Why become a member? ×

Do you consider yourself an "expert" bass player?

Jam

Looking for a new singer, have found someone locally who plays bass and guitar as well as singing, and on their profile they have to state their proficiency on their instruments. Guitar: Intermediate, Vocals: Lead, Bass: Expert.

As far as I can tell from their blurb they've only been playing bass about 4/5 years...I've been playing for twice that and I still feel like a complete beginner... Stupidly, I'm quite annoyed!

What about you guys, do you consider yourself an "expert"?

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1337467794' post='1660618']
The more experienced you are, the better your ability to recognise how far away you are from being an expert.
[/quote]

I like that.

Glad it's not just me that feels this way!

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1337467794' post='1660618']
The more experienced you are, the better your ability to recognise how far away you are from being an expert.
[/quote]

Yep, I'd say that applies to almost anything in life and certainly in music. I wonder how many musicians would ever claim to be 'expert' on their chosen instrument, never mind someone who has only been playing for 4/5 years.

Perhaps they're using a different definition of 'expert'. Expert in playing root notes in 4/4 time perhaps? ;)

[quote name='Jam' timestamp='1337467334' post='1660609']
on their profile they have to state their proficiency on their instruments. Guitar: Intermediate, Vocals: Lead, Bass: Expert.
[/quote]

Oh dear. My advice is don't bother. The thing about the 'expert' players in this world is that they're getting their heads down and just doing the playing instead of disappearing up their own arse.

Me personally, I just play, and if people like what I play then I'm happy to be a part of what they're/we're doing!

Depends on the context.

When I'm playing in a great venue with musicians I really admire and respect to a horde of punters who've paid for the privilege, I sometimes think 'Yeah.. I must be doing this right'.

...then someone posts a clip on here of their latest solo bass composition, and suddenly I feel hopeless.

It's like a finger pointing at the moon - DON'T concentrate on the finger or you will miss AAAAAALLLLLLL the heavenly glory....

I suppose I'm pretty good, I've also got computer hacking skills and bow-hunting skills. <_<

Guitar: Intermediate, Vocals: Lead, Bass: Expert.
[/quote]

There is a great danger that they may believe a fallacy that bassists know to be false;

[b]Intermediate guitar ability = Utter bass awesomeness[/b]

I myself have a great deal to learn after playing for a... err... long time.

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The more experienced you are, the better your ability to recognise how far away you are from being an expert. [/font][/color][/quote]

nailed it

however how would you define expert? is it being professional? in my opinion being professional is not about being expert at all its about doing the right things consistently so in reality is it neccisary to consider yourself an expert surely as long as your professional standard then is being (or considering yourself to be) an expert that important at the end of the day i would be focused on the amount/quality of the calls your getting? i would hazard that its more than him

Guitar: Intermediate, Vocals: Lead, Bass: Expert.
[/quote]

Are you sure he's not just telling you how far he's got playing Rock Band on his Playstation?