Why become a member? ×

When was the last time you broke a string?

WalMan

Was at a gig last night for the band I often dep with and saw something I've not seen in a long while. The bass player broke a string, or more to the point I think the windings let go over the saddle about a third of the way into a song.

From the sound of it they weren't really old strings that should have been changed ages ago, so it was probably a string malfunction.

Now I do seem to recall having strings go in the past, but not for a looooooooong time, so as the title says... when was the last time you broke a string?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1320522351' post='1428020']
Never while playing. Have snapped one when changing strings at home by absent-mindedly turning tuner in wrong direction until string snapped! What a stupid git.
[/quote]

I dont think your alone there discreet lol. One did go about 20 years ago on me and Ive got my GDAE's muddled up on occasion lol

A

In what appears to be a common theme, I have never broken a string while playing. I broke a flatwound E string when I was fitting it because I used too long a scale and was trying to wrap the fat part around the tuner. It said "I'm not doing that" and promptly broke.

Weirdly, the last, and only time I've ever broken a string was when I was tuning up at home. I can't ever remember breaking a string while gigging and I must have played a few hundred gigs. I still keep a set with me just in case though.

Edited by gjones

it was a frosty morning in january 1995, i remember it well, 2 days after my birthday. i was playing on my new 5 string when the unthinkable happened.
The core of B string snapped at the bridge end and with much horror i watched as the windings uncoiled before my eyes.
unfortunate but not the end of the world i thought, untill i realised thet it was sunday morning and i had no spares!!!!
AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

at that moment i vowed never to break a string again (or be without spares at a weekend)
it took many years to overcome my torment, but we as bass players must be strong willed and vigilant in the face of adversity.