Why become a member? ×

Pub landlord 'bans' certain songs

Len_derby

A pub near to me has, over the last couple of years, become a regular venue for bands. The landlord has built the pub up nicely, with good ale on offer too.

He's just put out a message on the pub's Facebook page saying that any band that attempts to play the following songs will be fined £40.
Wishing Well, Sex on Fire, Teenage Kicks.

I laughed when I read it and I suspect it's been done tongue-in-cheek.
I know, from conversations I've had with him, that he's a genuine music fan. Maybe some of the regulars have been grumbling to him, I don't know yet.
What do you think? How would you feel if the landlord asked you to knock certain songs out of your set?

Good on him. I can't be asked to go out to see cover bands around here these days! Sad I know, but I don't listen to the same 30 songs on my iPod, so why should I when I make the effort to go out lol!

Come on cover bands! Sure, there are some songs that are crowd pleasers, but really.. Can ya not think of anything else to play?

Ok, so I'm having a playful jibe, but i agree with the landlord :)

If it's what his regulars have asked him to do then absolutely fair enough. Most of us are bored of playing them anyhow. If it's just his personal taste then by all means he has every right to request you don't play them but on his own head be it. We know too well how some of the less music concious punters in many pubs will be miffed if they don't get what they want.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1345921199' post='1783227']
Please make them ban Mustang Sally :P

I think any covers band that does that should be taken into the street and shot :lol:
[/quote]

Mustang Sally is a cracking song. Possibly a victim of it's own success, but any song that is still being played after 45 years must have something good about it. I wish I'd written it.

I used to be able to say the above and then add that I'd never actually played it, but I did actually play it a few weeks ago, so can't say that any more.

It's a strange twist that many bands would prefer to play more varied/diverse stuff BUT when you do you get criticised for not playing <insert any song in the vein of the aforementioned banned songs>! The number of times over the last 30 years that I have spoken to other bands/musicians and the topic of covering (churning out) certain 'Classics' always comes up. However, there are certain venues where the crowd is just your average punter and they want to hear that stuff and would likely walk if they heard obscure bands or songs that they weren't familiar with. Saying that there are some bands that steadfastly refuse to trot out the same old stuff and they can and do pretty well, though they do on occasion fall flat on their face when they encounter a pub/crowd that wants the 'Classics'. ;)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1345971353' post='1783576']

O/T but is that your dog in your avatar? I've got a boxer with the same colouring and I thought it was him for a minute. He's the type of knobhead to wear a cape too.
[/quote]
The picture came from our singer.
Bit harsh about the cape lol
:)

Teenage kicks? One of the best songs ever.

Sex on fire? The chicks love it.

Wishing well? Good track but I have never played it live. But then again, I have never had to play all right now either for which I am eternally grateful.

That`s the problem being in a covers band. Do you play the same old mince as everyone else and get slagged off / slit your wrists, or play less well know tracks and get no response from the punters?

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='bobbytodd' timestamp='1345974671' post='1783625']
add summer of 69 and brown eyed girl im sick to death of them but our singer insists we do them :(
[/quote]

As a guitarist who had to play 'Summer of 69' at a wedding, I found it was really funny to leave a random pause after the drum fill at the start before coming in.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1345923681' post='1783280']
I think since hes paying the wages he has a say. Funny though.[b] I know of guitar shops that ban certain tunes[/b] - first time i have heard of a pub banning songs!
[/quote]

I use this in my derranged waffling when introducing Smoke on the water and Born to be wild at our gigs ..... I tell them I don't care if any of them own a guitar shop ..we like playing them!!!!......surprisingly it does get a chuckle from the audience.(though secretly I am mighty sick of playing them!!!) :ph34r: