Why become a member? ×

If you could start again.. what bass..

bubinga5

I was just thinking about my past history in the experience of learning about the different basses ive had over the years... there are a few i would like to try again to see if they feel as good as i remember.. the Sei had a big impression on me.. as did the SR5.. as did the Ostinato and Fender CS... these basses were a great learning curve.. if you could go back again, with buying basses in mind.. would you make the same choices...

For me, i would have the Sei again, The Fender was too heavy, but it was killer.. I just adored the Yamaha.. (i got another one because they are so killer).. the neck on the AV 75 RI was the best i ever played... you can keep all that laquer though..

wouldnt have the 5 string Fender Jazz again... or the Warwick DB... one was floppy, the other was too small..

with your foresight, what bass would you choose..

PS.. if anyone knows who has the Ostinato Jazz bass..please let me know..

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1346683' date='Aug 20 2011, 08:29 PM']No Regrets but I would of just bought an EBMM earlier :)[/quote]

Same sortof thing, but with a trusty Precision. Quite why I held off from buying one for so long, when all my favourite bassists played them, and it was the sound I wanted - well I`ll never know. I`d take a guess at stupidity though.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1346722' date='Aug 20 2011, 09:27 PM']Same sortof thing, but with a trusty Precision. Quite why I held off from buying one for so long, when all my favourite bassists played them, and it was the sound I wanted - well I`ll never know. I`d take a guess at stupidity though.[/quote]

^^ Both of these! The Precision and Stingray V I bought this year have both been revelations and it's a shame I didn't get one of each years ago... I think a P shoulda been my first bass and a Stingray should've been my first 5.

No regrets tho... it's all been good along the way.

It may be drifting off topic but I do wish I could start again with a lightweight amp like my current Markbass - it would've saved me some bad backs throughout the years - it was a Peavey 4x10 that buggered mine up first.

I think what i would have done would have been to demand a better deal for my first 5 string and sell my peavey millenium BXP 5 for a bit more money, I wouldn't have sold my SWR for next to nothing and I would also have had a look at thomann prices before i bought that eden WTX 500 for £400 last year. The worst thing I did though was in 2009 when i ploughed all my money into a project bass when i could have bought a 5 string stingray in natural/black pg with the amount of money i wasted.

Oh yeah, and not bass related, but i would never have let this go:

:)

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1346673' date='Aug 20 2011, 08:19 PM']I was just thinking about my past history in the experience of learning about the different basses ive had over the years... there are a few i would like to try again to see if they feel as good as i remember.. the Sei had a big impression on me.. as did the SR5.. as did the Ostinato and Fender CS... these basses were a great learning curve.. if you could go back again, with buying basses in mind.. would you make the same choices...

For me, i would have the Sei again, The Fender was too heavy, but it was killer.. I just adored the Yamaha.. (i got another one because they are so killer).. the neck on the AV 75 RI was the best i ever played... you can keep all that laquer though..

wouldnt have the 5 string Fender Jazz again... or the Warwick DB... one was floppy, the other was too small..

with your foresight, what bass would you choose..

PS.. if anyone knows who has the Ostinato Jazz bass..please let me know..[/quote]

Your Sei, and it would have saved me thousands, believe me........

But then, i am lucky enough to have it :)

My first "not-sure-if-I'm-going-to-be-any-good-at-this" bass was a Squire P-bass. This morphed into a used Spector Legend 4 after a few months. I still have and use the Spector. I'm actually not convinced I do anything much different although I have "been through" three other basses until I acquired my OW Aspiration Contemp. J4 which appears to have cured me of GAS.

I would probably not wait quite so long before buying a fretless bass though :)

I'd probably have bought a Jazz / Jazz derivative first off and then never bothered buying any more basses. When I started playing I had a good job with lots of overtime and lived with my parents. I used to think that Fender / traditional basses were for old men. This was something of an error on my part.

I'd probably have bought an all valve Ampeg rig too, before the build quality nose-dived.

My first band basses were a '68 Precision and a 60's EB3,traded because i wanted a Fender with a Jazz bridge pickup.I didnt have a pickup put in the Precision because i was in vintage mode and that at the time seemed wrong to me.Now i wish i'd just done it.Funnily enough i got Howard to re-create my '68 but didnt have the Jazz pickup fitted,but wish that i had.

What a good question! I've been playing bass for 25 years and i've only had 4 basses in that time! My first was a Marlin which was from a catalogue....it was ok and it started my love for bass.I brought an aria pro next which had a great sound but in a moment of madness i sold it.Being young i too thought fenders were for 'old' men so i got a hohner B bass which i still have...this bass has been excellent,done over 1000 gigs and many hours of rehearsing,still sounds good and it has the De-tuner on it which came in very handy.My main bass now is a 1997 Warwick thumb bass which i love.Its a bit heavy but it sounds awesome! I would like to buy one more bass as i'm entering the twilight of my playing but i wouldnt have a clue what to get...sooo many to choose from!
I did have a go on a chavel jackson bass when i was young and it played like a dream so i would try one of those again if i could turn back time.

If I'd known I was going to stick with it, then from day one a white US standard Precision with a black guard and maple board. And, just for completeness, a Peavey Firebass head and a 2x15 with Black Widows. All were available at the time, and would have saved me so much cash in the long run, and probably kept me happy until MarkBass was invented.

[quote name='leschirons' post='1346951' date='Aug 21 2011, 10:08 AM']My third bass was a Vigier Passion. Incredible, and only sold it because it looked a bit too 80's pop. In hindsight, I should have stayed with it.[/quote]

My third bass was a Vigier Passion 5 series III. Oh, hold on, it still is... Mine's not too 80's pop! It's all black... :)
I don't think I'd change much about my bass history.

I kind of regret trading in the customised passive single pickup Wal Pro 1 that I had back in 85. But I got a Warwick Streamer custom stage 1 that went on to be my only bass for the next 20 years, so maybe it wasn't a bad decision, but would like to still have that Wal now or even know where it is as I beleive there weren't that many made.

Funny I have gone full circle with my Basses and ended up using Fenders again, as I started out with lol.

Started with Squier P-bass, went to Ibanez next because I was told by other 'musicians' I respected to avoid Fender basses as they 'were crap'. Utter bollocks to them and I now know better. The jazz pickup config is the sound I hear in my head so was glad to come around eventually. I don't regret any buys or sells I've made, but if starting again I would've cut out the Ibanez stage and go straight from P to J bass.

I'd have bought a Yamaha BB2000, a BB2000F, and a BB5000, and saved myself a lot of time (25 or 30 years) and money (well into six figures). I know being able to say I've owned most of the alphabet, from Alembic to Zeta, can, on occasions, attract a certain number of cool points, but all it really says about me is I either suffer from decision paralysis or grass is greener syndrome. Sure, I'd know a lot less about other marques and models, but sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Started with a Columbus EB type.
Ibanez Blazer next.
Fender P walnut.
Hohner steinberger copy.
Squier P-bass special.
Fender Jazz MIM.
Warwick Streamer.
Yamaha BB - current.
I gigged the hohner the most and it was great for touring with but I guess I'd go back to the 70/80s P-bass and actually get it set up as opposed to thinking 'this doesn't play well!'

My first bass completely shaped how I developed as a bass player so there is no way that I would ever change that.

With the benefit of hindsight I probably wouldn't have bought so many 4-string fretless basses and ordered my fretless Sei sooner, but there's nothing else I would change.