Why become a member? ×

Basschat Boredom

Pete Academy

For me, the word "boredom" is probably appropriate but I agree with Nige (silddx) that this is much more me than Basschat.

I've reached the point where I am not constantly learning something entirely new with every fresh topic, where I have some sort of experience of most of the regular posters (so I tend to know in advance which posts I'm likely to agree or disagree with), where I own the bass-playing equipment that actually meets my needs.

The result is that a lot of topics now strike me as "the same old same old" and I am much less eager to jump in and repeat posts I have made several times before on very similar topics in the past.

I still spend more time on Basschat than on all other websites combined, so I haven't exactly disappeared over the horizon yet, nor do I intend to. But it's pretty inevitable that newbies get more from an established forum than the old hands, and I'm some way from being a newbie.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1322136824' post='1446936']
Now now do you not remember the rule about thou monobrowed one??? And out of the F1 thread too.
[/quote]

Damn, I totally forgot, I mentioned the name of the one we are not allowed to mention. Oh bugger. By the way off to post something in the F1 thread. See you there.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1322135706' post='1446910']
For the record I can't remember who any of the people I routinely disagreed with were. There were a lot of them, but usually it was just one or two doing the arguing and the rest sporadically putting the boot in without contributing anything to the argument. I don't think they got any warnings. But like I said I honestly can't remember who any of them were - even the ones who actually had something to say. And for the record I didn't have a personal problem with any of those opinionated, argumentative people, but the mobs that would form around them I imagined were probably a set of utter pricks.
[/quote]

Am I still set on your 'ignore'? :)

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1322135076' post='1446896']
I've been misreading your posts all this time. I thought they were generally humanist, rational and eloquently called 'bullshit' on the 'hang-em, flog-em, bring-back-national-service-for-nonces' faction.
[/quote]

:) You haven't misread them at all mate. But thanks :)

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' timestamp='1322138255' post='1446980']
[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1322134681' post='1446885']
...because I'm an opinionated, judgemental, argumentative, self-righteous, vain, passionate knobend with a dim view of humanity and it's behaviour...[/quote]

But on the plus side............... no, it's gone.

:)
[/quote]
+1
:)

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1322082296' post='1446405']
It may be just me, but I don't think so. I used to always go to this forum to find some interesting stuff and good debate, albeit sometimes controversial. That's what attracts people, in my opinion. Just lately, I don't see the usual suspects (you know who you are) very often. I recently started a thread that was mildly controversial and was pulled up almost immediately on it.

Is it just me? Fair enough if it is, but it mainly seems like stuff for sale and little else.
[/quote]

Maybe we've all become staid and boring or are now victims of our limited capacity to think outside of the box.....................................................................................................................
...........................................................................................................................Bazinga.

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='jakesbass' timestamp='1322130797' post='1446787']
I think in most cases the fatigue is in the perception of the participant, the site offers (to my mind at least) the same as it ever did. Which is only good as far as I can see.
[/quote]

I agree - I visit BC pretty much every day for a 'check in' but feel less and less inclined to start debates or participate in them - I've been fortunate to meet and hang with some great players, not just bassists, this year and get a lot of musical input from them - I'm not into any kind of gear right now, I have what I need - and I've been busy with work and making/playing my own music too - and I have a family - so all in all life is very busy and very musical for me all the time - BC rarely comes top of my list of priorities but I am pleased to see it still thriving and full of useful and interesting stuff. Personally I've been getting a lot more of that away from the damn computer and in 'real life' (remember that folks?) so while it's fun to pop by, I've been feeling the same sense of board fatigue Pete describes... oh well - it's just natural I guess.

Yup. Felt the same for the past year. Generally can't be arsed to post anymore. Anyway, it's the same old crud that is being recycled and talked about again and again and again in the bass sections... (there seems to be a finite number of popular discussions) and as for off topic, well, I've learnt that anything interesting ends up in a lock... so can't be arsed there either. Forum has changed a lot over the years - for example, a lot of the older more entertaining members are no longer found anywhere. I guess that's the evolution of the forum.

And yeah, the new bloatware is annoying.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1322144935' post='1447167']
Yup. Felt the same for the past year. Generally can't be arsed to post anymore. Anyway, it's the same old crud that is being recycled and talked about again and again and again in the bass sections... (there seems to be a finite number of popular discussions) and as for off topic, well, I've learnt that anything interesting ends up in a lock... so can't be arsed there either. Forum has changed a lot over the years - for example, a lot of the older more entertaining members are no longer found anywhere. I guess that's the evolution of the forum.

And yeah, the new bloatware is annoying.
[/quote]

I don't care. I just love EBS's posts.

The bit to the left of them, anyway.

True there are only so-and-so-many discussions to have. It feels like after a while, you know all there is to know about bass guitars, effects, gigging... and have acquired all the gear you want. Just because a discussion like, say "5 vs. 4 strings" bores you and me, doesn't mean it doesn't have its merits for many of the younger generation... oh and yes, EBS hasn't changed that avatar for a long time.

I dropped my MacBook last week and it stopped working, so it's in the Apple Store being repaired. I've had about a week without being able to see Basschat at weekend or evenings. You know what I did instead? I dug out a Bass Builders book that I bought and barely looked at, Fingerboard Harmony by Gary Willis. I have been studying for about an hour a day, and I have made great progress, I can see basic major, minor and augmented arpeggios all over the fingerboard in any key already and have started making connections and recognising patterns after a few hours. It's given me a lot of pleasure and I feel very encouraged.

I'd also started to post a lot less and now I feel even less inclined to. I freely admit to missing the greatly entertaining fiery arguments on the BC of old. One of the first I saw was this one, I was hooked on BC from then on, and you know what, BigBeefChief was what made it so entertaining for me because he really was funny, and also had a great nose for bullshit. It was locked eventually of course [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/23404-students-squire-almost-as-good-as-my-mia-fender/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/23404-students-squire-almost-as-good-as-my-mia-fender/[/url]

It's funny how people think threads are locked 'as soon as they get interesting' or whatever it was... we hardly ever have to lock threads here. Try half these threads elsewhere and see how far you get!

You have to realise that you were new once, too. Just because you think you know everything about basses now and don't need to ask any questions, it doesn't mean the forum has changed, as some have pointed out. New members are posting all the time to ask questions and I'm happy to see lots of older members here to help them out.

There were threads like this when you guys were all new, probably.

I agree, Ped. And there are threads like this in every single forum I've ever been on.

Tthe forum I've been on longest, for 11 years, has had scores of threads similar to this one throughout the years, but is still there, and thriving, and using the same ancient software which everyone hates because it's old-fashioned - but clearly not crap enough to stop them all posting and debating like mad. (That last observation is aimed to those of us here who hate this new interface and sometimes feel they'll have to stop posting because of it.)

I think I've proved a minor point here. A fair few members have posted on this thread and there have been a lot of viewers, as I've noticed throughout the day. I wasn't sure where to post initially, so I chose 'General Bass Discussion', which allowed TNIT to post his views, which I actually quite enjoyed.

I think it's mostly about people being passionate about a subject. It puts bums on seats.

I miss the posts from Clarky and Silddx...and ive also become more involved in playing live (and I have upgraded my iPhone and havent got the new one to view websites, and sold the old one!). I can't look at Basschat much at work (maybe for 2-3 mins) and to be honest, more important things are happening I need to address.

I like to come on here and catch up, and Ive learnt a LOT over the past 2 years.

I've also been very disappointed with new basses/amps from manufacturers I normally trust 100%, and it has taken the 'excitement' of chasing a bass or new rig.

The economic situation seems to have driven prices up, and customer service down.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Wil' timestamp='1322148850' post='1447246']
I also miss the shitstorm threads. There is only so much bass related stuff you can discuss before it starts going in cicles, it's just a board with some strings on.
[/quote]
This pretty much said what I was going to - I think once a forum starts to fill with topics that an old lag has read many times in the past, they move on. Sometimes, this has a domino effect where when certain people stop posting, others follow suit - groups of people who become friends on the forum, for example. I've moved on from places where I wasn't really learning anything new, things got repetitive, or where familiar faces had stopped frequenting.

Regarding basses - I've been playing 20 years and know what I like and what I don't like, so I don't generally get into discussions over them as I don't feel my thoughts have much merit. That said, I will gladly offer an opinion if someone asks about an instrument/effect/amp etc. I have experience with.

Although, I prefer reading the bass/effects sections and reading others' thoughts on basses I haven't played/considered or learning about new models/lines etc., for me, the most interest in terms of taking part in threads has been in Off Topic, due to the array of different topics.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1322148085' post='1447234']
One of the first I saw was this one, I was hooked on BC from then on, and you know what, BigBeefChief was what made it so entertaining for me because he really was funny, and also had a great nose for bullshit. It was locked eventually of course [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/23404-students-squire-almost-as-good-as-my-mia-fender/"]http://basschat.co.u...-my-mia-fender/[/url]
[/quote]I'm sorry Nigel, I know you liked him, but the guy didn't know how to behave.

Re: the linked thread,
I don't see what's funny about his opening contribution to the thread,
[quote]What a load of sh*t.[/quote]
or this comment in the same post,
[quote]It worries me that someone with such a retarded attitude is allowed to teach music???? [/quote]
Was this in reply to a sexist, racist. homophobic etc post? No, it was in reply to a fairly innocuous post about... (surprise, surprise) bass guitars.

I didn't read the rest of the thread, but it's hardly surprising that it was locked.

I'm not sure his 'nose for bullshit' was any keener than the next person. I think he saw an opportunity for a good scrap, lobbed his hand-grenade and, IMO, relished the fallout.

My memory of him is of someone obsessed with Carol Vorderman's backdoor activities. :) We all like a laugh, but it did get tedious.

BC is just a little bit more grown up without him. :)