Why become a member? ×

is your rig a keeper?

bubinga5

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1331846002' post='1579932']
I might qualify for a record! I've had my Boogie Bass 400 and Diesel 2x15 for 23 years and wouldn't dream of using anything else. As soon as I heard it I knew I needn't ever buy anything else. I notice Sting and Macca caught up with me after a few years!

I started out with 2 cabs but just never needed the pair. I use a 2x18 for outdoor shows as you lose some bass outside and the 18's are just the job.
[/quote]

23 years? Record? Not even close, had my Acoustic rig since 1980 and its still the best sounding amp/bass combination there is (imo)

I've been using my Trace Elliot AH100 head as my main gigging amp for well over 20 years, can't really see myself changing it any time soon. I've always used it with a 1x15 speaker, first a Carlsbro, then a Trace and currently an Eden.

My svt classic head is a keeper, there's a reason those amps haven't changed much since they built the first ones I guess. Obligatory gym membership not withstanding...

The 410 hlf might get swapped for a 610 at some point though. But to give the 410 it's dues it sounds way louder than the 810e I uses to have!

[quote name='spike' timestamp='1331849633' post='1580035']
I've been using my Trace Elliot AH100 head as my main gigging amp for well over 20 years, can't really see myself changing it any time soon. I've always used it with a 1x15 speaker, first a Carlsbro, then a Trace and currently an Eden.
[/quote]

Always loved trace Elliot stuff too, had to borrow a trace combo one time. Loads of bite from a seemingly small amp. Are they still in business?

[quote name='jwood662' timestamp='1331850115' post='1580051']
Always loved trace Elliot stuff too, had to borrow a trace combo one time. Loads of bite from a seemingly small amp. Are they still in business?
[/quote]

There is still a Trace Elliot brand. They were owned by Gibson for a while and I think Peavey own them now. I don't think they are made in the UK any more.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1331848072' post='1579987']
Ditto! ;)

I'm using the 550 and a pair of DB112s I can't imagine anything better and it took me several years of trialling Neo driver loaded cabs and class D heads to arrive at the conclusion that they just didn't do it for me despite my wanting to shed as much weight as possible from my rig... I don't need to compromise with the TF/Aggies! :D
[/quote]

Yep TOTALLY agree.

Even the vagarities of rooms doesn't throw these babies off the scent. I love the surprise that different room dynamics throw up..but it is all on the plus side.from a tone POV.

Loving my GK Fusion head and 4x10 (the 1x15 only gets brought out for REALLY big gigs)
It just emphasises everything I love about the sound of my Status. Monstrously powerful but full of detail as well.
Weight won't be a problem until much later in life (assuming I keep up with my training) so this'uns a keeper

I've had a Mesa Boogie mpulse amp for the past 10 years or so, which is certainly the best amp I've ever played thru and possibly the best that I've heard! An old all valve Ampeg Classic that a mate of mine used to own comes pretty close but I would probably slightly favour the Boogie

For many years I used various old SWR cabs, which were great. These days I've got a Berg HS10, which is excellent

I've also got a little Mark Bass LM3, which I use for a lot of smaller pub gigs or when I can't be bothered lugging a rack around. It's a nice bit of kit but certainly not as good as the Boogie.....

My current rig of Gallien Krueger MB500 into a Schroeder 21012l is perfect for my punk covers band, but not as good for my originals band. It`s ok, but I really need a more old-school sound, and both the GK and the Schro are very modern sounding bits of kit.

But, both are very lightweight, and I can`t go back to carrying heavy gear about, so I`m going to have to play around at band practices with eq-ing, until I`m happy with the sound. And then write it all down, as it`s everything flat in the covers band.

My little terror bass head is a keeper for sure .. can see me getting a midget cab in the future for an ultimate tiny amp set up .. but my customised laney 1x15 is really light, looks and sounds great. If it ever broke I'd buy another tb head in an instant .. seriously the best sounding amp I've ever played through. So much volume and so much valvey tone at all volumes.

Been happily married to my Laney G150 and 1x15 for going on two years now, I think. It's my first proper amp, and I got it for £200. The thing weighs a f***ing ton, but as far as the sound goes, I love it. Worth £200? Any day. Coupled with the V, it's got a pretty aggressive, lively tone, great for what my band plays. Is it a keeper? It may one day be retired, but I don't think I'll ever sell it on.

I can't say I've tried a whole bunch of other stuff having only been playing for just over two and a half years now, but so far I know I'm certainly not a fan of modern Laneys (at least not the combos anyway, never tried anything bigger), and I find it hard very hard to get a tone I like out of the Ashdown 4x10 combos our practice place provides, and I've gotten a lot of time with them. The biggest things I'd like to try would be an Ampeg 8x10 and some Marshalls. Particularly the Lemmy signature stack. I won't need something that large for a loooong time (if ever, but here's hoping), but I'd love to have one regardless. They sound ridiculously angry. And then there's the speakers. 4x15 and a 4x12. Over the top rock and roll crap like this wins me over far too easily. Wouldn't change it for the world though.

My Mark Bass 121p combo (a LM2 amp in a 1x12 + tweeter cab) does all my upright gigs & smaller bass gtr ones too. All my basses sound good through it. Definately a keeper.

My bigger rig is an old Mark Bass 3x10 cab which sounds ok & is light enough for me to carry short distances. It's probably my weak link.
This is powered by an old G-K 700RB or a newly acquired G-B Streamliner 900. Both are keepers.

I can see cabs being next on the shopping list although I would like a Mark Bass F1 amp too.

PS - just spent the evening playing through an Ashdown ABM 4x10 combo which was awful. I just don't like em!

Edited by PTB

I might try another pre-amp in my rig one day, but the SVP is doing the business at the moment.

The power-amp and cab are a proper matching pair. Hard to find a nice, light power-amp that does 600W @ 8ohm. Hard to find a cab that really takes advantage of it.

Never fails to put a smile on my face.

Mine's currently a keeper, recently moved it to my apartment actually from my parents much to their relief :lol: I'm in two minds about it, I love it to bits, got a bit worried as the 2x10 wasn't sounding as poppy as per usual...turns out the lead had failed so I was running on 1x15 only :rolleyes:

Not really much has taken my fancy, although at LBGS I had a go with the new Hartke HyDrive gear (suggested by Dood) and I'm now solely tempted by an LH3500 and two 1x12s!

I've not looked at another amp since I acquired my GK MB500 around 2 years ago, and now I'm all Barefaced up I can say, hand on heart, that I've never heard myself so clearly and have had numerous comments from others. So in this crucial area GAS free :)

Don't mention basses though :gas:

[quote name='garethfriend' timestamp='1331846075' post='1579934']
Barefaced vintage - so long as I can manage the size and don't need smaller cabs it's definitely a keeper.
[/quote]

What are these "smaller cabs" of which you speak?? :o :D

My Vintage is definitely a keeper. Yes, it's big (but smaller than the two 410s it replaced) but it's easily transportable. The tone is right for me and the volume on tap is just incredible.

Ampwise? Well, I like the simplicity of the LH500. It's loud and clean, which is what I like. It could have more mid-boost available though. I know why, but I do miss a graphic EQ sometimes. There are amps that I haven't tried and one day I would like to try them. So, at the minute the Hartke does all I ask of it but I may try something else. If the "something else" is something I prefer I would happily move the Hartke on.

Another Orange Terror fan here. Recently considered trading for something 'cleaner' since I'm working on a pedalboard that has plenty of dirt onboard... but it just sounds SO good! If I need clean I can run a preamp into the effects return instead - this little monster isn't going anywhere!

Cab-wise I love the sound and weight of my tech soundsystems 4x12 cab, but it's a slightly awkward size (too wide to walk through a door using both handles)... But a recently acquired folding hand truck has taken care of that!