Why become a member? ×

First gig you went to - who was in the band?

paulconnolly

Thinking about the Atlantic Crossing thread. My first proper gig was Rod Stewart at Belle Vue stadium Manchester around 1976. I was only just getting in to music then and certainly hadn't entertained being a bass player (some say I'm still not but that's another story :lol: ). Looking at the list of top musicians on the Atlantic Crossing album does it bear any relation to who was in his touring band at that time? Did I get to see Lee Sklar, Duck Dunn or whoever and being a spotty 15yr old only interested in coping an eyeful of Britt Ekland (yes she was there) not realise I was in the presence of a bass playing genius?

BTW support to Rod that night was Liverpool Express. IIRC bass player broke an E string and played the whole support slot on a 3 string bass :blink:

So in your formative years were you at a gig featuring a bass legend but you didn't realise it?

The first gig I ever went to was Rockpile - Dave Edmunds & Nick Lowe - in about 1979 (my Mum took me, as our neighbour worked at the venue, and got us in for free).

So Nick Lowe on bass, well I suppose a decent enough starter.

My first (Proper) gig was supported by non other than Ellis Beggs and Howard. I dont remember a chapman stick anywere though :D I wouldnt have recognised one back then if he had poked me in the eye with it!!

A

Edited by apa

Slade in the summer of '73 at Blackburn King George's
.....................though a few weeks previously the prefects at school who had a band did a gig in the hall, mostly Purple covers IIRC - but I thought their name was brilliant, "Grympen Myre" - a mis-spelling of the bog in "Hound Of The Baskervilles" :lol:

Carribean Music Festival at Wembley Arena in about 1970, with a friend and his mum ('cos we had only just got in to our teens). I can't remember all the acts but I'm pretty sure it included Bob & Marcia, Desmond Dekker, the Maytals and the Pioneers.

First gig on my own (well, with a girlfriend) was Ronnie Lane's Slim Chance at City University. 1974 I think.

Mahogany Rush as a first gig!! You RRRRROCK! Probably Paul Harwood on bass. I saw them at Port Vale football ground supporting Motorhead - Ozzy was on the bill with Randy Rhodes and Rudy Sarzo on guitar and bass respectively.

My first was Gillan with John McCoy on bass, Bernie Torme on guitar, Colin Towns, keys, and Mick Underwood on drums. Support were two bands called Quartz and White Spirit, the latter having a young Janick Gers (now Iron Maiden) on guitar.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1346356521' post='1788355']
Mahogany Rush as a first gig!! You RRRRROCK! Probably Paul Harwood on bass. I saw them at Port Vale football ground supporting Motorhead - Ozzy was on the bill with Randy Rhodes and Rudy Sarzo on guitar and bass respectively.

My first was Gillan with John McCoy on bass, Bernie Torme on guitar, Colin Towns, keys, and Mick Underwood on drums. Support were two bands called Quartz and White Spirit, the latter having a young Janick Gers (now Iron Maiden) on guitar.
[/quote]

Whoa, my lot supported Janek when he was in White Spirit and we got a gig through him supporting Gillan as well. Me Ma still has the poster with White Spirit and us from Hartlepool Town Hall :blush: .
My first was Quo, with Alan on bass, Darlington Civic Theater 1967, I was just turned 9.

Edited by karlfer

first big gig i went to was 1976 rick wakeman at hammersmith odeon on the no earthly connection tour

i had the fortune to have a chat with him during the interval of a travis gig at ally pally a few years ago and made him laugh when i told him it was still the loudest gig ive been to :lol:

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1346356910' post='1788363']
None other than Eric Clapton in 1988 as a spotty 13 year old.

Eric, Nathan East, Greg Phillinganes, Steve Ferrone, Ray Cooper, Phil Palmer, Tessa Niles and Katie Kissoon.What a fantastic group of musicians that was.
[/quote]

Now that's about as serious an introduction to live music as you could get. Was it at the RAH? That's where I saw them that year, and for about then 7-8 years at Eric's regular RAH residencies. My son also attended one of those concerts when he was about -1 month old, before deciding to arrive into the world on EC's birthday. :lol: Happy memories.

[/quote]

Was that in the Top Rank on Queen Street? I was there too. :)

I can't remember what my first ever gig was - It might have been Sutherland Brothers & Quiver, It might have been Sandy Denny (with bass legend Danny Thompson as support) or it may well have been Queen with Manfred Mann's Earth Band supporting.
It could also have been Steeleye Span......it's all so very long ago.

The first gig I ever went to on my own (without an elder sibling as chaperone) was Hawkwind on the Live '79 tour, closely followed two days later by Motorhead.

[/quote]

Haa I wondered if anyone would remember Mohogany Rush. Being my first concert I was pretty blown away. I went to see them because I was into Hendrix and Hawkwind when at school. Most of the early gigs I saw were at Newcastle city hall or the swallow hotel. Thanks for spelling Gillan correctly, so long ago I couldn't remember how to spell it.