Why become a member? ×

Best £45 you will ever spend.

neilb

Used it again last night in a village hall at our practice, on a wooden floor. Once again much improved. I've ordered one this morning, so dave.c can breath a sigh of relief :-)

Finally, there is a downside. The combination of this and the thumpinator means that I can now hear everything so clearly, it's painfully obvious how much fret buzz and rattle my bass is making. At first I thought it was the mid-range driver breaking up!

Out with the allen keys and screwdrivers for a bit of tweaking.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1335344361' post='1629444']
I don't understand why using a stand will reduce the amount of vibration transmitted to the floor. It seems to me that any stand capable of holding up a 2x12 or 4x10 is going to be very rigid and will transmit the same amount of vibration to the floor as the cab would. Anyone?
[/quote]
'very rigid', perhaps, but not as rigid as cab plywood, so some of the vibration transmitted to the foam will move the foam itself and in doing so will be absorbed before being passed on to the stage.

While I'm sure such foam pads can have an effect on the sound, I'd expect the actual effect to vary a lot depending on the weight of the cab/stack because this would affect the amount of compression of the foam and affect the way in which the foam absorbs the vibration, i.e. would change the 'frequency response' of the foam pad in terms of which frequencies are absorbed and by how much.

But I've never tried one so that's all just supposition.

• 2 months later...

£50 spare so decided to order one. Did try just with some foam underneath the cabs and found this to be a big improvement in places where the bass used to boom.

No idea if this is going to be a good buy, but having read all the reviews / comments thought it was time to give it a go.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1339744824' post='1693513']
While I'm sure such foam pads can have an effect on the sound, I'd expect the actual effect to vary a lot depending on the weight of the cab/stack because this would affect the amount of compression of the foam and affect the way in which the foam absorbs the vibration, i.e. would change the 'frequency response' of the foam pad in terms of which frequencies are absorbed and by how much.
[/quote]

Perhaps with prolonged vibration the foam molecules align and you g[quote name='jcater' timestamp='1345540515' post='1778521']
£50 spare so decided to order one. Did try just with some foam underneath the cabs and found this to be a big improvement in places where the bass used to boom.

No idea if this is going to be a good buy, but having read all the reviews / comments thought it was time to give it a go.
[/quote][quote name='jcater' timestamp='1345540515' post='1778521']

[/quote]

What did you find?

i've only read up to Dundee's "sexy street" (i've always preferred the Abroath Road though) so may have missed it, but would it make sense that if i were to get one of these, it would reduce the noise going through the floor to the flat below me? currently using a rolled up bit of carpet but i'm always wary of getting shouted at in broken English again!

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1346240479' post='1786824']
I have the Studiospares equivalent and would never be without it. It kind of focuses the sound to come straight out of the cab and totally cured stage boom I was experiencing in a couple of situations.
[/quote]

These are £25 and so less of a risk?

• 3 months later...