Why become a member? ×

Irritating terms that non-musos use...

Ian Savage

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1318456448' post='1402569']
I suppose using 'funky' as an adjective to describe any prominent bassline hacks me off.
[/quote]
+1. Unless it's this:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txab9pKEIxg&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txab9pKEIxg&feature=related[/url]

[quote name='Ian Savage' timestamp='1318446935' post='1402371']

Foot drum, though, is surely wrong in any context :)
[/quote]

Yeah, [i]'Foot Drum'[/i] is just plain ugly to even say out loud, I agree.

Edited by daz

When I was a kid I often heard adults say something similar to
[quote]an electric guitar is so easy to play that anyone can do it without lessons. Because its electric you just strum it and noises come out, and it all sounds great.[/quote]

I think someone must have seen Jimi Hendrix on the Lulu show and got this mastermind theory from there, maybe ? ?:)

My mate actually bought a Woolies special, on the back of this sage advice. After getting home and plugging it into his old Stereogram, via something like a, jack plug/Din 7 pin cable, he twanged away on it, as did I. To say we were disapointed not to be sounding like Slade might have been overstating the case. But we certainly learned a hard lesson that day. He more than me, as he had paid out his combined savings and birthday money, to the ammount of £20 !. Which as anyone who was 11 years old in 1974 will tell you. Was a [i]bloody fortune[/i].

(mind you he was always getting more money than me. and we were alkways going straight to Woolies to spend it. Over the year swe went up town on a Saturday to buy loads of Winfield specials. Items such as, a small reel to reel tape recorder, and an air pistol, which I had to go in and buy myself, dressed in my best platform shoes, swishers and borrowed Jacket, as you had to be 17. I was only 13 at the time, so the shop assistant must have been blind or from Texas ? :) .) (mind you It was a great and constant annoyance to me, and amusement to my school mates already on the bus, that from the age of around 12 that I could often only get on buses for (under 16) half fare if i was in school uniform, so I must have looked older than I was)

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1318467777' post='1402650']

Oh look a [size=5]kettle lead.[/size]

[size=3]Surprised that one isn't in here yet.[/size]
[/quote]

To be fair, you'd get some puzzled looks if you asked for a 3-core power lead terminated with a 13-Amp plug at one end and a female 6-amp IEC 1 plug at the other...
And the guy behind the bar would reach across and grab the greasy, white, coiled flex with a 10-Amp IEC 1 plug that supplies power to their... kettle. :)
I call them power leads, myself.

When I first got interested in this stuff (about 1971) and started reading about "lead guitars" in NME and MM, I soon came to the conclusion that to play heavy music, it made sense to have a guitar made out of lead.

A friend of mine who knew way more than I did fell about laughing, corrected my pronunciation for me, and then kindly explained that they were called "lead guitars" because they were electic, and therefore had to have a lead.

Simples.

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='Kelso' timestamp='1318470009' post='1402655']
When I first bought strap locks my girlfriend at the time kept calling them 'strap ons'! . . . Yeah, I have a new girlfriend now . . .
[/quote]

...meanwhile on some woman's forum (maybe a fashion or cookery one :) ) your ex is posting something like

[quote name=''Kelso's ex'] yeah' date=' the one who played the big guitar. Just straight up missionary all the time. I tried to drop some hints but he just wasn't interested in experimenting[/quote']

:)

Yeah, 'kettle lead' is a legitimate colloquialism and I think was borrowed from IT.

The single most irritating thing a non-music type can ever say to me is "give us a tune mate!" as I'm walking down the road with instrument firmly in gigbag and nary an amplifier in sight.

one from flight of the conchords that always cracks me up, calling the bass guitar the Dad guitar

[quote]
[b]Murray[/b]: You can't go on like that! Won't it sound weird with just the 'big guitar' that Jemaine plays?
[b] Jemaine[/b]: Bass. It's called a bass guitar.
[b] Murray[/b]: Well, I call it the 'Dad guitar' 'cause it's more like [i](deep voice)[/i] "Da da da da - I'm your Dad. Hey Murray, get into the shed and get the mower and do the lawns - de de de." You need Bret's 'Mum guitar' to add the beautiful tones [i](high voice)[/i] "Come on, darling, Murray's okay. Why you get home so late, Gordon?" [i](deep voice)[/i] "I was just havin' a few beers."

[/quote]

Gig

At first I used to get mildly irritated (pissed off) when non-musos used the word gig - because when I started it was a 100% muso word, meaning a freelance musical engagement. Musicians did gigs and concert goers went to concerts, not gigs. I don't care much about it anymore.

BTW, one theory about the word is that it came from the time when there were no 'bands' as we know the word, just orchestras, and musicians were recruited on a freelance basis. Many of them at the time were Jewish and on being offered a job would mutter 'God is Good'. GIG, see.

I'll go and lie down.

kinda related to Bassace's but people using the word Show,
as in are you doing a show this weekend?...no, but we do have a gig on, Paul Daniels does shows, we do gigs!

and to me calling it a concert sounds too pompous for a rock band

[quote name='Ian Savage' timestamp='1318444082' post='1402293']

My dad continually refers to guitar slides as 'sliders', which for some reason bugs the hell out of me.
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1318446130' post='1402351']
D'you mean bottlenecks? :)
I'll get me coat.
[/quote]
There's actually a difference between slides and bottlenecks. Bottlenecks are hollow - they were originally make from bottles, while slides are solid like this one:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/B0002Z3O5Q02LZZZZZZZ.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1318449353' post='1402440']
They may have been bottle-necks. But some are certainly made from the necks of bottles. Beer bottles are good. Tie a bit of string round the base of the neck. Set fire to it. Allow to cool. Knock gently and away it comes. It's an old hobo trick I learned when I was riding the rods in '31.
[/quote]

Can you sit down yet? :)