Why become a member? ×

Bass and amp matches made in heaven??

Jigster

I've been struggling the last few months with my TC rig - it just didn't seem to produce anything I could appreciate - okay rehearsal room conditions and all that - (and my playing!!) but it didn't feel like I could get any sort of decent sound.

Few weeks back bought a Yamaha 5er with modded EMG pick ups and in he recordings of last rehearsal, the bass seems so clear and articulate.

How is that? Do pick certain ups match amps? I guess?

Yep. Some combinations will work and some won't.

My Lakland sounded great with both my TC amps but the Lull was less clear. I went back to the Thunderfunk and the Lull just sings. So far all basses I've tried sound great with the TF.

I have to say that this could have just been me, because all the bands loved the TC with both basses!

Edited by chris_b

+1
My Sadowsky & Reverend sound great with my new Streamliner 900. I'm still working on getting the MTD to sound how I think it should. Hopefully, I'll get there soon....its early days and its fun trying!

[quote name='Jigster' timestamp='1332613273' post='1590766']
I've been struggling the last few months with my TC rig - it just didn't seem to produce anything I could appreciate - okay rehearsal room conditions and all that - (and my playing!!) but it didn't feel like I could get any sort of decent sound.

Few weeks back bought a Yamaha 5er with modded EMG pick ups and in he recordings of last rehearsal, the bass seems so clear and articulate.

How is that? Do pick certain ups match amps? I guess?
[/quote]

Interestingly enough the best sounding bass through my TC rig was Doods 7 string also EMG equipped. I really want to try a Dingwall super J through it though :)

My ACG sounds pretty mean through it too though :)

I like my TC rig but it does have its own sound that's very focused in on low mids. It's nice but it takes much more fiddling than my old Eden rig which used to be pretty much a plug in and play at any venue. To be honest, I'd play through most amps with my Lakland and the underlying character of the bass is always there, it almost doesn't matter what bass amp I'm using to an extent.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1332644831' post='1591142']
Yes! Specifically a USA 70s P + SVT CL + 8X10.
[/quote]

Great combination for sound and coincidentally, also the best combination for a life-time of back problems! :P

Edited by skej21

In the rehersal studio we use, I love the sound of a P through an Ashdown ABM and Ampeg 8x10 but sometimes they have an Ampeg SVT and I think it sounds crap. I have tried several different Ampeg heads and they all sound crap when I play through them.

I think I will join Talkbass and see what they think about crap Ampegs :ph34r:

Jez

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1332677738' post='1591446']
I have tried several different Ampeg heads and they all sound crap [i]when I play through them[/i].[/quote]

:happy:

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1332677738' post='1591446']
I think I will join Talkbass and see what they think about crap Ampegs :ph34r:
[/quote]

Also see what they think about putting a Fender decal on your custom build. :lol: