Why become a member? ×

Basschat Boredom

Pete Academy

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1322130516' post='1446782']
As I was writing my reply to this thread Clarky, you were one of the people in my head who I had noticed were posting a lot less :)
[/quote]

I think its a good thing that people prefer to spend time with their family rather than on a forum. Just sayin.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1322131083' post='1446793']
I don't see any of the 'controversial' threads any more because I'm banned from Off Topic, and honestly it's improved the forum for me massively. And it means I spend less of my time time arguing the toss about nothing with knobheads and more time playing bass.

Bi-winning. :)
[/quote]

If I could be banned from OT would probably improve my experience too. OK, off to find an OT thread and call someone a tosser :)

I don't post as much as I used to. I have always been mainly an off-topic user anyway but I do occasionally contribute in the other forums.

However in recent times and by that I probably mean the last year, I have found a higher chance of being shouted down, argued with and insulted in the other forums too. The last few times I have dared to actually have an opinion, based on my 25 years of playing the bass, it hasn't taken long for a few boorish posters to appear and tell me my opinions are wrong and I'm stupid and gullible for having those opinions.

So now I just don't bother.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1322131500' post='1446800']
If I could be banned from OT would probably improve my experience too. OK, off to find an OT thread and call someone a tosser :)
[/quote]

Lol, I would suggest we start our own and get us both banned but Johnson would have nobody to argue with in the F1 thread and I am sure the others would miss my Alonso ramblings if I got banned :)

I've always loved basschat. I am posting less now than I used to, but then I used to post on all sorts of topics just because I had too much free time and/or couldn't be bothered to get my work done. these days I try to get more work done and only post on topics i'm genuinely interested in. That doesn't mean the forum's getting worse, i've just changed the way i'm using it.

This kind of thread comes around once or twice a year, and that's proof enough for me that the forum's not changing.

the voting system - I hadn't noticed it to be honest, but I guess this is why there are less threads full of "+1" posts.

Thinking about it, in the last year or so, i have bought 4 basses, 1 neck, PuPs and some other hardware from users on this site. I have had absolutely no problems with any transaction. I have downloaded a ton of practice material from The Major (legend) and been helped with recording issues. I've found someone locally that can dep for me and also been encouraged to get a teacher. From that perspective its great! Amazing. What a resource!

As for other stuff i join in but don't take it too seriously.

Edit for spelling

Edited by BottomE

Just a thought - I don't know how relevant it is to most, but..

Since the upgrade I can follow a thread just by reading the torrent of reply notifications I get in my inbox. I don't really have to visit the site, which in turn means there's less chance to get involved in other threads, etc...

Edited by wateroftyne

I post a little less than I used to but keep an eye out for interesting threads that I want to follow.

Now being in a gigging band means that I am practicing a LOT more and generally working on technique with a goal in mind. I love BC and wont be leaving anytime soon but I only contribute where it feels necessary at the moment. Also don't forget it's coming up to "that time of year" and everyone's starting to realise they haven't figured out what to get the mrs yet.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1322132228' post='1446814']
Just a thought - I don't know how relevant it is to most, but..

Since the upgrade I can follow a thread just by reading the torrent of reply notifications I get in my inbox. I don't really have to visit the site, which in turn means there's less chance to get involved in other threads, etc...
[/quote]

I tend to rely on notifications too, the thought had already crossed my mind.

I don't see any of the 'controversial' threads any more because I'm banned from Off Topic.
[/quote]

I didn't know it was possible to be banned from one forum and still have access to the others... perhaps I should put a request in with the mods! You wanna make something of it? Eh? Eh? :) :)

I don't see any of the 'controversial' threads any more because I'm banned from Off Topic, and honestly it's improved the forum for me massively. And it means I spend less of my time time arguing the toss about nothing with knobheads and more time playing bass.

Bi-winning. :)
[/quote]

Banned from off-topic?

That's really piqued my curiosity. What did you do? Was I one of the knobheads you argued with?

I have to say that frustrations at the change in the site and the fact that all sorts of bells and whistles that I used to like had gone to be replaced by different bells and whistles I don't use (I have no iphone, for instance). I used to use the 'new posts' option a lot to keep on top of debates but the new version of that facility is not working on my work PC so I have to open more things to get to where I want to be. So am inclined to stick to Recording and Theory and Technique rather than taking the more general overview I used to take.

I also don't like the 'look' of the site anymore. The banner graphic at the top where the basschat logo looks like an apology rather than a headline. Smaller avatars is another thing but,. worst of all, I find that locating the actual posts amongst all the other labels and links is harder for some reason. I find this with Facebook as well and hardly use that as a result. The fact that the quote/multiquote/edits buttone etc are a list not a line of buttons takes up too much space etc. And I also find that, on my netbook, which I use fir viewing at home, the site has too little information per page before I have to scroll (which is harder as the screen/scroll button is smaller). All in all, a less user freindly experience. I still get a lot out of being here but certainly find I am much less inclinded to roam around the site.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1322132691' post='1446826']Banned from off-topic?

That's really piqued my curiosity. What did you do? Was I one of the knobheads you argued with?[/quote]

I don't think you were. I disagreed loudly with the collective opinion of too many other posters, so my card was marked. I got a few warnings saying that I'd been complained about but nobody would tell me what the complaints related to or who had made those complaints, then IIRC I eventually got banned for telling a christian that it was un-christian to say he would kill someone if they upset him enough.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1322133380' post='1446848']I also find that, on my netbook, which I use fir viewing at home, the site has too little information per page before I have to scroll[/quote]

One new feature could help you here: Hide any signatures that are too large.

[i]*hides Bilbo's signature*[/i]

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1322134238' post='1446872']
I don't think you were. I disagreed loudly with the collective opinion of too many other posters, so my card was marked. I got a few warnings saying that I'd been complained about but nobody would tell me what the complaints related to or who had made those complaints, then IIRC I eventually got banned for telling a christian that it was un-christian to say he would kill someone if they upset him enough.

One new feature could help you here: Hide any signatures that are too large.

[i]*hides Bilbo's signature*[/i]
[/quote]

haha, I think I was one of the knobheads you were agreeing with ;-)

Like Pete I am finding that when I have a look at Basschat, I find it of less interest than I used to. But I think this is because of me much more than the forum. Basschat has always been distraction therapy for me, I've leanrned an enormous amount about bass playing and equipment, enough for now, and any help I can offer is usually given by others before I get a chance. Also, so many questions have now been answered that a quick search is all that's necessary, so it's more of a wiki than a forum in the bass related areas.

Off Topic is my favourite place because I'm an opinionated, judgemental, argumentative, self-righteous, vain, passionate knobend with a dim view of humanity and it's behaviour. Off Topic is a place for me to stimulate and satisfy this base, needy side of my my personality. I think there's a good few of us on here that have similar attributes. However, after a while we get to know, respect and like each other, and arguments become tamer. I think new members notice there is a strong community and many possibly feel less able to come in shouting than some of us may have done during the forum's infancy, I imagine it could look quite intimidating in OT for some. I also think that long familiarity with the forum means it's not the social delight it felt like when you first join.

I looked at OT on the date I joined and it seemed so much fun back then, a revisit last week showed it was of the same, or of even lower, level of interest as it is now. It's me who's changed, much more than the forum has. It's a fantastic forum. I do think fiery topics get locked unnecessarily from time to time through overzealous moderation when they would have levelled out through self moderation, and although I personally find that extremely frustrating, it happens rarely.

Long live Basschat.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1322134681' post='1446885']
I'm an opinionated, judgemental, argumentative, self-righteous, vain, passionate knobend with a dim view of humanity and it's behaviour. Off Topic is a place for me to stimulate and satisfy this base, needy side of my my personality.
[/quote]

I've been misreading your posts all this time. I thought they were generally humanist, rational and eloquently called 'bullshit' on the 'hang-em, flog-em, bring-back-national-service-for-nonces' faction.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1322088764' post='1446508']
Well, at time of writing there's a net two users who would rather click on a down arrow than have a conversation with you.

Negative rep for expressing an opinion which is neither objectionable or anti-social. Way to go, whoever you are.
[/quote]

I think this is true..which is one reason what I wouldn't want it. but..how do you know there are two users doing that..???

As for the OP... it can be a struggle to get active in more than a few threads...and I am not sure you can say why that is.
Time of year, general apathy, head down at work..?? all sorts..

I still check in but it is easier to walk away and do something else now.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1322134681' post='1446885']
Like Pete I am finding that when I have a look at Basschat, I find it of less interest than I used to. But I think this is because of me much more than the forum. Basschat has always been distraction therapy for me, I've leanrned an enormous amount about bass playing and equipment, enough for now, and any help I can offer is usually given by others before I get a chance. Also, so many questions have now been answered that a quick search is all that's necessary, so it's more of a wiki than a forum in the bass related areas.

Off Topic is my favourite place because I'm an opinionated, judgemental, argumentative, self-righteous, vain, passionate knobend with a dim view of humanity and it's behaviour. Off Topic is a place for me to stimulate and satisfy this base, needy side of my my personality. I think there's a good few of us on here that have similar attributes. However, after a while we get to know, respect and like each other, and arguments become tamer. I think new members notice there is a strong community and many possibly feel less able to come in shouting than some of us may have done during the forum's infancy, I imagine it could look quite intimidating in OT for some. I also think that long familiarity with the forum means it's not the social delight it felt like when you first join.

I looked at OT on the date I joined and it seemed so much fun back then, a revisit last week showed it was of the same, or of even lower, level of interest as it is now. It's me who's changed, much more than the forum has. It's a fantastic forum. I do think fiery topics get locked unnecessarily from time to time through overzealous moderation when they would have levelled out through self moderation, and although I personally find that extremely frustrating, it happens rarely.

Long live Basschat.
[/quote]

Great post. Probably what I should have said in the first place.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1322134517' post='1446880']haha, I think I was one of the knobheads you were agreeing with ;-)[/quote]

For the record I can't remember who any of the people I routinely disagreed with were. There were a lot of them, but usually it was just one or two doing the arguing and the rest sporadically putting the boot in without contributing anything to the argument. I don't think they got any warnings. But like I said I honestly can't remember who any of them were - even the ones who actually had something to say. And for the record I didn't have a personal problem with any of those opinionated, argumentative people, but the mobs that would form around them I imagined were probably a set of utter pricks.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1322135238' post='1446898']
I think this is true..which is one reason what I wouldn't want it. but..how do you know there are two users doing that..???
[/quote]

At the time I wrote that there was a nasty red "-2" below the post. As I said before It's a "net" 2, there could have been 5 positives and 7 negatives at that time for all I know.

Now it's sitting at +4 and I'm of the opinion that people are just clicking the positive arrow in sympathy or trying to show that they disagree with the negatives. Is that post really worth a net +4? Sorry to the OP but it's the sort of doom prophecy thread that's been said countless times before which I would not normally have participated in, but I felt that the -2 when I saw it was deeply unwarranted and felt compelled to speak out against this nonsense. And yes, speak out instead of meaningless clicking of arrows.

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1322135706' post='1446910']
For the record I can't remember who any of the people I routinely disagreed with were. There were a lot of them, but usually it was just one or two doing the arguing and the rest sporadically putting the boot in without contributing anything to the argument. I don't think they got any warnings. But like I said I honestly can't remember who any of them were - even the ones who actually had something to say. And for the record I didn't have a personal problem with any of those opinionated, argumentative people, but the mobs that would form around them I imagined were probably a set of utter pricks.
[/quote]

Not quite the language I would use..but I kind of broadly agree if you get set up against the growing herd. Now, of course, you can give snidey little minus points without having to offer an opinion or argument.

Never been one for cliques..if you are friends with someone, you are friends, but when a herd becomes too strong and determined to forge a path or agenda..it is time to leave them to it.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1322135867' post='1446914']
At the time I wrote that there was a nasty red "-2" below the post. As I said before It's a "net" 2, there could have been 5 positives and 7 negatives at that time for all I know.

Now it's sitting at +4 and I'm of the opinion that people are just clicking the positive arrow in sympathy or trying to show that they disagree with the negatives. Is that post really worth a net +4? Sorry to the OP but it's the sort of doom prophecy thread that's been said countless times before which I would not normally have participated in, but I felt that the -2 when I saw it was deeply unwarranted and felt compelled to speak out against this nonsense. And yes, speak out instead of meaningless clicking of arrows.
[/quote]

Ok.. understand your point now.

I've said many times before..really disagree with anonymous ratings, myself.

I can honestly say..even with a few trucks with a few..err.. posters, I have never neg'd them.
I would negate their views in a post if I felt that strongly about it... not tick boxes.

The other thing to learn here is that some things aren't that important, so go and play golf or something, rather than sit here all day arguing about not much of a hill of beans..!!