Why become a member? ×

Irritating terms that non-musos use...

Ian Savage

As for "kettle leads", I'd never heard IEC 60320 C13 leads referred to as such until kettles that used the similar C15 version were no longer available.

It always bugs me because I'd learnt by experience that the lead that you use for your amp will not plug into your kettle (even though it looks as if it should), when the fuse in my kettle blew and I thought it would be quicker to use the spare amp power lead I had lying around than taking the plug apart to change the fuse.

And there is a good reason why the two are not interchangeable, as the kettle draws more current and subjects the lead to higher temperatures then any amplifier would.

I've just realised I don't think I've ever actually [b]owned [/b]a kettle with a 'kettle lead' and certainly not since I've started using music gear. I think I went straight from the old fashioned ones you stuck on a gas ring with a little whistle on the end to tell you when it had boiled to the ones with a hard wired base that the jug kettle then sits on and connects with. I'm pretty bad for mixing and matching kettle leads from various bits of accumulated music gear but they are all similar fuse ratings so not a problem.

[quote name='Nyl' timestamp='1318497846' post='1402803']
kinda related to Bassace's but people using the word Show,
as in are you doing a show this weekend?...no, but we do have a gig on, Paul Daniels does shows, we do gigs!

and to me calling it a concert sounds too pompous for a rock band
[/quote]

A vertiable minefield!
Back in the 70s when we went to see a band we would always call it a concert. Can't remember when they all gradually became 'gigs'.

I used to perform in musicals and always called them 'shows'
Now I act in plays .. I still call them 'shows' just to annoy the other actors.
But if I'm perfomring with my comedy improvisation group, that's a gig.

[quote name='Grant' timestamp='1318455157' post='1402551']
"Did you start playing the bass because it's easier to learn than a guitar?"
"What's the difference between a guitar and a bass guitar then?"

Knobs.
[/quote]

I don't mean to be pedantic but surely it is generally the number and thicknes of strings and not the number of knobs?

Also please can I have the number of the girl who is unsure what a strap on is ;-)

Edited by Dropzone

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1318505582' post='1402933']
We've been asked to 'turn down an octave or two' in the past, and have used it as an in-band joke ever since
[/quote]
That must make the strings really flappy :) The 'show' thing is still pretty standard in the US and interchangeable with 'gig'. When have you ever heard anyone saying 'OK guys it's gig-time'?

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1318502068' post='1402869']
I used to perform in musicals and always called them 'shows'
Now I act in plays .. I still call them 'shows' just to annoy the other actors.
But if I'm perfomring with my comedy improvisation group, that's a gig.
[/quote]

I used to do a lot of music for theatre - if I recall correctly, the term "show" was much more commonly used than "play" (perhaps because a lot of the stuff I was involved with was quite fringe and arty, rather than traditional theatre).

I have a similar issue now I've started performing with the morris side - they don't seem to have a convenient noun for their performances. They refer to the activity of performing as "dancing out" (ie out in front of other people), but I baulk at "dance-outs", and so tend to just call them "gigs".

Surprised that we haven't much mention of base!

Why are your speakers so big?

As for kettle leads - then I would prefer to call them power leads. As I work in IT I'm very conscious of the correct terms, especially when having high-power draw devices that actually use the C15-C16 connections than the usual C13-C14 connections.

[quote name='Nyl' timestamp='1318511550' post='1403119']
girlfriend saying..but you have enough basses now
[/quote]

ahahaha :) i have had this from absolutely everyone I know who isn't a musician. luckily my girlfriend is one of the more understanding ones, and she takes an interest in my bass stuff :)

Kettle leads have been called kettle leads for donkeys. I sort of like calling them kettle leads even though I've always known they don't fit kettles. Though that's probably I why I like the term. If I'd have not known that and tried to power a kettle with one in an emergency, I'm damn the phrase and chastise it's use.

"Power lead" is just so non-descript and has nothing going with anyone having to drink cold cup-a-soup.

Guest bassman7755

"fuzz box" as a generic term for any effects pedal including a wah-wah.
"amp" as a generic term for any box with a speaker in it even if it has no means of actual amplification.
"its got a good beat" to describe any song they like irrespective of its other musical merits.
"out of key/ off key" to describe something that is out of tune rather than actual wrong notes.
"oh you play guitar - is that lead or rhythm ?"

Edited by bassman7755

A couple of favourites from my time working in a music shop:

People who pronounce "Les Paul" as "Lay Paul" like it's French.

The person who referred to a Gibson Flying V as a "Flying Five" as he thought the "V" was a Roman numeral, despite the body shape providing irrefutable evidence to the contrary.

(I have to say that there are far more words used by musicians that piss me off than mistakes made by non-musos. Things like "Mojo", "Vibe", "Groove" & "In the pocket" really make me cringe).

There was a hilarious sketch on the original Mary Whitehouse Experience Radio series which pointed out what a bunch of tossers Musos were, for the phrases they used. Sadly it is not online anywhere, but they had a point. :)
I would not know any of the technical phrases used in Brain Surgery, but I'd hope a brain surgeon's forum didn't have a thread about how annoying and stupid non-brain surgeons are for pronouncing Medullah Oblongata incorrectly (or spelling it wrong, as I undoubtedly have).
:)
(I expect they have though, over on Brainchat.co.uk)