Why become a member? ×

So I went to see Jack Bruce & His Big Blues Band Last Night...

Schnozzalee

...And I wasn't impressed. It took 3 songs into the gig before they got the sound check corrected, the opening artist was boring and Jack looked like he was just going through the motions - not to mention his 3 minute long solo - it was a repetitive ramble that went nowhere and was like me doing a warm up exercise (mis-fingered chord shapes on a fretless is a massive no no. I'm a massive Jack Bruce fan, his songs were the first I learnt on bass and his recorded improvisation is second to none (except maybe Jaco). I purchased one of 5 handsigned paintings and a T shirt but couldn't help leaving the gig feeling disappointed and a lil depressed, I haven't been that let down since I saw Whitesnake.

As rule I always assume the more experienced artists to put on a better show but I guess not...

Anyone else been to see him on this tour???

Edited by Schnozzalee

I haven't; but I heard several bad reviews of him on his last tour, which is why I didn't travel to the Robin to see him. Heard an i'view with him just a few weeks ago & he did sound like his age had caught up with him; possibly helped on it's way by his past indulgences.
Pity, because the classic Cream (60s) Albert Hall film is one of my fave music films.

Ahh that's a shame, he had a back up bass player who was playing circles around him on a fender jazz - i just assumed he had arthritis or something?? His singing was on the money but not a lot else, even the backup band was mediocre apart from the drummer who was the most entertaining part of it!! I only paid £25 for the actual gig, £30 for the handsigned painting and £20 for the T shirt. Still my favourite player but obviously past it :(

sorry but i have never ever rated him

i guess back in the days of cream, the improvisational element of his playing was new and his approach to bass at that time was in contrast to a lot of other things going on at that time

don't like his tone, the basses he uses - saw him on tv a few years ago noodling on a fretless and the intonation was appalling

if his hearing is failing he should stick to fretted basses

not positive a know

[quote name='Schnozzalee' timestamp='1332614685' post='1590789']
Ahh that's a shame, he had a back up bass player who was playing circles around him on a fender jazz - i just assumed he had arthritis or something?? His singing was on the money but not a lot else, even the backup band was mediocre apart from the drummer who was the most entertaining part of it!! I only paid £25 for the actual gig, £30 for the handsigned painting and £20 for the T shirt. Still my favourite player but obviously past it :(
[/quote]

Glad I have the memories. I saw the Graham Bond Organisation in Quaintways Chester in 1964/5, Jack Bruce playing a diminutive Fender 6 thingy, Dick Heckstall Smith on Tenor, Graham Bond on Hammond B3 and Leslie's also playing two (yes two) Alto's at one stage and Ginger Baker on Drums. At that time in my life it was absolutely amazing stuff, as I had only been playing (badly) for about a year. Saw the TV interview recently, I still like him, Classic stuff. Er he is an old man now but IMO groundbreaking for the time, think Felix Papapaladi from Mountain..

He may not be able to do at 68 what he did at 28, but Jack Bruce's accomplishments are legendary. It isn't necessary to like him, but to ignore his importance is historical revisionism. I'm not one to be starstruck by celebrities, but if I could pick one person to get an autograph from, it would probably be from Jack Bruce. That's how I feel about him.

Edited by Austin7

Agree totally with Austin7. I mean you wouldn't go to see a top class athlete or footballer several decades after their best achievements and expect the best they have to offer and World Records. I would look on this tour as a testimonial, not expecting world class playing but paying regards to a WORLD CLASS PLAYER.

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1332618250' post='1590855']
sorry but i have never ever rated him

i guess back in the days of cream, the improvisational element of his playing was new and his approach to bass at that time was in contrast to a lot of other things going on at that time

don't like his tone, the basses he uses - saw him on tv a few years ago noodling on a fretless and the intonation was appalling

if his hearing is failing he should stick to fretted basses

[/quote]

My sentiments as well, pretty much and I didn't get Cream either..

but give the guy a break, he is trooping along at a decent age.
Go to pay homage or whatever, if you like but don't expect anything like percieved past glories

I saw him on Thursday, and whilst I really enjoyed the show, I can understand your disappointment. I saw him twenty odd years ago, knowing virtually nothing about him, at Band on the Wall with Norman Beaker (and I think Simon Phillips on drums!). That was a real experience, and I've never since seen anyone perform with the conviction and zest that he showed. His fretless playing was not brilliant, intonation frequently a bit iffy...but he was also singing like I've never seen before, and you felt that he meant every word of it.

I saw moments of that on Thursday, but even though he is much older and has had significant health problems, the wit and the edge are still there. His bass playing didn't have all the energy I saw years ago, but it was just as rough at times...verging on free form jazz from the seventies. Not something many people would be allowed to do these days, outside of a Spinal Tap tribute act. One thing I really liked was that he was working with a new generation of great players, and seemed to be enjoying it (especially the drummer).

I think the volume of his amps was causing some problems on stage....and the vocal were getting cut back to avoid feedback, but its his gig, so I can forgive him that!

[quote name='Schnozzalee' timestamp='1332608340' post='1590688']
...And I wasn't impressed. It took 3 songs into the gig before they got the sound check corrected, the opening artist was boring and Jack looked like he was just going through the motions - not to mention his 3 minute long solo - it was a repetitive ramble that went nowhere and was like me doing a warm up exercise (mis-fingered chord shapes on a fretless is a massive no no. I'm a massive Jack Bruce fan, his songs were the first I learnt on bass and his recorded improvisation is second to none (except maybe Jaco). I purchased one of 5 handsigned paintings and a T shirt but couldn't help leaving the gig feeling disappointed and a lil depressed, I haven't been that let down since I saw Whitesnake.

As rule I always assume the more experienced artists to put on a better show but I guess not...

Anyone else been to see him on this tour???
[/quote]

I saw him at the Stables last Sunday. The sound after the interval was much better, although his Hartke rig seemed to overpower everything else, including the PA.

Yes, he did do a longish bass solo and there was a long but very accomplished drum solo. Most of the audience must've been similar vintage to Jack, if not older, we (the missus and me) felt a bit like we were in an old folks home (and we're no spring chickens).

However, I thought he played with a lot of soul and the groove was immense on occasions. The brass was superb and really made the whole ensemble sound sharp. I particularly enjoyed Jack's piano playing and singing. I only hope that I'm still able to perform at even a fraction as well as Jack when I get to that age!

Overall, it was a great night and I'm glad I finally got to see him live (this being the first time).

Wil

I saw Segovia play when he was 96! He had to have his guitar carried on by someone else. He had to stop a few times as his memory was letting him down. Did I care? No I didn't. I would have paid the ticket money just to see him walk on stage and take a bow. He died not long afterwards. I think we should cut the older guys a bit of slack. They've paid their dues and given great pleasure to thousands of people. Good on them I say.

I saw Stephane Grappelli play when we was in his 80s. He had to be helped onstage to his seat, but once sat down with his violin in his hands it was like listening to an 18 year old in the prime of his life - so much fun and invention and life in his playing. Wonderful.

I've just got in from seeing him in Buxton at the Opera House (I also bought one of the 5 signed canvas's).

Personally I was very impressed, I've only seen Jack live last year at the Colne Blues Festival where I stood at his feet the whole performance.

The sound after about 2 songs was spot on and I loved the way he started the show, with him on keys and him slowly shifting to bass as the band came on stage.

I had a great night and really enjoyed it and would say he was probably better than he was at Colne, but it wasn't a flawless performance, I think I heard the intonation off a bit here and there (No way on earth I could do better though) but his vocals were AMAZING and his piano/keys playing was also superb.

One thing I will say is I managed to catch him before he left Colne last year and he refused to shake my hand as he said he had terrible hand cramps and he just about managed to sign a book for me. Knowing this, the set was structured in a way that I could see this trying to be avoided, couple of songs on bass, couple of songs on keys, couple of fast songs, couple of slow songs, couple of fast songs with other bass player doing the heavy lifting and then big finale of Sunshine with a gap then the encore of Politician.

I would agree he's past his prime (his prime being sometime in the late 60's early 70's) but hes better than a lot of the early 90's stuff I've been seeing on youtube. End of the day the guy's 68 and he can still play circles round most people and while I love his playing, being a bassist is only about 25% of JB with a huge chunk going to his voice which HOLY HELL is just STUNNING.

I'd say if you can go check him out, as he really is a legend.

I remember seeing a recorded Cream concert at the pictures in the 70's. I remember it being good and Ginger Baker being awesome. He seemed to have a ciggy hanging from his lip the whole time-not sure what he was smoking though. I wonder if the film is still around?

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1332716431' post='1592159']
I remember seeing a recorded Cream concert at the pictures in the 70's. I remember it being good and Ginger Baker being awesome. He seemed to have a ciggy hanging from his lip the whole time-not sure what he was smoking though. I wonder if the film is still around?
[/quote]

'Cream Farewell' probably? I saw it at the pics with my Mum. She was cooler than the average Mum and loved Ginger Baker! B)

I saw him about 10 years ago as part of a package deal line-up that also included Glenn Hughes and Jack was clearly past his best even then. Poor health and age has taken its toll sadly and I think people will have to take it into consideration to avoid disappointment. Still a legend though. Still can't play the live version of Crossroads quite like he did...

• 3 months later...

[quote name='OliverBlackman' timestamp='1332614217' post='1590780'] apparently he's pretty nearly deaf [/quote]

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1332682170' post='1591522'] I saw him at the Stables last Sunday. The sound after the interval was much better, although his Hartke rig seemed to overpower everything else, including the PA.[/quote]

[quote name='Schnozzalee' timestamp='1332614854' post='1590796'] Perfect setup for me to knock Hartke Amplification but I shant lol [/quote]

Hi Guys,
Noticed these so I am replying en mass (more efficient and less work) :)

As far as Jacks hearing is concerned I think you will find that it is known as selective hearing. According to my sisters it is a man thing! :( His hearing is okay but like all of us by the time we are in our 'autumn' years we will have probably lost the top end of the register.

I was at the Stables gig and in their defence the monitor tech supplied that was due to be doing the gig turned out to be a bad fit for the band.(Diplomatic comment) :( Once Jacks tech got his hands on the mix it got better but I think the continual back stage issues didn't help the FOH guy either. The mix for the DVD was great and extremely well balanced as you would expect.

As far as and opportunity to knock Hartke amplification. As you know Schnozzalee only a bad workman would blame his tools so I presume your not implying that a bad gig could even be due to the rig! :D . Seriously I think that all the gear on offer these days really does allow everybody to pick exactly what is best for each other and I don't know any brand that is all things to all men. Vive la difference! (said in my best allo allo French accent)

Hope you all have a good day.