200 is ace. 200w at 4 ohms, but a bloody loud 200w. I mean, properly loud, almost on a par with my ABM 500, and Streamliner 600, in the real world. Very small and light - fits in my gig bag pocket as a spare head.

Needs a 4 ohm cab though. But cannot recommend it enough.
[/quote]

I would think 2 cabs would be a lighter solution than one, assuming you have transport.

I have used my MB200 with - EBS Neo 212 4 ohm - ace, EBS Neo 115 4 ohm - ace, 2 of Vanderkely 8 ohm 112 cabs, ace.

Get the idea. It totally rocks for it's total lack of size and weight. I think the cab solution will be a greater headache.

FWIW I always DI - keep stage vol down a bit, and spread the bass aroudn the room

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1348694472' post='1817146']
I'll add my tuppence worth from direct experience.

I owned a Markbass 121p combo (basically the same as NY121) and the Midget would kill it totally in every way, if that helps.

I own a Midget and a Compact. For a single cab for rock, I'd say the Compact is better. Reason - it's deeper and bigger sounding but that's just my preference.

The Midget is a loud and barky cab too but needs lots of power to drive it.

Frank.
[/quote]

How much power are we talking? Would 250W be enough for an 8 ohm cab?

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1348694794' post='1817156']
[/quote]

Depends who's 200w. I think Alex BF recommends more for his Compact. I have used a Compact with 300w into it and it was OK, but not massively loud. Enough, but that was all.

It's a matter of compromises. Inevitably, smaller cabs with fewer drivers will lose something when it comes to spread of sound.

Maybe a Compact or Midget with a more powerful head?

I have read that the Midget cuts better and is great as a stage monitor, when backed up with PA support. This would be my choice with a powerful micro head and PA support. Job done.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1348695350' post='1817172']
Hmm. I can see this is not going to be an easy choice :(

basically I need to cut my rig size and weight down by a lot without losing much volume. I use a 4ohm markbass 2x12 currently which isn't that heavy for you blokes but to a short lass with back trouble who lives on the top floor it's very heavy :(
[/quote]

It is an easy choice - it's your back - your one & only back, look after it while you're still young B) get a roadie :D

Other tiny amps that haven't been mentioned yet...

EA Micro
Mark Bass Big Bang
David Eden WTX264 or WTX500
Genz Benz Shuttle 3 or 6.2
Aguilar Tone Hammer
Epifani Piccolo

For a compact one amp and cab solution most folks will go for a 12" cab to retain some low end thump. There are plenty of high quality 112 cabs on the market that offer different results and even most ceramic speaker loaded 112 cabs are pretty light. But, if you are playing in a rock band with a hard hitting drummer and you don't have a fold back monitor with your bass signal being fed to you then a single 112 cab may not cut the acoustic mustard as a backline. I struggle at times with a 210 cab with a light drummer, but then again I play in a soul band whereby the rest of the musicians want me to be cranked. It really does depends how loud you want to be on stage or if you are trying to fill a venue by relying upon your acoustic volume from the cab. It's a tough question to ask yourself when buying a compact rig.

Yeah! You should invest in one of those nice Behringer DI thingies! ;)

Me, I'd go the 2 * 112 way or similar. Two light lifts is better than one heavier one, and there's enough of lightweight 112s around. Have you defined how much you want to lift in one go?

Edit: Oh, and what type of budget?

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1348694794' post='1817156']
[/quote]

Well, I've always used Markbass LMII with both Barefaced cabs and that seems easily enough power.

I recently bought a Mesa Walkabout amp which is supposed to be about 160 watts into 8 ohms and that also seems loud enough.

So I think 200watts will be enough and 500 watts also enough. You might hear a little more volume with more watts.

One thing's for sure, the Midget and Compact are loud with a few watts and seem to be able to take all you can give it without farting. :D

Frank.

A GK MB200 with a Euphonic Audio Wizzy 10 cab does the job for me in many of the pubs I play (usually without DI), and the head and cab together fit in a padded cajon bag which I can catch buses with. The Wizzy 10 probably doesn't get as loud as some of the high-end 1x12" cabs, but it has enough oomph to work well with my band in the smaller rooms. Whether or not you would have the same experience really depends on how Rock your band is, how loud the guitarists are etc. Although given the current prices of the EA stuff, you could probably find a good 1x12" at a similar price that'd give you a touch more volume.

I play in a noisy pub-rock band with two guitarists, a drummer who thinks he's John Bonham and a singer who doesn't do quiet or subtle. My rig is a GK MB500 (weighs less than 2 Kgs) and a Barefaced Compact (14 Kgs). I don't think you'll get much lighter than that! Absolutely no problems making myself heard with bags of spare volume on tap.

I'd also suggest the behringer BDi21. I've just bought one as an emergency backup in case either my head or cab fails at a gig. You can plug your bass straight into the desk via the BDI with no head or cab at all. I've only tried this at rehearsal and it worked surprisingly well. If you have a decent PA it might be well worth trying for £30.

Steve

I used a Tecamp Puma 350 1x12" combo on sessions for 2 years and it could keep up with loud drummers and sounded ok.
they are reasonably priced used. but if you can afford something better, go with i.e. gk streamliner and a very good cab instead. that's the way I do it.

Something worth looking at is, what car do you drive, and is it possible to keep the cab in the car all the time (unseen of course). I did this with my Marshall 412, the only time it was ever out of the car was gigs or rehearsals.

So re the Markbas 212, if someone breaks into the car, unless they have transport of their own, nicking a 50lb cab isn`t practical. Sure, they can trash it, but to me, I`d rather my cab got trashed than my back. Get a good cover for it, to try and stop condensation build-up.

I've got a Barefaced Super Twelve and a Genz Benz 6.0.

The cab, while not tiny, fits easily in the boot of all the weird cars I own and can be carried easily in one hand. The GenzBenz is tiny and weightless. With that in a shoulderbag I can carry my whole rig (bass as well) in one go comfortable (as long as someone opens the door for me!)

The sound is just incredible. It's very hi-fi so may not be to everyone's tastes. Although, I never thought I liked hi-fi sounding rigs until I heard this. The downside is that you can now hear every note and every mistake it cuts through so much. I think it's the cab that makes the difference. The GenzBenz head is rubbish with my other Ashdown cabs.

Lower back issues here, so weight and portability for the cabs are my absolute priorities and, for my money, there is nothing better than Barefaced cabs for that suituation. I now use a GB Streamliner 600 through Barefaced Compact and/or Midget, depening upon circumstances, for my two rock covers bands (same loud drummer in both bands). Either Compact or Midget are perfectly good on their own, the choice depends upon what kind of sound you prefer. As has been said Midget is the more aggressive-sounding of the two but a little eq adjustment gives you all the bottom end you might need. If you can get to a bass bash or find a friendly basschatter to let you hear both you could make an informed choice. But the Midget weighs in at a ridiculous 9kg and is a one finger lift!

It might be worth thinking about an AER Amp One - 200 watts into a 10" driver - tiny but dense at around 32lbs. Shockingly loud and very pokey sound with weirdly impressive bottom end (if you need that) - you really do wonder where the tone and weight is coming from. Very expensive at £950-1000 new, but they appear in the classifieds every now and then at around £750. Honestly my favourite bass amp - incredibly versatile and impeccable design and build.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1348738188' post='1817469']
Something worth looking at is, what car do you drive, and is it possible to keep the cab in the car all the time.
[/quote]

I don't currently own a car :(

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1348738220' post='1817470']
I've got a Barefaced Super Twelve and a Genz Benz 6.0.

The cab, while not tiny, fits easily in the boot of all the weird cars I own and can be carried easily in one hand. The GenzBenz is tiny and weightless. With that in a shoulderbag I can carry my whole rig (bass as well) in one go comfortable (as long as someone opens the door for me!)

The sound is just incredible. It's very hi-fi so may not be to everyone's tastes. Although, I never thought I liked hi-fi sounding rigs until I heard this. The downside is that you can now hear every note and every mistake it cuts through so much. I think it's the cab that makes the difference. The GenzBenz head is rubbish with my other Ashdown cabs.
[/quote]

I've been really tempted by he Genz Benz 6.0 but haven't been able to try one out. But unless it is much smaller and sounds better than my Promethean, I wouldn't go for it.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1348743205' post='1817558']
Lower back issues here, so weight and portability for the cabs are my absolute priorities and, for my money, there is nothing better than Barefaced cabs for that suituation. I now use a GB Streamliner 600 through Barefaced Compact and/or Midget, depening upon circumstances, for my two rock covers bands (same loud drummer in both bands). Either Compact or Midget are perfectly good on their own, the choice depends upon what kind of sound you prefer. As has been said Midget is the more aggressive-sounding of the two but a little eq adjustment gives you all the bottom end you might need. If you can get to a bass bash or find a friendly basschatter to let you hear both you could make an informed choice. But the Midget weighs in at a ridiculous 9kg and is a one finger lift!
[/quote]

The Midget sounds ideal, and that's really the one I'd like to go for, at only 20lbs it's the perfect weight. I prefer a slightly more aggressive tone, and I also like a hi-fi sound as well, nice and clear/defined.

The Streamliner is 375W into 8 ohms, is that correct? My Promethean only delivers 250W into 8 ohms so I'm thinking perhaps that wouldn't be enough to get the volume that I'd need.

My drummer is loud, and the guitarists both use Marshall half stacks. My Promethean with the Markbass 2x12 (4 ohm) is fine, but just so bleedin' heavy! I guess I'd need to talk to the singer about going through his PA and get his permission for that.