Why become a member? ×

I auditioned for a "gig-ready" band!

thebrig

I decided to respond to an ad I saw in which a “gig-ready” band needed a bass player to complete their line-up.

The guy told me that they were all very experienced musicians, played in bands for years, and aim to be gigging in a few weeks time.

Now I’m not very confident as I am a late starter, and have only been playing for about five years.
I’ve been in two bands and have gigged a fair bit, but still feel that I am just a novice player, but I thought to myself, just go for it!

Anyway, last night the guy emailed me a selection of songs which totalled [u]seventeen[/u], and I thought sh*t!
I might be able to learn three or four maybe, but I spent today going through them, and I actually nailed the lot, so I thought that even though I might not be up to their standard, at least they should appreciate the fact that I have learnt all the songs in a day.

So this evening, I print off the list and arrive at the studio, and place the list on the floor so that I can see it.
They have a look at it and say "we[i] only know a few of them, and we have only touched on the others briefly[/i]", so I replied, "[i]tell me which ones and we can just do them[/i]", and they had to discuss amongst themselves which ones they [u]all[/u] knew.

We run through just three of them, and they were all over the place with them.
I then suggested we run through the lot anyway, and see if we can make anything of them.
Total waste of time, they weren't even sure what key they were in.

These guys are totally deluded, if they believe they will be ready to hit the road in a few week’s time.

[b][i]Has this happened to anyone else at auditions?[/i][/b]

BTW, I even had to pay my share of the room!

Mind you, I now feel better about my ability, and I suppose that if I can learn seventeen songs in a day, then I can't be too bad!

Edited by thebrig

[quote name='silentbob' timestamp='1347321615' post='1799429']
You still got their number, sound like they would match my ability perfectly :D

What sort of stuff were they trying to play?
[/quote]
Here's the list I was sent, admittedly, there are quite a few on there I don't like, so it's probably best that it did not work out.

[b][i]All Right Now[/i][/b]
[b][i]Billie Jean[/i][/b]
[b][i]Crossroads[/i][/b]
[b][i]Don’t Believe A Word[/i][/b]
[b][i]Ever Fallen In Love[/i][/b]
[b][i]Jumping Jack Flash[/i][/b]
[b][i]Louie Louie[/i][/b]
[b][i]Piece Of My Heart[/i][/b]
[b][i]Riders On The Storm[/i][/b]
[b][i]She Sells Sanctuary[/i][/b]
[b][i]Sunshine Of Your Love[/i][/b]
[b][i]Teenage Kicks[/i][/b]
[b][i]Times Like These[/i][/b]
[b][i]Tush[/i][/b]
[b][i]Whiskey In The Jar[/i][/b]
[b][i]Whole Lotta Rosie[/i][/b]
[b][i]With A Little Help From My Friends[/i][/b]

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1347320612' post='1799421']
[b][i]Has this happened to anyone else at auditions?[/i][/b]
[/quote]

To me? More often than not.

And these guys couldn't wing Louie Louie? Or Sunshine? Or Tush?

Definitely an unexploded clusterf***. Run, don't walk.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1347322668' post='1799439']

[/quote]
In fact, there a few on the list that are no more than three chords, which probably explains how I managed to learn seventeen songs in a few hours.
Although I did struggle a bit getting the timing and feel right on "[b][i]With A Little Help From My Friends[/i][/b]", but it's a very enjoyable bass line to play, and I managed to get it right in the end.

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1347342198' post='1799474']
[i][u]Sounds like you were more gig ready than them. If nothing else it's given your confidence a deserved boost,[/u][/i]

Auditions are a two way street, you're auditioning them as much as they're auditioning you, and they failed the audition.
[/quote]

Totally agree!

Well done the Brig and welcome to the world of the delusionals :) .

I've come to realise over the last few years that they are quite a common beast.

On the plus side, you've learnt a whole load of new tunes and at least know that you can come up with the goods at short notice.

Can't believe you also had to pay.

Given that we are in the same neck of the woods, please pm me their name, so that I don't fall in to their trap.

I've turned up to audition for established, gigging bands and found that they themselves don't know how to play them.

[i]"It's ages since we last did this ... how do we start it?"[/i]

[i]"No, it's definitely in G. Yeh, sorry, we should have told you. Now where's my capo?"[/i]

[i]"We never go to the C# there. Yeh, I know that's how they did it on the original, but we don't do that."[/i]

Those are three quotes from the last 12 months, and I could offer plenty more. Three different bands, all the same problems. Bear in mind these three are all actually gigging, have been for years, and were each looking to replace their bass player at an audition that they had set up.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1347346124' post='1799492']
Well done the Brig and welcome to the world of the delusionals :) .

I've come to realise over the last few years that they are quite a common beast.

On the plus side, you've learnt a whole load of new tunes and at least know that you can come up with the goods at short notice.

Can't believe you also had to pay.

Given that we are in the same neck of the woods, please pm me their name, so that I don't fall in to their trap.
[/quote]
Just to be polite, I asked how much they wanted off me for the room, fully expecting that they would say, "don't be daft, it's an audition", but they just came out with the amount, and I paid up because I just couldn't wait to get out.

Strangely, I have woken up this morning feeling really great about things.

I spent most of yesterday worrying about the audition, as it is the first time I have had the courage to audition for an "established" band.
In the past, I have put together bands by gathering members one by one, and I always made sure that they knew in advance that I was only a novice musician, so they knew what to expect.

I know I will never be the greatest bassist around, but I now realise that I am probably a bit better than I think I am.
So from now on, I will approach things with far more confidence, and hopefully hook up with some talented musicians, who will help me reach a higher level.

I went to an audition just over a week ago, although they never said they were gig ready. I was given their set the night before and they could play every song on the list! I was very impressed, and they like my bass playing!

It's bad they asked you for money on a audition! Good that learned a whole bunch of songs at short notice!

Keep up the work!

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1347351910' post='1799575']
I wouldn't dream of asking an auditionee to pay their share. That's just f***ing rude and they should have recieved a slap in the bollocks instead.
[/quote]
Nail and Head. The effing cheek. I would also of set fire to them and cut the brake pipes on their vehicles.

Run away as fast as possible and don't look back.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1347322154' post='1799434']
Here's the list I was sent, admittedly, there are quite a few on there I don't like, so it's probably best that it did not work out.

[b][i]All Right Now[/i][/b]
[b][i]Billie Jean[/i][/b]
[b][i]Crossroads[/i][/b]
[b][i]Don’t Believe A Word[/i][/b]
[b][i]Ever Fallen In Love[/i][/b]
[b][i]Jumping Jack Flash[/i][/b]
[b][i]Louie Louie[/i][/b]
[b][i]Piece Of My Heart[/i][/b]
[b][i]Riders On The Storm[/i][/b]
[b][i]She Sells Sanctuary[/i][/b]
[b][i]Sunshine Of Your Love[/i][/b]
[b][i]Teenage Kicks[/i][/b]
[b][i]Times Like These[/i][/b]
[b][i]Tush[/i][/b]
[b][i]Whiskey In The Jar[/i][/b]
[b][i]Whole Lotta Rosie[/i][/b]
[b][i]With A Little Help From My Friends[/i][/b]
[/quote]

walk away - if 'sex on fire' isn't it the setlist then they're not worth bothering with

;)

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1347322668' post='1799439']

[/quote]

this plus a squillion

i agree with mr skanks and would shout it even louder

anybody who makes the claim of ...[b][i]very experienced musicians, played in bands for years[/i][/b] .... and then cant even busk those 17 songs needs to be shouted down very loudly indeed

and then burn them - theyre probably a witch :crazy:

Had a parallel experience last year during my great "i'm gonna join a band after a 15 year break" comeback.

Local guys needed a bass player, had a setlist which included some stuff i liked and some that looked fun to learn so i auditioned and got the job. Guitarists were fine, singer ok and i thought the drummer was steady but unspectacular.
Had 2 rehearsals with them ready for 1st gig in a months time and discovered the drummer couldnt play the same thing twice - he seemed ok initially and just seemed to throw a wobbler at random points in a song (you know, the old massive tom roll and get back in somewhere else in the song ;-)). My approach is a "play it until we nail it and then move on" sort of thing but theirs was a "never mind, we'll try it next rehearsal cos we're getting bored now" view. They had been together for 4 years rehearsing every 2 weeks.
I can cope with flat singers and geetards but the one thing i do need is a solid drummer that i can hook up with.