Why become a member? ×

I auditioned for a "gig-ready" band!

thebrig

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1347402733' post='1800483']
It's sometimes difficult to pitch an advert right.

We need a singer. I'm conscious of putting out an ad that says:

"We're a bunch of 40something guys who've been in various bands but never gigged together. We've had 2 rehearsals and have 8 songs that are sounding good but need a singer to go any further. Hope to be gigging within a month of finding right singer."

All truthful but wonder how many takers we would get.
[/quote]

If you word it like that you'll probably be inundated with singers who think "that sounds like my type of band". What you won't get is the X-factor wannabees with no clue.

Try it, you have nothing to lose.

Steve

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1347369728' post='1799859']
Its all very well if you have lived in an area for ages, and grown into the music scene there, but if you move somewhere new or are just getting started it can be quite hard to find a good band to play with! I used to live in Manchester and had no trouble getting in bands and getting gigs around the city, I had a little black book full of numbers if I needed someone too. but then I moved down to brighton and after 3 years I'm just starting to get connected with a few people.

Gumtree has been good, but turning up to jam nights even just to watch at first before joining in (when you're confident enough) can work well to get you known. Lots of people turn up to these things when they need a bass player.. drummer etc. There seems to be a larger percentage of muppets down here, or maybe I was just lucky in manchester...
[/quote]
I know the feeling!

I got into my first proper band when I was 13. After that I was never without a band for more than a fortnight, and I never had to call anyone, everyone seemed to have my number and I'd get people I'd never met turning up at my door asking if I'd be in their band. At the age of 17, after a lot of family trouble, I had to move away and I couldn't tell anyone where I was going, including the band I was in. I loved that band, it was fantastic, with talented musicians and really good people. Since then I have only had a few approaches from people who'd heard I played and got the occasional "We should totally do something, dude!", but nothing's ever worked out. 20 years later and I'd still love to play with other people. But 4 years ago I moved 160 miles away from everyone I knew (except my wife, she's the one that dragged me here), to the middle of nowhere, and I don't know anyone as I never bloomin' go out. Jam nights are no good because what I'd really like to do is Blackened Death Metal... At my age! I've got a pretty big rig sitting here in my music/computer room and it's never been used in anger, such a waste (but it [i]was[/i] cheap). There's no hope for me.

Edited by KingBollock

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1347403471' post='1800495']

If you word it like that you'll probably be inundated with singers who think "that sounds like my type of band". What you won't get is the X-factor wannabees with no clue.

Try it, you have nothing to lose.

Steve
[/quote]

Reading it this morning it doesn't look too bad. Lol.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1347403611' post='1800499']

Since then I have only had a few approaches from people who'd heard I played and got the occasional "We should totally do something, dude!", but nothing's ever worked out.
Jam nights are no good because what I'd really like to do is Blackened Death Metal... At my age! ...
[/quote]

Few good points there.

The first is flaky people who don't have a great deal of drive or are busy doing life stuff. I know plenty of musicians, but tying them down to play is hard. I think if the gigs are there and you know what market to aim at you're sorted.

If there is no market for the music you are into then you either have to broaden your musical aspirations or never play.

I'm not sure which direction the latest project I'm in will go. It's not lacking in drive, not sure if the genre is right, not sure if all the musicians can commit to regular gigs (or even want to).

Meanwhile I'm thinking time for a jam night.

Although last nights rehearsal with my other band was smoking. Go figure!

Edited by TimR

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1347320612' post='1799421']

The guy told me that they were all very experienced musicians, played in bands for years, and aim to be gigging in a few weeks time.

[/quote]

The more bands you play in and the longer you have been playing, the more you will learn to smell a rat early on.

This forum is good for advice from other players but somethings you just have to learn.

You say 'He told', did you speak to him or was all correspondence through email. I find speaking to someone on the phone gives you a much better idea of whether you're all on the same page. The pauses between answers, the way they speak, questions you can ask as soon as they arise based on his previous answers.

It's then very easy to say on the phone, "Sorry I don't think I'm what you're looking for."

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1347438083' post='1800674']
The more bands you play in and the longer you have been playing, the more you will learn to smell a rat early on.

This forum is good for advice from other players but somethings you just have to learn.

You say 'He told', did you speak to him or was all correspondence through email. I find speaking to someone on the phone gives you a much better idea of whether you're all on the same page. The pauses between answers, the way they speak, questions you can ask as soon as they arise based on his previous answers.

It's then very easy to say on the phone, "Sorry I don't think I'm what you're looking for."
[/quote]
I spoke to him on the phone a couple of times, and he was very convincing, and seemed to say all the "right" things, as far as I could tell.

The funny thing is though, when I arrived at the rehearsal studio, I said to them all, "I am feeling quite nervous, and I have only had a few hours to work on the seventeen songs you sent me", and they replied, don't worry, [b][i]we[/i][/b] will make allowances for [b][i]you[/i][/b]!
And yet, I knew all the songs more a less note for note, and they struggled to get through just three of them, and that's after being together for a couple of months.

Another funny thing that happened at the audition was, after struggling to get through the three songs they "did know", they seemed quite pleased with themselves and said, " [b][i]we just need to sort out the endings now[/i][/b]".

It's not so much their lack of ability I'm knocking, as we all have different levels, and everyone has a right to play, but it's the fact they actually believe that they are really good, and will be wowing the public very soon! :unsure:

BTW, If you live anywhere near Herts, Beds or Bucks, they could be playing at a pub near you soon!!!

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1347395296' post='1800331']
Nearly...it's just a 12 bar shuffle in 4/4 in G.[/quote]

Doddy is my guru and what he says [i]goes[/i]. Belay any previous statements I have made, apart from the bit about the armadillo.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1347447610' post='1800845']

BTW, If you live anywhere near Herts, Beds or Bucks, they could be playing at a pub near you soon!!!
[/quote]

This was why I asked you to pm me their name, so that I could avoid the trauma of seeing them or getting fooled in to auditioning for them :)

Loving all the audition advice here even though I've never been to one. The bands I've been in were a a case of a collegues/friends do you fancy knock type senario panning out into gigging bands. First time I was bricking it mind as they were experienced gigging types and I was just learning to play guitar. Jacked that in when my mental health went a bit wobbly due to work. Jacked the job and got blagged into playing bass by a friend and formed an accoustic duo which became a trio within a week and never looked back. If this folded I would audition for definate as I just love playing and have an hankering to play soul music as I'm learning to read music and find soul tunes realy good this. I've done a few dep gigs on guitar with people I know and don't know if I'm brave or foolish cos I just throw myself into music situations and love a good jam/open mic night with other musicians even if some one has to shout the chords out as we're playing.

BTW much prefer playing bass :)

Christ my memories bad (an age thing) I did audition many many years ago for a well astablished celidh band with a good rep in those circles (I worked with the caller). They knocked me back saying I was to RAWK. Me thinks they were letting me down gently cos they were bloody good.

Edited by simes

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1347457849' post='1801076']
This was why I asked you to pm me their name, so that I could avoid the trauma of seeing them or getting fooled in to auditioning for them :)
[/quote]
I don't think it would be fair to expose them fully, but they are called [i][b]The D*#@*^~#,*~#S [/b][/i](13 letters).

And in case anyone starts guessing, it's not [i][b]DICKHEADS[/b][/i] (that's only 9 letters) :lol:

I'll avoid anyone called [i][b]The Dangleberries[/b][/i] then!!! :lol:

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1347459831' post='1801116']
I don't think it would be fair to expose them fully, but they are called [i][b]The D*#@*^~#,*~#S [/b][/i](13 letters).

And in case anyone starts guessing, it's not [i][b]DICKHEADS[/b][/i] (that's only 9 letters) :lol:
[/quote]

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1347464252' post='1801210']
I'll avoid anyone called [i][b]The Dangleberries[/b][/i] then!!! :lol:
[/quote]

You got to have a sense of humour to call yourself a dangleberry!! Plus, its worth going to see them once! It would be funny to go see how deluded they really are, not only that if their over confident an rubbish thats even funnier!! Got to be worth it just the once!!

It's worth noting that there is a band called The Dangleberries who are a well established (since 2001) band in Scotland who seem to appear at just about every festival there is up here. While they aren't my cup of tea, I don't believe that they are the band (read - loosely affiliated group of musicians who have ideas beyond their capabilities or readiness) that is being referred to here.

Link: [url="http://www.thedangleberries.com/"]http://www.thedangleberries.com/[/url]

Not [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][i][b]The Dangleberries[/b][/i] or [/font][/color][b][i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The DamnWe'reCrap[/font][/color][/i][/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif], but you can keep trying if you want folks.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]As I mentioned earlier, they are booked to do a [i]New Year's Eve[/i] gig in a pub, so be careful if you are choosing to catch a band to see the new year in.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][i]Clue:[/i] The pub is in Hertfordshire next to a river.[/font][/color]

Edited by thebrig

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1347437295' post='1800663']
Few good points there.

The first is flaky people who don't have a great deal of drive or are busy doing life stuff. I know plenty of musicians, but tying them down to play is hard. I think if the gigs are there and you know what market to aim at you're sorted.

If there is no market for the music you are into then you either have to broaden your musical aspirations or never play.

I'm not sure which direction the latest project I'm in will go. It's not lacking in drive, not sure if the genre is right, not sure if all the musicians can commit to regular gigs (or even want to).

Meanwhile I'm thinking time for a jam night.

Although last nights rehearsal with my other band was smoking. Go figure!
[/quote]
I have to say, I'm not [i]quite[/i] so restrictive in what I'd like to play as I made out. I want to play Rock/Metal, but I really, really don't want to do the bog standard Rock covers band thing. I don't mind doing some covers, but I'd rather work on original stuff.
To be able to do the Blackened Death Metal thing would be ace, in a 6 piece band including keyboards. But I'd quite happily do something Thrashy/Megadethy/Slayery. Or even a 3 piece type thing in a Motorheady kind of way. I never know what genre to put W.A.S.P. in, they seem to be one all by themselves, but something like that would be ace too.
Other problems for me include living in the middle of nowhere and being unable to drive. We have a Mazda Bongo, which would be great for shifting gear, but my wife works odd shifts and pinning her down to a certain time each week to give me a lift to rehearsals just couldn't happen. Also, I'm not bothered if it never leaves the garage, I'm not bothered about gigging or making any money at it. I just want to get together with friendly people and write/play heavy music.
There was a time when I would have considered Country or Folk music, but, while I enjoy listening to them, I don't enjoy playing them.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1347471408' post='1801352']

There was a time when I would have considered Country or [i]Folk[/i] music, but, while I enjoy listening to them, I don't enjoy playing them.

[/quote]

It's just about the most fun you can have playing a bass! Freedom to do you own thing from pounding root to playing insane harmonies. No-one to complain that "you didn't play that Entwhistle" or whoever. Folk music is such a wide field that you can find kindred spirits to play just about anything in any style.

Steve

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1347482620' post='1801558']
It's just about the most fun you can have playing a bass! Freedom to do you own thing from pounding root to playing insane harmonies. No-one to complain that "you didn't play that Entwhistle" or whoever. Folk music is such a wide field that you can find kindred spirits to play just about anything in any style.

Steve
[/quote]
To be honest, I'd rather grab my Banjo, Penny Whistle or Bodhran than my Bass for Folk or Country. Which is a bit odd as I love both genres and I also love the Bass. Bass is my first and main instrument, it's what I'm best at and I love playing it.

Edited by KingBollock

When I think about it, even though I am very limited in my bass playing abilites, I have never went to an audition where I didn`t know anyone in the band and thought to myself "I am simply not good enough to play with this band."

Either I am:

1 Better than I think I am
2 Deluded
3 Have never played with really good muso`s.

It's basic teamwork. 90% of the bass players job is to lock in with the drummer. If you're playing basic pop it's very hard to go wrong. Learn the tunes and play them. People get into trouble when they try to reinvent the wheel.

My brother had a lot of trouble with a bass player who kept adding frilly stuff and messed up the basics.

Auditions like the OP just highlight that there are people who don't pick up their instruments between practices and who don't listen to the original and stick to the form.

Most of the issues I've had in bands are when they've decided to make a song their own by adding verses and missing out tricky middle8s.

The first question to ask is do they have charts? The second is do they play as per the original?