Why become a member? ×

I'm nervous about tonight...

Evil Undead

I have a gig tonight, and I'm nervous. Not for the reasons you'd expect.

We're playing an outdoors beer festival, and the thing I'm nervous about is taking my beloved bass to the gig! I only have the one so I have to take this one.

It's outdoors so I'm concerned about the weather, but also about the hundreds of drunks that are going to be there. Don't really like the thought of having someone spill drinks on my bass, getting bumped into by drunken dancing, and all the other possibilities of damage. Also I've heard lots of stories of people having their basses stolen at gigs.

Is this something that others worry about, or is it just me?

I wouldn't worry too much, has the venue provided a marquee or something to keep at least the amps dry? I'd say they need to do that at a minimum as we're talking about mains power.

Regarding drunks and your gear, if you're worried, stick it in the car between sets - bass / pedals anyway.

Will there be a stage, or are you at floor level?

For what it's worth, I've done a fair few marquee type gigs and it's been no bother. I even took my Guild (one of only 335 ever made, would be quite peeved if something happened to that) to one - it was no trouble.

I don't think you'll have any bother, I would suggest that people who attend beer festivals actually appreciate beer and aren't going there just to get hammered and fall over - you can do that with Carling and Sambuca (or whatever guff they're serving during happy hours) far more cost effectively (with less challenges in the taste department).

I would hope you'll be somewhat protected from the elements by a gazebo at least?

While I haven't done a tremendous number of gigs (just over 30), I've never had any bother with punters. I've played at floor level in a glorified living room with too many people in it with my Victory Artist and there was no grief.

I've played in every hole, to every kind of audience you can imagine, drunks, punks, Hells Angels etc, with fights going on, spitting, etc (not EVERY gig I hasten to add) over the years, and during that time I've used, Overwaters, Shukers, Musicmans, Laklands etc etc, and never once has anyone ever touched any of my gear.

I can understand your worry, but there's really no need. Basses are made to play. get in there and have fun is my advice.

I can understand your worries Mel, but in reality, Precisions are very hard to damage beyond repair. So whilst getting a knock would be very annoying, it would be unlikely to damage the bass beyond being able to be played - look at Keefs Tele and how he used it against a stage invader.

When I do gigs such as the one you`re doing, the only time my bass is out of its case is when I`m playing it. I also never have the case out of my line of vision. Whilst there may be many drunks falling about/into each other, usually they still manage to not interfere with the bands, especially if there is a staged area. I don`t know if you do backing vocs, but even if you don`t, get a mic and stand set up in front of you. Then, if a drunk collides with anything, they`ll hit that first, and recoil away, leaving you/bass untouched.

With regards to getting it nicked, outdoor gigs/festivals are a bit more risky as your gear is more exposed, but minimise the risk by keeping your kit within eyeshot wherever possible. Saying that, I've done a fair few and never had any problems.

Unless you're playing in church/theatre, you'll probably be playing in front of many drunken punters (hopefully dancing) wherever you play. Beer wipes off. You will inevitably ding your bass at some point, and it's a lot cooler to say that it happened during a beer festival gig, than "it fell over in my lounge and hit the coffee table"

In other words, minimise the risks by following the advice of those above, then try not to worry about it and have fun ¦:¬)

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1346410366' post='1788861']
... I don`t know if you do backing vocs, but even if you don`t, get a mic and stand set up in front of you. Then, if a drunk collides with anything, they`ll hit that first, and recoil away, leaving you/bass untouched.
[/quote]

I like this :)

While there is a drum kit on stage, your bass is safe as long as it's tucked out of the way (behind your rig). The drunkards always fancy themselves as a drummer :)

If you are doing backing vox, set your mic stand up with one of the legs pointing straight at you so that you can stand on it whenever a drunkard looms close - your teeth will thank you :) It will still hurt, but shouldn't take any of them out

We played a rowdy trailer-gig last week and survived, even though our drummer wrecked the drum kit that was supplied.

Two further suggestions for you:

Sounds obvious I know, but make sure that at least one member of the band is with the equipment at all times, including setting up. Don't all walk off and leave a tempting load of kit while you have a break/drink/loo break/whatever.

Be careful when loading cars at the end. Again, make sure at least one person stands guard over open cars while you walk back and forth. It's not unknown for thieves to wait until this time to nick things.

Good luck with your gig.

Steve

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1346405154' post='1788753']
I have a gig tonight, and I'm nervous. Not for the reasons you'd expect.

We're playing an outdoors beer festival, and the thing I'm nervous about is taking my beloved bass to the gig! I only have the one so I have to take this one.

Is this something that others worry about, or is it just me?
[/quote]

Yes - I worry about this , so consider the following which is my policy.

a) buy yourself something less precious for next time.

B) lock your bass away in the car as soon as the show is over OR keep it on your person

c) Ask the organisers bo make sure drunkards are kept an eye on while the band's playing - maybe get some trusted mates to watch the stage area.

d) do not put up with any stage invasion or stuff being thrown (not even beer mats). Zero tolerance. Stop playing until the wrongdoers are ejected . Pack up and go home if the organisers don't respect this.

e) go against your better nature , lift yourself to your full height , take a deep breath and be prepared - when there is no alternative at all - to punch someone fully in the face. So far - adopting that 'look' has been enough for me , thankfully , but if my 73P was under threat and I couldn't get away I wouldn't hesitate for a second. The only way to relieve me of that instrument is to take it from my cold , dead hands.

f) relax a little. Beer festivals ted to be populated by folk as passionate about beer as you are about music. They want to enjoy themselves and will - likely as not - step in and stop any odd trouble makers in their tracks.

Edited by Dr.Dave

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1346435039' post='1789271']Beer festivals ted to be populated by folk as passionate about beer as you are about music. They want to enjoy themselves and will - likely as not - step in and stop any odd trouble makers in their tracks.
[/quote]

This. I've played quite a few beer festivals and have always found them to be great audiences if you're on early.... go on late and a lot of them will be rather "subdued" :lol: