Why become a member? ×

Band members

janmaat

I guess it depends on how imaginitive and talented the players are and how much kit you are prepared to haul around. Rush seem to cope OK with only 3 players but there's a whole swathe of technical stuff ging on as backup with samples and pedals as well as a huge amount of talent in the band. I once saw a band that was a 4 piece where the lead singer played guitar to a good standard and the other guitarist also had a midi pickup set up on his guitar so he could fill in on pseudo keyboards when required, so between the two of them they could do twin/harmony guitar or guitar+keys and the vocals. The important thing was they had it well rehearsed so they knew just who was responsible for what in a song [b]and they stuck to it[/b] and it sounded great. On the other hand I saw an old band mate's current project over the weekend and that is a 5 piece with 2 lead guitars where the singer also plays guitar so at times there were 3 guitars all going at it and it was all a bit unnecessary.

Depends on the band. There are seven of us in the Pogues covers band, still one fewer than The Pogues although Shane didn't play anything.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='1340402' date='Aug 15 2011, 10:38 AM']More members also increases the likelihood of hearing "I'm unavailable that day."[/quote]

We sometimes gig with six, or even five, depending on who is available.

I've done everything from duo to big band,but at the moment I'm doing a lot with between
4-8 piece. I prefer playing with the larger bands as I find that I have more freedom,especially
when there are keys. As much as I like playing in a trio,I find that often you need to be more
of an 'anchor',especially under guitar solos. In the larger bands I have more room to either
play busier or lay out-I don't always have to stick to riffs. I'm usually a pretty busy player
anyway,but I think it works better if there are keys to fill things out.

[quote name='bartelby' post='1340520' date='Aug 15 2011, 11:43 AM']I much prefer 4 piece (vocals, bass, guitar and drums).[/quote]
For punk, as in my last band, the above is ideal, especially if the singer can also play guitar on occaisonal numbers which need it.

For rock, or metal, I think 2 gtrs are always needed in the line-up.

But in my current band, we have 8 people:

Drums
2 Basses
3 Gtrs (one of whom is lead vocs)
Keyboards
Vocs

Just the three of us - a mate on guitar/vocals, another on keys/vocals (a cheap n nasty 90s Yamaha Portatone with built-in drums - part of our sound!) and myself on bass and occasional backing vocals when the line's simple. I did a stint on synths with the band when we reformed as a four-piece and we used to swap instruments for some songs.

Depends entirely on the style of music, how disciplined the musicians are and how much technology you use.

I've played in everything from duos (with taped or sequenced backing) to 6 pieces (one of which used a drum machine which would have made us a 7 piece with a human drummer).

There is no right answer, however if the music consistently sounds too thin you might need another instrumentalist, conversely if you're doubling up parts too often you may have too many members.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1340708' date='Aug 15 2011, 02:35 PM']Drums
2 Basses
3 Gtrs (one of whom is lead vocs)
Keyboards
Vocs[/quote]

2 bassists AND 3 guitarists?!?

Blimey! When you've mentioned 2 bassists before I was thinking either
2 bassists and one guitarist, Ned's Atomic Dustbin style
or 2 bassists and no guitarist, a la Cop Shoot Cop!

Just got back from the Bulldog Bash, wherein I saw Simon McBride & band (3-piece blues power trio) and Urban Voodoo Machine (up to 12 players onstage at a time, playing Tom Waits/Nick Cave-style stuff) as well as many equally excellent bands of all sizes in between. I'd like to try a power trio myself, but as long as it's well-done I'm not overly bothered whichever way.

Ive been gigging with a band that has 4 (B/D/G/V) , they don't have a keys player so it keeps it simple and the split is better re cash, never once been in a rehearsal room, low key, min volume run throughs in a house every now and then just to get endings / starts etc, works wonderfully

But equally, I love playing in large bands with keys/brass etc when I get the chance, but I never expect to get much or any dosh in these situations, but the above funds the gear I guess

We are 5 at the mo but can be 4 if keys aint available. Lucky to have a female singer who can play sax/flute and a versatile guitartist with strong vox. The keys do make it easier from the bass perspective IMHO as there is no need to be on the button all the time - can do a few show offy things but not too many - two per song max :)

[quote name='JTUK' post='1340374' date='Aug 15 2011, 10:11 AM']Not interested in less than 5 and need keys.[/quote]
From previous posts of yours I'm surprised your closed off like this JTUK?

I would do solo work if I could, I have done some duo stuff, Played in an originals 3 piece from 1989-2005, Played in blues bands with 4,5 and 6 members, Just started a 5 piece function band and play as part of the Dave Barron Band which varies depending on other players workload but no less than 3, can be as many as 7. If you have more members they don't all have to play at the same time, some sit out for certain songs for example.

Both covers bands are 4-piece, vocals, guitar, bass, drums. The vocalist in one of them can play guitar too but as yet hasn't - I think we might benefit from him playing on one or two tracks.

A former band had two full-time guitarists plus the vocalist playing guitar on some songs too. It did actually work quite well.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='1340402' date='Aug 15 2011, 10:38 AM']More members also increases the likelihood of hearing "I'm unavailable that day."[/quote]

Having major difficulties with this at the moment even though my originals band are only a 4 piece. Getting right on my nerves if I'm honest.

Originals is 4: 1 singer, 1 guitarist, 1 drummer and me on bass and backing vocals

Covers is 6 (at the moment): 1 singer, 2 guitarists, 1 keys, 1 drummer and me on bass with 1 guitarist and the keyboard player both doing backing vocals.

I prefer to play in bands with fewer instruments.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1341037' date='Aug 15 2011, 07:25 PM']From previous posts of yours I'm surprised your closed off like this JTUK?

I would do solo work if I could, I have done some duo stuff, Played in an originals 3 piece from 1989-2005, Played in blues bands with 4,5 and 6 members, Just started a 5 piece function band and play as part of the Dave Barron Band which varies depending on other players workload but no less than 3, can be as many as 7. If you have more members they don't all have to play at the same time, some sit out for certain songs for example.[/quote]

Not sure I'd say closed off. :)
I like 5 piece as I don't really want a player as a singer, but this isn't so hard and fast.
I'd add a sax but we can't afford one even though he'd earn his money.
I know the guys I'd want and I know how they can play. I like the different sounds that keys can add...and it just opens up so much more stuff you can take on.
I have a groove type project in the making...just waiting for a few things to click into place and it will come about. I'll use mainly the same guys I dep with or have met on dates..musical, that is...:)
Vox will be a between a a few female vox, mostly..depending on their repetoire

What I don't want is a gtr player than we end up backing...so no 3 pieces with a gtr jizzing all over.
No twin gtrs unless they are very different..I just don't think there is enough variation to keep me interested.
Solo after gtr solo bores me silly, I'm afraid and most local bands can't cover a song well enough as a 4.

I just don't want to be like 90% of the line-ups round here, doing the same set.
When I get calls for deps.. which are mostly bookers with a pickup band, I always ask what the line-up is... there is invariably
a sax and there may be 2 gtrs without keys and the stuff can go somewhere... but I wouldn't want to do this too often.
Keys who can busk are in short supply round here

Keep it all occasional, keep it fresh

I have to say if I walk into a pub and its a 3 or 4 piece...I'll probably not stay long. There are a couple of blues players who can do it all night, but I'd rather play that than listen to it.

oh, forgot..I'd have horns as well..but then the money gets silly and the band needs to be rehearsed/arranged for them as a section.

Edited by JTUK