Why become a member? ×

My Custom Precision Has Landed!

discreet

[b]My Custom Precision Has Landed![/b]

There are various features that I like about Precision basses spanning the 50s, 60s and 70s. What if it were possible to bring them together in one bass? I like the 50s vibe, but I like the comfort of contours. I like the 50s-type pickguard shape and also the 60s-type 3-ply guards. A 51-type single coil pick-up is fine, but the 57-type split pick-up is more versatile... and a 70s-type 'F' stamped neck plate would bring to mind my beloved USA Fender 76 Precision...

So I approached our own Howard Satterley (The Bass Doc) with a very dodgy Photoshop mock-up of what I wanted... this was the brief:

Body: Alder in vintage white. 57-type contours and radiussing, with routing for 51-type control plate. 62-type 3-ply pickguard in mint/black/mint, cut to 51-type shape.

Neck: Allparts Fender-licensed one-piece maple neck with skunk stripe, truss rod adjustment at heel. 51-type headstock shape. Fender 'spaghetti' decal under clear coat. Vintage tint. 70s-type radius. Synthetic bone nut. Black dots.

Hardware: Fender strap buttons. Side-mounted jack socket in cat's-eye plate. 57-type bridge with threaded barrels. 51-type control plate with chrome dome knobs. 70s-type 'F'-stamped neck plate on black cushion. Kluson reverse vintage tuners. La Bella Deep Talkin' 760FL strings.

Electrics: Seymour Duncan Vintage SPB-1 split pickup. CTS solid shaft pots. Ceramic disc 0.05uF cap.

Am I a happy bunny? I played the bass at rehearsal last night. Now I know what 'plays like butter' means. The set-up is perfect, the action low and there is no fret buzz whatsoever from any string at any fret position. It sounds great, very warm and present...a bit like a Precision Bass, in fact. ;) So yes, I'm a very happy bunny indeed!

My Precision Bass GAS is finally over! Many thanks and heartfelt gratitude to Howard for his skill, endless patience and excellent communications. And thanks for all the bubble wrap, mate! :D

Edited for extra pics, as requested! :D

Edited by discreet

Wow that's pretty close to my perfect P bass (I'd have gone with a tort plate). Lovely colour too, wonder what it would look like with bridge & pickup covers mmmmm

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1330697828' post='1561800']
...wonder what it would look like with bridge & pickup covers mmmmm...
[/quote]

It would have to be a 51-type pup cover, but it wouldn't fit over the 57-type split pickup!
Also, I can't have a bridge cover as I'm a palm-muting fan! Nice thought, though... :)