Why become a member? ×

effects on bass

bassist_lewis

I'm talking mainly about covers and general pop music (where the money is).

I've been playign covers for the last 18 months and recently have started working on a monster set list with a new band. Determined to make use of my pricey pedal board I looked through it for songs that would need some kind of effect, I think i found 3 or maybe 4 from a list of over 120.

I can't get enough of my moogerfooger filter, or mixing it with my Aguilar octamizer and I'm gassing after the new ibanez tubescreamer and the EBS dphaser. but are they really necessary? (aside from satisfying my need to make the bass sound like a synth)

On the a lot of covers gigs I can comfortably get away with using no effects at all,whereas on others
I'm asked to use them...even then it's normally only a bit of overdrive,a bit of envelope filter and some
OC2 (and very occasionally a little chorus).I've cut down on my use of effects in these bands since
I've started taking my synth out more.

If you're talking about covers, then more often than not, the majority of your audience will be music fans but not perhaps as many musos as might go and watch an originals band. With that in mind, I would say that unless the bassline is a definitive part of the song, that non-musos remember, I'm thinking the likes of Hit me with your rhythm stick and billie jean here, then most people won't care if you've got the right effect or not, and most likely won't notice your use of an effect, unless you're using it out of place from the original, in which case it might actually detract from the sound.

That's my two pence worth, but then what do I know, I'm about to buy a GT6B :)

We only do a few covers, mostly originals & I use most of my pedals all the time. I'll often use the Moog LPF with some fuzz to keep just a bassy sound & then open it up a bit more when we want the song to come alive.
My singer/guitarist has just gotten an Adrenalinn, so hoping to sync it with the Bass Murf & make good use of some patterns.

[quote name='dc2009' timestamp='1316728198' post='1382183']
If you're talking about covers, then more often than not, the majority of your audience will be music fans but not perhaps as many musos as might go and watch an originals band. With that in mind, I would say that unless the bassline is a definitive part of the song, that non-musos remember, I'm thinking the likes of Hit me with your rhythm stick and billie jean here, then most people won't care if you've got the right effect or not, and most likely won't notice your use of an effect, unless you're using it out of place from the original, in which case it might actually detract from the sound.
[/quote]

I agree with this.

For my part, in general I think that bass effects sound sh*t. There's the odd use here or there that sounds cool but as a rule of thumb I think they should be avoided unless absolutely necessary.

Edited by uncle psychosis

I play in a covers function thingy band and i never have needed effects. I'd say in 25 years of gigging i have never needed to use any. Not to say that i didn't use them but in retrospect i didn't need to. Most punters in audiences at cover gigs (generalisation i know) aren't listening to the individuals in the band but the whole thing. A rough approximation or re-working of an original is probably what is expected not an exact copy of every single note. Recently i did some recording and the engineer said he was going to have a fiddle with the bass tracks and see what happens using some high quality effects. After a week he said he took them all off as the original sound was better :)

One thing i don't understand is spending a small fortune on a bass and then putting it through a chain of effects so that it sounds nothing like its meant to.

Effects on bass are definitely not needed. Whether they are wanted is another matter.
I usually take my GT-6B to a gig and have a few patches I've put together for certain types of number, depending on the band or type of music I'm doing.

With the Proggy stuff, I could probably go to town, though generally don't. With the covers band, I'll just use a little chorus, maybe some 'drive, according to the numbers.

At a recent gig where I had the chorus on pretty much throughout, a guy came up at the end and said how much he liked the bass sound. Mind you he said he played a bit of guitar, so what would he know!?! :)

I think it really depends on what type of music you're playing. If it's general rock/pop then you could probably gig away without any effects, but if you're playing DnB, Dubstep or Breakbeat then effects are a part of the sound.

Have a listen to Pantherairsoft's band Our Helical Mind (or go listen to some Miloopa or Nerve) & tell me it's not worth putting a good bass through an effects chain. If you start with a crappy bass sound as a base then all your effects are gonna sound crappy (canny polish a jobby).

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1316809000' post='1383337']
I think it really depends on what type of music you're playing. If it's general rock/pop then you could probably gig away without any effects, but if you're playing DnB, Dubstep or Breakbeat then effects are a part of the sound.

Have a listen to Pantherairsoft's band Our Helical Mind (or go listen to some Miloopa or Nerve) & tell me it's not worth putting a good bass through an effects chain. If you start with a crappy bass sound as a base then all your effects are gonna sound crappy (canny polish a jobby).
[/quote]
all of the above. :)

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1316800526' post='1383220']

One thing i don't understand is spending a small fortune on a bass and then putting it through a chain of effects so that it sounds nothing like its meant to.
[/quote]

I couldn't disagree more.

The sound you 'start' with makes a MASSIVE difference - depending on what you are trying to achieve of course. If you are a covers band and just want a generic fuzz sound for the average non-musican punter to hear in a pub, then 'maybe' your point above stands. If you make electronic music (I don't use a clean tone anywhere!) then having a an instrument with strong response to certain frequencies and a truely 'even tone' across all strings is an absolute vital part of it.

I've been doing what I do for a while, and can honestly say that until I had my Roscoes I suffered triggering issues with complex effects, Octave sounds that would only trigger at certain points of the fretboard where a mid-hump was present, fuzz that lacked in definition and synth tones with little top end bite. Having a £3000 bass that was built to exploit specific frequencies and carry the same tonal properties from the B string to the C (which many fretless basses do not - many have a low-mid 'hump' on the E and A strings) has changed what I can do as a musician.

[/quote]

Not part of the sound - all of the sound!

[/quote]

What do you mean - I hate effects on bass! Oh... wait a minute. :)

There's a time and place for everything. If it works then do it, if it doesn't then don't push it. It can be tempting to use nice effects just because they're there...

In our set of about 30-35 covers there is only 1 song that requires very subtle overdrive, and that's the chorus of [i]Somebody Told Me[/i] by The Killers, and it's very subtle at that but it does really lift that section. Any more wouldn't work, and any less it would feel a bit empty. It's about finding the balance.

I used to use a lot of effects for originals stuff but I hardly use any at the moment; thinking of selling up effects-wise to be honest!

[quote name='bassist_lewis' timestamp='1316726308' post='1382115']I'm talking mainly about covers and general pop music (where the money is).
[/quote]

Despite my lengthy reply above, the answer to this statement is probably not. But if you can fit them in I don't think it's going to hurt - just don't expect the average gig-go'er to notice them a great deal.

I`m using a GT6B in a 4 piece dance/pop covers band (no guitar,just keys kit bass vox) and use it a lot to provide bright chorusy patches for songs with slap bass in, then a few songs use an octaver to lift choruses and add depth to certain parts.
On a few songs like Gwen McCraes "All this love that I`m giving" it`s a squidgy tight bass synth sound that I can just about get clean if I use a foam mute under the strings,on Rihannas Umberella I use the synth to emulate that retro Juno 60 sound and adding chorus to that makes it move a little.
These are essentially keyboard parts, but me doing them frees up the keys player to add ear candy and pads etc.
I don`t use much OD or distortion though I`m working up a patch for Britneys Spears Toxic that needs it for the pre-bridge part.
I suppose I don`t need to do this, most punters might not miss any of it if it weren`t there, and if we had a guitarist perhaps he/she might do a lot of this but I think a lot of modern songs depend on the actual sound more than ever (sometimes more than the song itself) and if you don`t take the opportunity to use the familiarity that punters have with that sound then you`re missing a trick.
Plus, I like mucking about with stuff, it`s good fun. :)

my pedal board has grown over the last year as i wanted to add something extra!

my band does a few covers like parallel universe, and i like to kick in a fuzz or od in the chorus as it helps give it a kick and obviously then people notice the effect or at least the effect it had on the song. and then there are times when we decide to make a cover totally diferent like the kinks all day and all of the night where i have my swollen pickle on!

but on our own stuff ill always play it clean first then wonder what i can add to make it sound better! if nothing does then ill leave it clean.

andy

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1316856485' post='1383673']
Plus, I like mucking about with stuff, it`s good fun. :)
[/quote]

This is why I actually need my effects - for practice. It's boring otherwise.

When I'm with the band I don't use them at all! I'm hoping to start taking one of my drive pedals along and see how that goes.

I went through the same kind of process.

I kept adding to my pedal board for a middle 8 here and an intro there.
I ended up hunking another big box into rehearsal and at gigs.

I've now cut it down to what I need not what I want to have available (if I want to spice things up a bit).

I'm down to an EQ, Tuner, BF2 and DD3. the pedals fit on a tiny board I've made for purpose and can easily slot into my cable bag.

My Klystron head has a tube preamp for a bit of grit, a simple but effective sub harmonic as well as an EQ on off and simple compressor. I much prefer having it nice and compact. the head footswitch on the right and the effects on the left in a sort of V formation inline with the legs of the mic stand. Perfect for some of the pokey venues I end up playing.

Reducing my effects has also improved my playing - I can't blame my effects for sounding crap - its down to my fingers and understanding how EQ can enhance and support my playing (either with or without a pick)

It's horses for courses really. Some band I've played in didn't need them (mainly covers bands), so I didn't take them. All of my 'original' bands - ever - have benefitted from a healthy dose of [i]tasteful [/i]effects. Mainly octave, some sort of dirt, filter or synth pedal. I generally always take FX to a rehearsal, but don't feel that I absolutely must use them all of the time. That would make me some sort of guitarist, and I don't want that. :)

I've rarely used them, bar a bit of drive now and again. I used to go through love/hate phases with pedals for my bass, and just as I got into my last 'love' phase, I joined a band where they were totally inappropriate. I've never felt like I couldn't get by without them though - the drive pedals are just a nice touch here and there, and I think I've found one song with a sensible use for the CryBaby in about the last three years, and I've never [i]ever[/i] gigged it! It's mostly used for playing Rage Against The Machine songs in the practice room :)

Now that I'm playing guitar though, I'm already being sucked into severe pedal GAS, planning multiple loops and switches everywhere. Time to book some tap-dancing lessons!

I`m not too keen on effects on bass, but if you`re in a covers band and trying to do the songs as close to the original as possible, then it makes sense to have whatever effects have been used. For me, compression (and prefer it on-board the amp, as it`s then less to carry about) is probably the main one for me.

My pet hate is seeing bands do Motorheads Ace of Spades - the bass at the beginning is, in my opinion, a main part of the song - and I hear many bands playing it with a "so clean it shines" sort of sound. Aaaarrrggghh. It needs to have at least some gain going, otherwise it just sounds wrong!