Why become a member? ×

Making things sound better than they really are.

arthurhenry

The singer in one of my bands is very keen on telling audiences that he has toured "many years ago" with half the bands we cover. When he introduces each member of the band, he mentions all the big name musicians we have(n't) all worked with. He's very keen on telling people about all the big money gigs we do, some abroad, for all kinds of well known people (all lies). He's a fairly extreme case, but I've often noticed how musicians over-exaggerate things to make them sound more impressive than they really are.

Examples please!

I hate that kind of stuff. Most musicians once they've been playing for a certain amount of time will have had musical encounters with other who were or have gone on to be better known than they are.

Personally I prefer to concentrate on what I'm doing musically at the moment rather than dwelling on the past.

Well I've played with the likes of David Gilmore, Brian May, Robbie Williams, Sir Paul McCartney, and many many more...... They've been on my CD player and I've been sat in my living room on my bass :P

I hate that kind of false credibility... Just let your music do the talking... In my experience the people who boast about who they have played with are usually overcompensating for a lack of skill.... Its those that have the stories to tell but generally choose not to that intrigue me most :D

If it's done with tongue-in-cheek, I can imagine it would be fairly amusing. If - on the other hand - it's a leaden namecheck of dead men and never-was-es, then I imagine the audience could get a little restless.

One front-chap I worked with was given to 'extended' raps. One night he prefaced a song with "It's so great to be here. We just went into the studio with (small-time local producer) and...".

Some wag piped up: "Shut the f*** up and play the song you prat."

Don't look at me.

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

Members of this band have played with ..... looks good on a function band C.V. to the uneducated eye however most musos will know that most of this is complete bs and that everyone does it to try and make themselves look better however i don't think i've ever been booked on the strength of my "i've played with/supported list" Which fyi includes Wretch 32, Ed Sheeran, Ms Bratt and lioness (charity gig at proud 2 at the o2 never saw any of them) The Rascals (formerly lil rascals currently touring with Connor Maynard did one gig with them and then the management cut costs) Ben Marvin (son of Hank Marvin of The Shadows in reality i do a function band with him and hes a really sound guy)

so yeh it's pretty easy to make things sound a lot better than they are and hey if it gets you the gig why not? :D

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1340928987' post='1711769']
Saw a black Motown Tribute band (American) whom, over the course of the 2 x 1 hour sets, must have introduced each other at least 10 times.....

G.
[/quote]

I playd in a covers band from near Tamworth that used to do that. Big fish small pond, they thought. While the punters thought - put ncely.- legends in their own imaginations

You can overdo it sometimes !

Edited by BRANCINI

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1340924382' post='1711737']
I'll never forget the first 5 words Ronnie Wood said to me..... "Who the f*** are you?"
[/quote]

Immediately followed by 'And how did you get in here?'

The one that usually cracks me up is when someone says they've 'played with' some artist and give the impression they have been in their backing band when they actually mean they have been in a support band that has played before said artist.

A band I was in in the 80's had a publicity pack where one of the "articles" about us was actually a pretty good review from a 70's issue of Melody Maker with the names changed. It was quite successful for us, but if it gets you a foot in the door, make sure you can back it up.

“Bragging” on stage, though, is an embarrassment.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1340962974' post='1712020']
I'll never forget Kate Bush's big wide eyes when she last saw me and said....

"I've told you before, get off my lawn, there's a restraining order on you, guards! Release the hounds! That pervert's back again...."
[/quote]

They were hounds of [i]love[/i] though Dave. She was trying to send a message and you missed your chance ;)

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1340962974' post='1712020']
I'll never forget Kate Bush's big wide eyes when she last saw me and said....

"I've told you before, get off my lawn, there's a restraining order on you, guards! Release the hounds! That pervert's back again...."
[/quote]

HAAAAA! I remember you! Me 'n' Kate had one h*ll of a laugh afterwards.

Edited by BassTractor

Me: "I've played with Bill Bruford"

Truth: Had to get something from a cupboard in the room where BB was doing a course. BB asked me for an A on the piano besides the cupboard. Oh yes, I've played with Bill Bruford alright! :)

Edited by BassTractor