Why become a member? ×

What is your favourite brand of strings? (Survey)

davidmpires

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1344411928' post='1763944']
BTW if you want people to only pick one option in your poll you should have used radio buttons and not check boxes. I seleceted all the relevant options.

[/quote]

Not sure what you meant by radio buttons, it is the first time I set up a poll though.

Yeah some folks will tailor the strings to the bass others are loyal to a brand regardless of the fish.

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1344409005' post='1763908']
If you like zingy, you'll love Prosteel's! Been using them for a while now, had a set with a duff E string, quick email to D'Addario, couple of complimentary sets arrived less than 48 hours later, so great strings and great service.
[/quote]

That's awesome! Heard a few good things about their service, so I was more than happy to give them some business. Here's hoping I like the strings :P

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1344411495' post='1763936']
Ernie Ball, been using them on everything for a few years now. Mostly Slinkies, but i need a set of flats too.

Liam
[/quote]

Ditto. I've been using nothing but regular slinkys for the last 25 years or so. They last for ages & hold their tone - unlike most other strings I've tried. Plus most shops that actually stock bass strings will usually have Ernies.

D'Addario for me. Very wide choice of strings and reasonably priced online, also those coloured ballends (*teehee*) look fantastic ! I've got Chromes on 2 basses, XLs on the L-2000 and the T-40 will get some too, thankfully I know they'll fit as I can order extra long for the throughbody - not many brands have so much choice.

Difficult question, have voted ernie ball as i have the flats on my precision, the others have all got picato flats and i really like these too but the precision's my favorite and that has the ernies so that's what gets my vote. i had a long time on dr's but the stories of bad sets and duff strings put me off, if the quality has come back then that's probably what i'll fit to every bass except the precision.

i've only considered bass as well (i assumed that's what you were asking about) on my acoustic it has to be newtone heritage (just ordered 10 sets to keep me going) and on my electric guitars it's d'addario 10's (again order them 10 sets at a time to keep stock)

I've experimented with most of the major brand and overall I like d'addario best in terms of range/quality/value for money. Got their nylon tapewounds on my fretless (smooooooth) and their nickels on my 5 string..

if they did double ball end steels in my prefered guage I'd probably have them on my headless too, but they don't so I'm sticking with Elites on that for now as I haven't found a better dbe string.

For guitar, i like Ernie Ball slinkies, but that's out of years of habit more than anything else.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1344428526' post='1764274']
What's good about them that I should know?
[/quote]

I don't think there's anything special about them, but they are the only strings that seem 'right' for me. Any adventures into other brands have always left a sour taste either because of the sound, feel or quality, while the D'Addario sets are usually pretty consistant for me.

I would be first to admit though that the world of strings is vast, it is very difficult to systematically try strings out. When you've paid the best part of £20 for even a cheap set of strings the last thing you want to do is remove them and get another set.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1344428526' post='1764274']
What's good about them that I should know?
[/quote]

Have no idea.
What I do know though is they're available everywhere and seem consistent. Also, I keep getting them recommended by all kinds of sources, and this has lasted for almost 40 years.
Might there be an element of D'Addario doing well for both nylon and metals and for different styles of axes? I have no idea, mind. It's just a thought.

best,
bert

Huge Rotosound fan.
Their rounds (66 Swing) blown my socks off installed on my Peavey T-40, their flats (77 Jazz) are indomitable and solid as an anchor chain, while there's nothing better than a set of tapes (88 TruBass) for my beloved 70's style Telecaster Bass for that Double-Bass-On-Steroids Sound.

[quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1344406619' post='1763896']
Flavour of the month for me right now are D'addario Chromes. They're probably not to everyone's liking though.
[/quote]

+1, but roto 66's are a close second. Really digging my chromes ATM. After (IIRC) nearly 3 months of total playtime... they've started a new phase, super smooth and warm with a subtle bite. Chasing the tone dragon with nothing more than the maturation of a great set of strings.
Nickel 66's have grown on me too. Nice feel but a killer tone. I have only tried them on my two basses and they kill on both. Funnily enough as they deaden up they sound great too. Maybe I just like deader strings in general.

D'Addario for me too. I usually use XL nickel on everything but currently have some ProSteels on my Sadowsky. They are nice but not sure I need the extra zing. I plan to try Chrome flats on the Reverend at some point.
The only exception is that I really like an R Cocco taper core B, it just seems more responsive & balanced than the stock XL B string.

[quote name='PTB' timestamp='1344499108' post='1765342']
The only exception is that I really like an R Cocco taper core B, it just seems more responsive & balanced than the stock XL B string.
[/quote]

Have you tried La Bella Hard Rocking Steels? They have a taper core B too.

Are there any strings with a taper core E as well?