Why become a member? ×

effects on bass

bassist_lewis

[quote name='ficelles' timestamp='1317335416' post='1389746']
There are two effects needed for bass guitar:

1. The "Precision" effect.

2. The "Jazz" effect.

Both are available from your local Fender stockist.

ficelles
[/quote]
zzzzz, snore, zzzz...etc..

deja vu, i think we 'ave met before ?

people who don't use effects should probably not bother with the 'effects' forum.

that's why i tend to avoid the 'double bass' forum.

TROLLololol..

Edited by phil.i.stein

I love using effects on bass but one must always be aware of what is tasteful and what is selfish indulgence. If a certain song requires a certain effect then go for it. But be wary of what your band needs and what others are doing. For example:

Is the guitarist using chorus? Don't use chorus when he does... it's won't be as pretty as you think it will be.

You're rocking a walking 12 bar? Then FFS don't even look at that envelope filter.

Etc...

I've noticed a lot of musicians tend to shoe-horn gear that isn't really needed into their live sets and often it works against them (I confess that I was one of these when I was younger.)

I do enjoy effects but I don't really see them as a necessity. They're more of a luxury in the context of cover work in my humble opinion.

I now only use a few effects which tend to enhance my base sound rather than overly colour it (I'm very much content with my dry tone and I could live without my pedalboard for the most part.) The only effect that really stands out on my board is fuzz and I only use that on one number in my current band's set anywho.

Believe it or not, I use my envelope filter all the time. It's even on for those 12 bar walking blues lines!
I hardly use the thing as an auto wah though. I have the exp pedal into the cut off so I can have just a bassy sound during verses etc & open it up during choruses or to turn that ballad that everyone's falling asleep to into a dubstep stomper! :)

[quote name='phil.i.stein' timestamp='1317336122' post='1389754']
zzzzz, snore, zzzz...etc..

deja vu, i think we 'ave met before ?

people who don't use effects should probably not bother with the 'effects' forum.

that's why i tend to avoid the 'double bass' forum.

TROLLololol..
[/quote]

Sad response. I actually use effects (DLS, Fulltone, Akai plus a few I've knocked up myself) as and when it seems appropriate, but was making a joke. I guess it went right over your trolling little head!

ficelles

Edited by ficelles

[quote name='ficelles' timestamp='1317502815' post='1391420']

Sad response. I actually use effects (DLS, Fulltone, Akai plus a few I've knocked up myself) as and when it seems appropriate, but was making a joke. I guess it went right over your trolling little head!

ficelles
[/quote]
kind of difficult to see that you were joking ? without a smiley or summat..

i assumed you were one of the anti-effects brigade, and thought you were trolling !

.. misunderstandings all round. :)

just got hold of a fulltone OCD, great pedal, what Akai is it btw ?

Edited by phil.i.stein

[quote name='phil.i.stein' timestamp='1317555521' post='1391697']
just got hold of a fulltone OCD, great pedal, what Akai is it btw ?
[/quote]

It's just a Headrush... great for laying down a bass line, adding a harmony or two to the loop, then playing a bass solo over the top :) Or even for some nice Floyd-ey type delays, and if you have access to a desk/pa with enough free channels panning the 4-head outputs around the venue can create a huge sound.

ficelles

Edited by ficelles