Why become a member? ×

Best £45 you will ever spend.

neilb

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1330255541' post='1554584']
So these things work on concrete floors when the speaker cab is on castors. What principle is involved here? Has anyone carried out any before/after measurements?
[/quote]
Yes, after measurements = your cab is approx 2.5" higher than it was before standing it on a Gramma :happy:

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1330255541' post='1554584']
So these things work on concrete floors when the speaker cab is on castors. What principle is involved here? Has anyone carried out any before/after measurements?
[/quote]

Well the principle involved is that vibration that would normally travel throught the cabinet and be transmitted through the surface that the cabinet is sat on is significantly reduced.
That's been a particular problem for bassists playing on hollow stages for many years.
As castors have less surface area to pass that vibration to the supporting surfaces, standing a cab with castors on a Gramma pad increases the isolation even more.

Playing on a concrete floor prevents that 'boom' but you have to tweak your tone controls to get a full bodied bottom end again.

What the Gramma pad does is to use soundproof foam (which is what Auralex have made for years) to essentially isolate the cabinet from the supporting surface and give a far more consistent 'tone'.

There probably have been measurements to equate this in scientific terms but I've not bothered with them - it just 'works' and I'm happy with it. :)

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1330287238' post='1555304']
My cab's on castors and standing on a small, hollow stage. I went for the alternative option of filling the cavity under the stage with old duvets etc... it worked for my drummer ;)
[/quote]

How many duvets did you manage to get him to swallow in the end, or did you use the sink plunger and rubber glove method? ;)

Edited by icastle

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1330274265' post='1554992']
It's snake oil for the easily influenced.
[/quote]

I'm an advertisers worst nightmare - I'll question anything and everything and then walk away from their product either because I don't believe the responses or because I'm bored with discussing it with them.

I was extremely sceptical until I tried one, but they really do make a noticeable difference - not one of those 'my bass pots are rolled on the naked thighs of young virgins on the night of a full moon' type things either. :)

I checked the manufacturer's demo, which is interesting. Without the pad, the guitar has noticeable, and not very pleasant, distortion. With the pad, the distortion has cleaned up and the guitar sounds cleaner. Hey ho. The pad reduces distortion as well? And why did the guitarist fiddle with his volume knob while they were adding the pad?

And another thing: the OP says the pad made a large difference when playing on a concrete floor. I have no doubt he believes it did, but perhaps someone could explain to me how the airborne vibrations from the bottom of a cabinet could cause several tons of hard, poured concrete to audibly resonate.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1330346908' post='1555914']
These look really interesting. I've measured my Markbass rig and it would be just a little bit bigger that the Gramma Pad; does anyone know if this would cause a problem?
[/quote]

The large version should have fitted ? If not buy 2

[quote name='Dave Tipping' timestamp='1330271909' post='1554952']

.. last I heard the going rate was £10 a h-job £15 a blowy and £20 the lot .. so possibly.
[/quote]

Can you give me an address or more details. !!!! LOL
(i can't get the smiley faces to attach to the thread - must be a work thingy )

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1330348430' post='1555939']
Can you give me an address or more details. !!!! LOL
(i can't get the smiley faces to attach to the thread - must be a work thingy )

Dave
[/quote]

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=56.466082,-2.957771&spn=0.001199,0.002411&t=h&z=19 ... they stand on the corner of Blackscroft and Peep O'Day lane .. pretty much every night. It's known locally as "sexy street".

[quote name='Dave Tipping' timestamp='1330349457' post='1555966']
[url="http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=56.466082,-2.957771&spn=0.001199,0.002411&t=h&z=19"]http://maps.google.c...002411&t=h&z=19[/url] ... they stand on the corner of Blackscroft and Peep O'Day lane .. pretty much every night. It's known locally as "sexy street".
[/quote]

sounds like a bargain :lol:
now where is Dundee :D

Dave