Why become a member? ×

*WOOT! UPDATE* Auditions - What Are Your Do's And Don'ts?

discreet

[b]Auditions - What Are Your Do's And Don'ts?[/b]

I have an audition next month (November). Though I've been playing for many years, somehow I've always managed to get work through people I already know, or friends of friends, etc.

This means that I haven't done a [i]single [/i]audition in 35 years of bass playing.

Apart from the bleeding obvious, i.e. don't turn up pissed and don't try to get off with one of the backing singers (yet), has anyone any useful information, do's and don'ts, stories about your audition experiences and what you would have done given a second chance, what to avoid, and so forth?

Thanks! I await your sage advice with bated trousers.

Edited by discreet

only ever had to do one audition, for a band who had never had a bass player anyway! can't really offer anything more than the obvious, don't be cocky, or try too hard to impress. play your way and enjoy it, if you're enjoying it then i imagine they will too :)

i wish you luck :)

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]I've only done 3 auditions in the last 10 years and I failed them all. The audition before that, which I passed, was over 25 years ago. I always get gigs from guys I play with or who have seen me play, so it looks like I’m not doing something right myself! [/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][font=Arial][color=#000000]Just be on time, know the numbers and relax.[/color][/font][/size]

Edited by chris_b

We auditioned a drummer last night and he did a great job, so this stuff is fresh in my mind.

What impressed us -

he turned up at the right place a few minutes before the stated time
friendly
had prepared the material we sent him
had everything he needed with him
told us in advance when he was going to do something a bit different than the recordings he'd been sent
didn't overplay when dropped in the deep end with stuff he had't been given to prepare.

Some examples of don'ts from a few weeks back -
Turned up and announced that he was the "best drummer in town and probably in the county"
Rusty kit with no cases
Hadn't prepared anything because he's too good to need practise
Slated the drums on the recordings
Put very busy fills in every couple of bars and didn't once come back in on the beat

In short, be friendly and polite, look professional, be prepared and if in doubt about what to play, keep it simple.

Do`s
If doing covers, ask the band if they do them correct to the recording
Before leaving ensure all gear is in working order
Checklist everything you`re going to need
Turn up early
Set up quickly
Ask for 5 mins with just the drummer playing, to get levels
Hold back and groove, unless the song has an intricate bassline that is essential
Smile

Don`ts
Be late
Widdle, and slap - unless required to as part of the song
Criticise the band, even if you don`t like them/the music

Mostly I agree with what's been said. A while back I went through an awful patch of doing stuff and just nothing was working for me. Play too much, play not enough. Didn't matter. Now, I clearly was dealing with idiots, but it's ironic that the bands who offered me anything weren't really what I was up for due to other personel problems or whatever.

I'd just say, know the stuff as it is and a bit more flexibly as well so you can play it "as you normally would" so that stylistic differences can get sorted right there. Or not.

Be on time and just have a chat. Generally works.

The best one I did about 7 months ago (after this I gave up on the idea of joining bands). I go along. The band are 40 minutes late. We play through their stuff and it's all fine as I've done my homework. SInger is a bit ropey though and I'm not sold on it. However, now we get to the fun. The guitarist says (and I quote) "Okay, that's fine, but I can tell you're holding back a bit. Let's just have a jam. See what your chops are like." I asked him if he was sure and how far he really wanted me to go (I've found some guitarists don't really like participation from the bass that much) . "As much as you've got" came the reply. Okay then. Off we go. I'm throwing in everything I can think of that works and it was brilliant fun as the drummer was really, really good.

Now for the hilarity. The next day, the guitarist emailed me to say I could have the slot but that he felt at points I had turned the band into "The Wolverinebass Experience Band." I had tears of laughter streaming down my face. In what universe is being compared to Hendrix in terms of proficiency on your instrument been considered an insult?!! Besides, the guy had insisted I "not hold back." I gave up with bands at this point. I hasten to add, I'm not that good. :)

You will be nervous, which is an odd feeling for a bloke in his 40/50s so don`t babble.
When I`m nervous I tend to over agree with someone and jump in to show them I understand, try to avoid that. :)
Take only what you need,if you take spares, leave them in the car.
Remember that [i]you[/i] are auditioning [i]them[/i] just as much as they are you, so let them do the babbling!
If you are prepared,in tune and competent then you have the advantage and shouldn`t need to over do it.
Less is definitely best IMO.
They`ll be happier taking on someone who needs a little time to fit in than someone who comes across as a know it all.
I had my first musical audition 3 months ago and I took too much gear, arrived a bit too early,expected them to know the tunes as well as me if not more,(they didn`t) and was suprised it only lasted 30 minutes.
I babbled in an attempt to express my enthusiasm and musical knowledge.
Luckily I got the gig and still have it despite that.
Good luck
:)

Assuming that you're a half decent player and have got the music nailed...
Smile, talk positively (ie, don't say, "He's crap", "That's crap" etc), nobody likes a bitcher and moaner.
IME A positive personality runs a very close second to ability, especially with a gigging, touring band.

Having recently succesfully auditioned for a band, i can only echo the good points already made:

- Learn the material in advance, especially crucial riffs
- turn up on time with all the gear you need
- If you have multiple basses/amps, bring the ones you're most comfortable with. You'll be nervous, and familiar kit helps with that.
- Set your volume and tone in a way that complements the sound of the band, while retaining most of your own sound.
- smile and enjoy yourself, otherwise it will show.

worked for me!

Good luck!

Forgot to mention, do advise the prospective new band of:

Previous experience
Whatever transport you have
Your work situation
Your family situation
If you do backing vocs
If you are a songwriter

All of these, providing they are what the band are after, can swing the gig your way.

And don`t forget to ask them what their intentions for the band are. If you can only do one gig a month, finding out they want someone who can gig 3 times a week is worth establishing straight-off.

Communicate. Don't just set up and play.

Ask them what they're looking for ... offer them alternative bass lines [i]("I can make that much busier, if you want") [/i]... suggest running through that song again [i]("but this time I'll play with a pick / use a distortion pedal / whatever").[/i]

Good luck.

Guest bassman7755

Knowing some of their material is the overwhelmingly the main thing - nothing is more annoying than someone turning up for an audition and having to jam along and/or stop to ask how something goes all the time. Make sure you got at least 5 or 6 songs really down and that means knowing what arrangement/version they play and what key they play it in.

Make sure you can setup your gear and tune in a couple of minutes, you may not be the only person auditioning and have to come in and setup after someone else so you might not get the luxury of being able to arrive ahead of time and spend ages setting up.

Dont point out where they are playing something wrong, drummers are often particularly touchy about being told they arnt quite playing the right beat :) .

Great points above. I'd also be careful about stepping outside what you have prepared unless you are confident you can pull it off. We've recently been auditioning singers and some have been quite happy to have a go at anything which has not always been to their advantage. While it shows enthusiasm and flexibility, if the results aren't good then it is hard not to remember.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1319022349' post='1408918']
Assuming that you're a half decent player and have got the music nailed...
Smile, talk positively (ie, don't say, "He's crap", "That's crap" etc), nobody likes a bitcher and moaner.
IME A positive personality runs a very close second to ability, especially with a gigging, touring band.
[/quote]

this....pretty much.

The trick is not to have to bother with them so all that needs to be decided is if the people chemistry is right.

To by-pass audition stages in an area, I would be doing a few open mics nights to meet people that worked the same sort of field.
This is sometimes the remit of a jobbing muso who fronts/puts bands together and the open night is a quiet night abnd he gets paid to run the evening.

But assuming that there is an audition to be done... the music part must work and you'll live or die on that front anyway....so the next best thing is how you are going to get on and how much you want to.

I am never a fan of a band of friends as my friends might not be the most suitable for that gig and you'll make more musical 'friends' anyway, but I do have to be able to deal with them with regards to the band back office functionality.... like how gigs they want, who books them, what regime they run, chilled or drilled or whatever.

One things that does help is if you nail the sound they expect.... gtrs are notorius at stepping on others toes in this regard and will have an opinion and so will the drummer...so if you like their sound then they have put a lot of time into it...so ask about they gear and approach. If you don't like their sound, you aren't going to get very far anyway.
I always ask drummers who they like...and then nick that bassists style if I want to impress them...Moon and Entwhistle are great for this as both are a mess anyway, IMO... :)
gtrs just want you to be there to make THEM sound good :)

Throw a few compliments around..sincere but not chummy

The point about knowing the material can go both ways..

as in you may have had to spend ages getting it together so I would jump in the deep end and say hit me with the unknown track.
Make a few notes or a basic chart....make a decent fist at getting it to feel right, making apoint to communicate to the players
about what you are all going for with the song, and then you know you can tidy it up later.
This means you are a quick study and have your stuff together as opposed to someone who has to spend ages working things out and will forever be that guy.

I've been auditioning bass players for the band I'm guitaring in - strange being on the other side and watching somebody else play bass. Here's a few things I've come across...

The biggest one is [b]learn the material[/b]!!! Turning up not having nailed tunes you've been sent a week or two back is not going to win anyone over.

Listen to the drummer and lock in as best you can. If you can't hear the drummer over the noisy guitarists, ask them to shut it for a few minutes so you can play with just the drums. I'm stunned how little attention has been paid to the drummer with some people we've tried out.

Be prepared to adapt your usual sound/tunings/whatever - shows you're easy to work with and looking at the bigger picture. We've got lots of songs with riffy bits in that are quite reliant on hammer-on/pull-offs to open strings. Had guys turn up with a five string and insist on playing it round the frets on the low B, seemingly just because it's there - even though the feel is just not happening and would work better on a drop-D'd 4 string.

Listen to the stuff they've sent you and try to pick out which bits can be open to interpretation, and which bits have important rhythmic/melodic interplay based around an existing bass part. It's great to show your ideas and your creativity, but also important to spot bits where the whole band locks in around a groove and support them.

If you're trying stuff you haven't heard before, get the basic feel and structure down before building on it with ideas/flourishes - people will be more impressed by you picking up a song quick and nailing all the changes tightly than with you playing incredible fills but not getting the structure/grooves.

Mostly, relax, be yourself, enjoy it. Good luck, hope it goes great!!

Great advice from everybody.
When i've been in a band auditioning a guitarists, for instance, the things that put me right of is when they tell me they haven't learnt any of the numbers that i emailed them 2 weeks ago because they haven't had much time. Its a bit of a gauge of their enthusiasm, me thinks!
And my pet hate is when they tell me about the time they headlined at the O2 in 2004, and how they jammed with Roger Daltry, and was in the chorus of Another Brick in The Wall. All very interesting and impressive at the right time, but nobody likes a big'ead!!

The auditioning band will possibly wonder if they are good enough for you, so relax and do what you do best. They may be in awe of you by the end of the night. Or they might be goddamn awful and make a humorous anecdote for your next audition.

There are plenty of good bands around, so take your time and have fun.

Good luck. Keep us informed.

Edited by DrDave

I was in similar position to yourself. 15yrs gap and never had an audition before. Same thing with gigs via friends etc.

I came across my current band via an advert for bassist to join ex-pro musicians doing classic rock.
The ex-pro thing made me nervous but turns out they were pretty similar level as myself. Just more experience in bands.

Learned the songs, turned up early and found out the guys were good musicians and had been looking for 18mths for the right combination of ability and personality. Several bassists later they got me.
An idiot with a bass. :)

Turns out i put more work into learning the songs than they had. No noticeable mistakes from me which was more than could be said for the others.
However they offered me the job there and then mainly because of my ability to play what was needed and when it was needed rather than overkill and trying to impress with unsuitable riffs. It also gave them a new lease of life and the next rehearsal was a stormer.

My advice :-
Learn the songs inside out if poss.
Be yourself and try to relax and most of all have fun and enjoy it.
Don't over criticise at first few rehearsal if at all.
Listen to what they say and how they react to your playing. Its always a good indication of whether you will be offered the job.
Keep it rock solid until you fully relax and get to know them and how they play both individually and as a group.
Again - tie in with the drummer.If you can nail it with the drummer you are onto a winner.

hope that helps
I'm enjoying playing more now at 51yrs than i did when i was in my 20's. More relaxed and confident of my own ability.

All the very best
Dave

Edited by dmccombe7