Why become a member? ×

Basschat Boredom

Pete Academy

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1322182740' post='1447785']
...Maybe I'll post some 'drummer at the wrong gig' threads to get things going.
[/quote]
I'd be careful about the 'drummer' part; some of us here could be a bit touchy. Wouldn't want to set off any fireworks, now, would we..? :)

...and if it's reminiscence we're looking for, who remembers the Atari/Amiga wars, eh..? Now [i]there [/i]was debating at it's peak..!

Edited by Dad3353

Yes many people are having difficulty selling basses. more difficulty than they had before, if they are regular swappers, is just down to the fact that people have less spending money these days. Im sure if this were better economic times basses would be selling like cakes. Hot ones. When people hold on to their basses longer they have less questions to ask about them. Less queries refering to modifications, or repairs and therfore less to talk over in the bass guitar sections

This is surely partly the reason that Off Topic is patronized more. There are simply not as many new interesting topics in the bass section. I find myself posting all sorts of junk off topic when im bored. (im unemployed) So right now at 03.35AM the attic has been raided for a thousand or so books and I am going through them, finding whats worth keeping, whats worth money on Amazon and I am putting them up for sale there.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1322148085' post='1447234']
I dropped my MacBook last week and it stopped working, so it's in the Apple Store being repaired. I've had about a week without being able to see Basschat at weekend or evenings. You know what I did instead? I dug out a Bass Builders book that I bought and barely looked at, Fingerboard Harmony by Gary Willis. I have been studying for about an hour a day, and I have made great progress, I can see basic major, minor and augmented arpeggios all over the fingerboard in any key already and have started making connections and recognising patterns after a few hours. It's given me a lot of pleasure and I feel very encouraged.
[/quote]

Good post, and a lesson I intend to emulate. Since becoming unemployed i have sat here in the BC Forum for hours at a time reading nonsense and posting worse. I have also started to pick up my bass and [i]noodling[/i] and playing favourite riffs for a few hours instead of trying to learn and improve. Time to get the books back out i think.

Edited by daz

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1322148085' post='1447234'] I freely admit to missing the greatly entertaining fiery arguments on the BC of old. One of the first I saw was this one, I was hooked on BC from then on, and you know what, BigBeefChief was what made it so entertaining for me because he really was funny, and also had a great nose for bullshit. It was locked eventually of course [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/23404-students-squire-almost-as-good-as-my-mia-fender/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/23404-students-squire-almost-as-good-as-my-mia-fender/[/url] [/quote]

Basschat is still a source of otherwise unobtainable information for me.

For example, after reading through that old post Silddx flagged, I learnt that I was born in the same hospital as Clarky and BigBeefChief.

Useless information, true... :)

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1322181942' post='1447783']

BC is just a little bit more grown up without him. :)
[/quote]

Big Jobs to grown-ups! Phrrrrrptttttt! <--- a big bezoomy shoom of lip music

He called bullshit on me on more than one occasion (generally to put the boot into my wishy-washy liberalism). And he was often right. I think he was one of the most genuinely intelligent people here; he just chose to leave tact and diplomacy at the door. He enjoyed offending on an equal-opportunity basis and no-one made me LOL more, even when the joke was on me or I couldn't quite believe he'd dared stick his cock up that particular sared cow.

<hyperbole alert>

he was the closest thing we had to Frank Zappa.

I'm sorry Nigel, I know you liked him, but the guy didn't know how to behave.

Re: the linked thread,
I don't see what's funny about his opening contribution to the thread,

or this comment in the same post,

Was this in reply to a sexist, racist. homophobic etc post? No, it was in reply to a fairly innocuous post about... (surprise, surprise) bass guitars.

I didn't read the rest of the thread, but it's hardly surprising that it was locked.

I'm not sure his 'nose for bullshit' was any keener than the next person. I think he saw an opportunity for a good scrap, lobbed his hand-grenade and, IMO, relished the fallout.

My memory of him is of someone obsessed with Carol Vorderman's backdoor activities. :) We all like a laugh, but it did get tedious.

BC is just a little bit more grown up without him. :)
[/quote]

Yeah, a big part of me agrees with you, but I think that although most of us wish we had a lovely Utopian society where everyone is polite and respectful of each other, that's usually because of fear of physical danger or loss of wellbeing. However, life isn't like that and human nature being what it is, we need a bit of entertainment and a way of letting off steam, living vicariously, or sharpening our intellect and challenging our own perceptions and egos under pressure.

I can't remember seeing a film in which everyone is polite, we like to see or participate in conflict from a safe distance. This forum can be like that sometimes. And like it or not, we are all children under this mask of adulthood. Basschat seemed to be more playful a couple of years ago, I sort of miss that.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1322211604' post='1447877']
Basschat seemed to be more playful a couple of years ago, I sort of miss that.
[/quote]

I think that's more a reflection of what's going on in the real world than a reflection on BC itself. It creates a spiritual depression as well as an economic one.

I thought The Big Beef Chief was a disruptive knob for the most part if truth be told, I didn't find him amusing, more controversial for the attention seeking hell of it and I didn't care much for his presence at all. But that's just the colour and thread material of my stitch in the rich tapestry of life, isn't it? It happened to clash with his.

I am usually pretty disappointed with the people I find on the top of pedestals.

Edited by neepheid

Was this in reply to a sexist, racist. homophobic etc post? No, it was in reply to a fairly innocuous post about... (surprise, surprise) bass guitars.[/quote]

But he didn't personally attack the poster, he just said he thought he was talking a lot of sh*t. The poster then took the position that BBC was opposed to everything he had ever said - blowing it all out of proportion, essentially - and BBC repeatedly stated his position that he had one narrow but strongly held opinion that he was expressing and the guy shouldn't get so carried away.

BBC didn't really do anything wrong, he just expressed an opinion in his own way and got marked as a 'troublemaker' for it. He really wasn't, he was just a plain speaker.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1322216151' post='1447962']
But he didn't personally attack the poster, he just said he thought he was talking a lot of sh*t. The poster then took the position that BBC was opposed to everything he had ever said - blowing it all out of proportion, essentially - and BBC repeatedly stated his position that he had one narrow but strongly held opinion that he was expressing and the guy shouldn't get so carried away.

BBC didn't really do anything wrong, he just expressed an opinion in his own way and got marked as a 'troublemaker' for it. He really wasn't, he was just a plain speaker.
[/quote]

Happens a lot here.... oh well..!!

It is called differnce of opinions and some can either live with it or they can't. There might be a fine line between standing your ground and debating and knowing when to bail out...not as a sense of weaknest but just that it doesn't matter so very much and you have better things to do.

Today, I will do the latter..as it is a beautiful day and I am going to play golf...so I hope none of you lot try and pick holes in my posts to stop me... :) :)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1322216551' post='1447974']
Today, I will do the latter..as it is a beautiful day and I am going to play [b]golf[/b]...so I hope none of you lot try and pick [b]holes[/b] in my posts to stop me... :) :)
[/quote]

Was that some kind of obscure vague pun that you didn't think BC was sharp enough to see?

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1322214714' post='1447935']
I thought The Big Beef Chief was a disruptive knob for the most part if truth be told, I didn't find him amusing, more controversial for the attention seeking hell of it and I didn't care much for his presence at all. But that's just the colour and thread material of my stitch in the rich tapestry of life, isn't it? It happened to clash with his.

[b]I am usually pretty disappointed with the people I find on the top of pedestals.[/b]
[/quote]

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Disappointed with Nelson? Phil Lynott?

Or do you mean the self build pedestal?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1322221418' post='1448088']
Did someone say something about Morris Dancing? Where did that go? Did I imagine it?
[/quote]

Wasn't me.

[attachment=93835:aemo_squeezeyellow2.gif]

[attachment=93834:aemo_morris.gif] [attachment=93834:aemo_morris.gif]