Why become a member? ×

Basschat Boredom

Pete Academy

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1322314094' post='1449231']
I suppose the easiest solution is if you find it boring then don't come on here.
Forum participation is not mandatory as far as I am aware.
[/quote]
Neither is it mandatory to live in the UK if you don't like its government.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1322315784' post='1449285']
Neither is it mandatory to live in the UK if you don't like its government.
[/quote]

Ironically, things would have to get much worse politically before you could apply for asylum anywhere. It is indeed not easy to change one's nationality, if not impossible.

Neither is it mandatory to play bass if you don't like this forum.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1322307782' post='1449109']
I think the point people are trying to make is that posters with idiosyncratic habits like BBC give a forum character. And without those characters everything gets a bit bland.

Ultimately if you get rid of the people who don't share the collective view on everything to keep the majority happy then the forum becomes an occasionally-used question and answer platform, with no discussion to fill the gaps, because there's no discussion to be had if you've banned everyone who disagrees with you. Conflict keeps people coming back, and in all likelihood the loudest complainants are enjoying it the most.
[/quote]

"What a load of sh*t."

IME Those that "tell it like it is" invariably don't like to be told how it is.

On a forum, such as this, the target of the inflammatory post will respond (perfectly natural), giving a little of what he has just received (again, perfectly natural), the thread escalates, and then before you know it the thread has been hijacked as the perpetrator's forum etiquette (or lack of) [i]becomes the subject[/i] of the thread.
I'm sure there are BC members who would have liked to contribute to the discussion that Nigel linked, but would have been put off with that style of banter.

Far from livening up a debate, that kind of 'repartee' actually [b]closes[/b] debate.

[quote name='janmaat' timestamp='1322317426' post='1449316']
Ironically, things would have to get much worse politically before you could apply for asylum anywhere. It is indeed not easy to change one's nationality, if not impossible...[/quote]
It's not necessary to seek asylum, nor change nationality, in order to live elsewhere. (...not that I'm suggesting that one should; simply that it's not a prerequisite...)

It's been said before but worth repeating that nothing should be said on a forum that wouldn't be said in company with everyone in the same room.
In that respect the BBC character, in the linked thread, gave a very strong implication that the writer was "retarded".

I could well imagine that in a "same room scenario" something would have kicked off at that.

Edited by Big_Stu

I am on here a LOT less than I used to be but put it down to a change in me rather than a change in the site. I enjoy myself when I'm on here but it tends to be 10 mins every couple of days rather than spending half my evening every night on here. Off topic aside I guess there is only so much time you can spend re visiting "Fender vs Warwick", "Are Rotosound rubbish?" and the usual threads. Great fun first time around but once your opinion has been shared I guess people start to know where you stand. After all I guess only so much can be said about the bands we like and the gear we play. You wouldn't have the same debate with your friends over and over again. Let the new posters have fun with the topics I've debated :) So personally I'm off doing a bunch of other stuff but having a genuinely renewed interest when I do come on here.

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1322327392' post='1449495']
I am on here a LOT less than I used to be but put it down to a change in me rather than a change in the site. I enjoy myself when I'm on here but it tends to be 10 mins every couple of days rather than spending half my evening every night on here. Off topic aside I guess there is only so much time you can spend re visiting "Fender vs Warwick", "Are Rotosound rubbish?" and the usual threads. Great fun first time around but once your opinion has been shared I guess people start to know where you stand. After all I guess only so much can be said about the bands we like and the gear we play. You wouldn't have the same debate with your friends over and over again. Let the new posters have fun with the topics I've debated :) So personally I'm off doing a bunch of other stuff but having a genuinely renewed interest when I do come on here.
[/quote]

This sums it up nicely IMO.
As a resource I think the site is constantly improving. As a community it's bound to change over time. TBH I get a real feeling of constraint from a lot of the posts in the local.
Maybe people just dont want to ruffle feathers? FWIR there has been one major incident in the last couple of months, certainly a change in that regard.

my tuppence worth ?

i think internet forums go through life cycles - they reach a critical mass and then become a victim of having too many members.

a shared community only feels like a community below a certain size, after that people miss the more personal touch of knowing (of) most members and drift away.

i also think that 'off-topic' sub-forums do nothing to help a online community - they dilute the content and inevitably encourage cliquishness and pissing competitions.

and on a final doomy note - i remember when i first found on-line bass forums and was blown away by how you could talk to people about bass...there wasn't anything like it before the internet. now there's a generation of people who take them for granted and the quality of forums has gone downhill. a new eternal september if you like.

right...i'm off to smoke clove cigarettes and read camus.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1322082296' post='1446405']
It may be just me, but I don't think so. I used to always go to this forum to find some interesting stuff and good debate, albeit sometimes controversial. That's what attracts people, in my opinion. Just lately, I don't see the usual suspects (you know who you are) very often. I recently started a thread that was mildly controversial and was pulled up almost immediately on it.

Is it just me? Fair enough if it is, but it mainly seems like stuff for sale and little else.
[/quote]

be careful what you wish for

:)

I think we're all experiencing a bit of fatigue, to be honest.

Times are tough, and - whilst we used to come here to talk about bass and the odd bit of interest we'd dug up - other things are wending their way here through our fingers.

We just all need to understand what's going on, where some of the other points are coming from. Something I'm trying to learn; as not doing so just leaves you with the sensation of utter aggravation, and it's not worth the hassle.

Of course, is someone really is talking sh*te feel free to call them on it. They're your legs, and all that :)

I still can't believe Out7hined has a thing for cats. The utter deviant :)

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1322430879' post='1450877']
I would say the opposite. I reckon the off topic makes a forum. It's the one place where you can real get an idea of the other posters.

For instance without it we would know things like Sildxx has a thing for Warwicks, StingrayPete likes Stingrays . But with it we know Nigel has a dim view of humanity and hates sun readers :) :) Pete Drives a Morris Minor and iCastle has a thing for growing herbs :o Ou7shined has a thing for cats. :)

You get to see a more complete picture of the people you are conversing with.
[/quote]
And you Johnson,what`s your poison?
:o

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1322588720' post='1453235']
People who spell my name wrong and talking sh*te all day :)
[/quote]

Well you will spell Iain in the the strangest way :) I called mcnach mcnash for about a year even in loads of pm's and as my mothers maiden name is Johnson I struggle with this added t too :)

I still enjoy it here but I spend more time on the [b]Basenotes[/b] forum - no, not another forum about basses, but a forum about [i]fragrance[/i] (another passion of mine).

As for basschat, I was a bit alarmed to see a 'reputation' thing appear on my profile. I have no idea what that is about. Nor do I care.