Why become a member? ×

Best £45 you will ever spend.

neilb

[quote name='Raggy' timestamp='1332409342' post='1587769']
The jury is still out with mine, it sounds 'smaller' to me, does that mean out front it sounds bigger/better?
[/quote]

Depends on the stage. I had the same problem at last weekend's gig with the bass sounding a little thin on stage. However it was on a large "open" stage on one wall of an octagonal room. With the stage being hollow the alternative would have most likely been uncontrollable boom, so I was prepared to live with it. In 2 years of using my Gramma Pad this is the first time I've noticed any problem with it.

On certain floor types isolation will make a big difference to the sound of a bass cab (or any speaker!). The air within a hollow stage or floor can resonate, causing boom which will swamp other notes.
If anyone ever played at the Greyhound on Fulham Palace Road they'll know how bad it could be if not isolated.
Another cheap'n'cheerful way of doing it is to get a sheet of mdf, and glue half a squash ball into each corner...

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1332500219' post='1589112']
How sad is it that these days I can't even afford to spend £35 on stuff :(
I suppose it's for a good cause though, got confirmation for the wedding day this morning! September 4th 2014!

Truckstop
[/quote]

Put it on the wedding present list? ;)

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1330339776' post='1555780']
And another thing: the OP says the pad made a large difference when playing on a concrete floor. I have no doubt he believes it did, but perhaps someone could explain to me how the airborne vibrations from the bottom of a cabinet could cause several tons of hard, poured concrete to audibly resonate.
[/quote]

Barefaced Dubster, 4 ohms, Peavey Tour 700 700W @ 4 ohms, large school hall, and yes the concrete floor can be made to vibrate :) In another context, modern concrete floors floated on insulation board will vibrate, try jumping on one, you can feel the movement. Resonance ???, maybe in a spare 5 mins I will do the maths of Chladni plates with constrained boundaries, then again red wine is calling.

Its entirely measurable wjether or not it works, and where though.

Someone can download some free acoustic measuring software, a=do a couple of frequency sweeps, with and without and compare the results. Do it in a few known rooms/stages.

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1334617084' post='1618810']
Its entirely measurable wjether or not it works, and where though.

Someone can download some free acoustic measuring software, a=do a couple of frequency sweeps, with and without and compare the results. Do it in a few known rooms/stages.
[/quote]

:lol:

Has it not occured to anyone that if this [b]didn't [/b]work then Auralex wouldn't sell it?

They've got a 30 year pedigree in acoustic management and you've only got to look at their [url="http://www.auralex.com/famous/default.asp"]customer list [/url]to see they'd have a lot to lose if they tried selling snake oil... Gramma pads are peanuts when compared to their main business.

Well its not that it wont work, its by how much and in what conditions it works best.

There may well be situations where the amount it changes the output in the room and/or on stage are so negligable that carrying the extra kit isnt worth it.

There may well be situations where the difference is profound and really great.

There may well be situations where the difference is profound and not what is wanted.

It may be that it always works as intended and is the best thing ever.

No one on here knows which of these is the case, no one has doen any measurement to try and find out, and Auralex (not dissing the company at all here by the way) aren't saying anything other than its the best thing ever and you would be mad not to always be using it. Which is hardly surprising.

I'm positive it works to some degree some of the time, almost everyone seems to be of that opinion who has tried it for a while, but the questions still stand.

And as for endorsees proving something is worth having, I give you.... [url="http://www.essentialsound.com/wooten-musiccord-pro-power-cord/index.htm"]Mr VW and his amazing Power Lead[/url]

So lets not ever let ourselves get carried away wih the hard sell please!

(Having said which I own some auralex products so I'm not having a go at the company or its marketing specifically).

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1334601465' post='1618389']
Barefaced Dubster, 4 ohms, Peavey Tour 700 700W @ 4 ohms, large school hall, and yes the concrete floor can be made to vibrate :)
[/quote]
And how much of this energy is coming from the bottom of the cabinet, pray tell?

Edited by stevie

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1334653394' post='1619043']
Well its not that it wont work, its by how much and in what conditions it works best.

There may well be situations where the amount it changes the output in the room and/or on stage are so negligable that carrying the extra kit isnt worth it.

There may well be situations where the difference is profound and not what is wanted.

No one on here knows which of these is the case, no one has doen any measurement to try and find out, and Auralex (not dissing the company at all here by the way) aren't saying anything other than its the best thing ever and you would be mad not to always be using it. Which is hardly surprising.

I'm positive it works to some degree some of the time, almost everyone seems to be of that opinion who has tried it for a while, but the questions still stand.

And as for endorsees proving something is worth having, I give you.... [url="http://www.essentialsound.com/wooten-musiccord-pro-power-cord/index.htm"]Mr VW and his amazing Power Lead[/url]

(Having said which I own some auralex products so I'm not having a go at the company or its marketing specifically).
[/quote] $199 FOR A CABLE ...MUST BE GOOD!

.. and yet for so many years I tipped castored 4x12s on their side to enhance the coupling with the stage.

Is it more to do with prevention of rattling by providing an even contact surface (hence the perceived reduction of 'distortion')? The concrete example in particular is in mind. Bit like the spikes we use for our hifi speakers.

I'm all for losing boominess, my major sound problem. This hasn't been dependant on stage type though, in my experience.

Where does this leave putting your speaker on a stand (which I've found to be a help in this respect)?

Well snake oil or not I have noticed a differenxe, so much so on first use on a high boomy stage I thought the bass had disappeared having not properly cheked & reset the amp.

In addition had the sound guy at one venue say mine was one of the few rigs he hadn't had problems with excessive boom with.

Whatever, it is I tend to lob the pad under the rig at all venues nowadays

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1334653394' post='1619043']

[/quote]

And you did all that without mentioning compression!

Spot on mate, especially 'There may well be situations where the difference is profound and not what is wanted.' Te thirst for 'sonic perfection/control/purity' means it may simply not sound so good to the punters. Good, emotionally satisfying sound often sits at the interface of multiple acoustic imperfections after all :rolleyes: