Why become a member? ×

Irritating terms that non-musos use...

Ian Savage

[quote name='Killerfridge' timestamp='1318854673' post='1406862']

"I want to get a Musicman Stingray, not a cheap knockoff like that guy" (Points at my SRay with Status Graphite neck :) )

[/quote]

I've had similar comments about my Musicman Sterling...

'Ohh! - is that a StingRay?"
"No, it's a Sterling. It's made by Musicman though.
"Oh right, so it's a StingRay copy then?"
"No, it's made by the same people who make the StingRay, it's just a bit smaller and with a slightly different pickup"
"Couldn't you afford a StingRay?"
"Actually, the Sterling is more expensive than a StingRay"
".... yeah, but the StingRay's better isn't it?"

I also used to get annoyed with people saying 'electrified' guitar instead of 'electric', but now I just give them a withering look.

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1318867830' post='1407140']

I've had similar comments about my Musicman Sterling...

'Ohh! - is that a StingRay?"
"No, it's a Sterling. It's made by Musicman though.
"Oh right, so it's a StingRay copy then?"
"No, it's made by the same people who make the StingRay, it's just a bit smaller and with a slightly different pickup"
"Couldn't you afford a StingRay?"
"Actually, the Sterling is more expensive than a StingRay"
".... yeah, but the StingRay's better isn't it?"

I also used to get annoyed with people saying 'electrified' guitar instead of 'electric', but now I just give them a withering look.
[/quote]

Even more confusing now with the Sterling by Musicman range too. Never seen anywhere charge more for Sterlings than Stingrays though, you werent caught out by the old car dealers trick were you? "everyone wants x colour so it costs more" then 3 years later "trouble is I cant shift that colour so it worth less as a trade in" :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1318868752' post='1407172']

Even more confusing now with the Sterling by Musicman range too. Never seen anywhere charge more for Sterlings than Stingrays though, you werent caught out by the old car dealers trick were you? "everyone wants x colour so it costs more" then 3 years later "trouble is I cant shift that colour so it worth less as a trade in" :)
[/quote]

Hmm. Back when I bought my Sterling (2000), the prices ranged from the £1100-1200 mark wheras 'Rays were £900-1000. A quick recce on GAK brings up a MM Sterling for £1366 and a 2EQ 'Ray at £1199. 3EQ 'Rays are £1333. Admittedly, Classic Rays are a rather eye-watering £1899, but those weren't around 11 years ago.
Thomann has both the basic Sterling and StingRay at the same price (£1691....scary).

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1318942639' post='1408021']

Hmm. Back when I bought my Sterling (2000), the prices ranged from the £1100-1200 mark wheras 'Rays were £900-1000. A quick recce on GAK brings up a MM Sterling for £1366 and a 2EQ 'Ray at £1199. 3EQ 'Rays are £1333. Admittedly, Classic Rays are a rather eye-watering £1899, but those weren't around 11 years ago.
Thomann has both the basic Sterling and StingRay at the same price (£1691....scary).[/quote]

Blimey the Rays shot up after 2000 then, I bought mine new in 2002 and the list was about £1375 by then , I paid £1250 for mine.

Sorry gone a bit off topic....