Why become a member? ×

Pub landlord 'bans' certain songs

Len_derby

was having this same conversation with our local pub LL the other day.
He said we had changed our set since we first started playing there and that we are now more commercial...
We had the reputation for the being his best band and I hear that less these days as we do more pop dance singalong numbers..

I think it is just us in transition as we formulate our festival type set which loves the anthemic type songs against our initial 'players' cred.
After we complete this summer..we should have 3 sets..
pubs..which are getting less appealing these days
Parties/functions..altho, by no means are we a function band
and a festival set.
If you headline these..then you pretty much have to nail and close the show, so you need the crowd RIGHT into it... but then that set can miss the mark in certain pubs..funnily enough.
It is a strange balancing act and one we aren't entirely happy with.. but the latest emphasis is on good punchy songs where thre band can stretch out as this is the only thing that will make our time in pubs interesting...as they are just too much work for the money

Having said that..I dreaded the party last ..which went down a storm and was well paid ,and need to clear out the cobwebs in a new pub tonight..

weird.................

Of course, I don't want to see the same set played by zillions of bands... but then you need to get a following ..and be popular..??
If the LL said certain songs are banned, then not a problem..that would help us out on our set choice..but then don't complain when he has to shell out top $ for his best bands and then they don't draw so well...?????

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1346005305' post='1784036']
Just the pedant in me objecting to the modern mis-use of the word "decimate".
[/quote]

Ah, I thought it was more tongue-in-cheek than that.
Know where you're coming from though, and can be quite the pedant myself. Admittedly, I officially hate that languages develop "forward" by the help of people who don't know them.
"Decimate" is a lost case though, and has been for centuries IMS + IRC.

Now off to pay tithe to Ped.

best,
bert

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1345921199' post='1783227']
Please make them ban Mustang Sally :P

I think any covers band that does that should be taken into the street and shot :lol:
[/quote]

Small world, this IS 'band'd' from my local....or a large donnation to charity B)

IMO, I think more venues/pubs should ban tired old cliche'd songs but that would wipe out half the sets of half the bands and make them work much harder for their money.
But then there is no legislating for what is popular ..and the pubs sell beers on the back of how many people are in the bar...???

Edited by JTUK

Funnily we were hired by a guy to play in his bar based on the fact that we didn't really do any country and the majority of our set was quite modern and alternative. He booked us for a string of gigs with strict instructions to play "no yee-hah!" The first couple of gigs were a struggle trying to explain to his punters that the LL didn't want any country, so we weren't playing any. After the first couple of gigs we had a skeleton crowd at best and when our term ran out we weren't asked back.

In general though I am happy enough not to play certain songs. Over here in Northern Ireland there is the added malice of alternative lyrics, which are sung by certain paramilitary organisation members. A lot of pub owners ban those songs and quite rightly so.

Edited by Commando Jack

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1345919574' post='1783200']
I know, from conversations I've had with him, that he's a genuine music fan.
[/quote]

This makes no sense, anyone who appreciates music is a 'genuine music fan' and not all (or even most) 'genuine music fans' would necessarily like those songs, especially if hearing them over and over again with varying degrees of competance.

Also, am I the only person who finds people who aren't teenagers even if you squint and the light's bad singing songs like [i]Teenage Kicks[/i] a little creepy? :P

Edited by mrdreadful

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1345919574' post='1783200']
A pub near to me has, over the last couple of years, become a regular venue for bands. The landlord has built the pub up nicely, with good ale on offer too.

He's just put out a message on the pub's Facebook page saying that any band that attempts to play the following songs will be fined £40.
Wishing Well, Sex on Fire, Teenage Kicks.

I laughed when I read it and I suspect it's been done tongue-in-cheek.
I know, from conversations I've had with him, that he's a genuine music fan. Maybe some of the regulars have been grumbling to him, I don't know yet.
What do you think? How would you feel if the landlord asked you to knock certain songs out of your set?
[/quote]
We got told we had to drop a snow patrol song once, because it reminded the landlady of her child that died at childbirth. Fair enough in my book.