Why become a member? ×

What Value Is Your 'Pub Gig' Bass?

spongebob

Played my 1982 P bass on sunday, was a bit miffed when it got clouted by the rhythm guitarist, then again the singer on waving his hands about hit the machine heads and put 2 strings out, on the only song I play a kinda solo bit over the bass drone notes.... doh. Back to the 2003 workhorse I guess

Had been using my MIM Jazz/MIM Precision (only cost me £400 for both of them- bargains!) but for the last few gigs I've used my modded Squier Standard J because I actually reckon it's the better bass of the three. Besides, the acoustics are never that great that anyone in the crowd can tell the difference! All my cash went into getting an amp that could hold its own without snapping my spine.

How are we making the valuations here, what the bass cost or what it would cost to replace new? My MIA jazz is my main gig bass when I'm in a band. It was bought S/H for less than £400 but I doubt I'd find an equivalent one again at that price and god knows what one costs new and shiny, over twice that I guess.

Depends on the music, either a 2004 CIJ '62 Precision with flats or a '84 Tokai Hardpuncher with roundwounds both probably worth no more than £400.
Used for any gigs - pubs, weddings, functions etc...

I own my basses in order to pay them (at gigs). So long as it look, sounds and plays right, that's all that matters. If I was worried about the safety of my gear at a gig, I'd probably also be be worried about my personal safety too and for me that's more important. Gear can always be repaired or replaced.

Edited by BigRedX

There should be a poll option for £75 and under then I'd be checking that box :P

Depends on the pub but if its murky like the OP suggested then it would be the Squier P - £75 Ebay bargain. If its more upmarket then something else would do the job but the Squier would come along as a backup.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1342115043' post='1729918']
Value/Price doesn't come into it for me, I gig what I own. My basses range in value from £200 - £5000 and I don't consider the value when I'm doing a gig, as they are instruments to be played and enjoyed. ;)
[/quote] :D :D :D so true

Edited by merlin

I just use whichever bass I'm enjoying at that particular time. All my basses are worth over a grand each. I've always thought that my basses are there to be played, not just looked at!

What about the value of your bass amp rig? Mine is about 3-4 thousand worth?