Why become a member? ×

Bass strap height...

GBass

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1316221' date='Jul 25 2011, 08:44 PM']I like mine at the correct height...
which is high :D

shame it looks so silly :lol:[/quote]
Tish tish, it doesn't look silly. My strap is high and I'm as cool as they come :)

Up until recently I was middling, but found this was causing a lot of pain in my fretting hand, I do fret awfully. Hence I'm now on the high side to the point there's little left in the strap to go any higher.

It must be said I look very professional. :)

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1316234' date='Jul 25 2011, 08:50 PM']Depends what I'm playing! If it's anything technical i have it medium/high. But if i'm blasting out rock and roll on a 4 string it only works if slung low :)[/quote]

You're right. It just feels plain wrong to play a punk rock number with the horn almost rubbing your chin. :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1316224' date='Jul 25 2011, 08:45 PM']I'm a medium.

The money's not great but you get to meet lots of people and make them happy.[/quote]

I had an idea for a TV show once, about an obese psychic detective called Jimmy Small, called "Small, Extra Large Medium"

Anyway, I have had someone take the mick because my bass was so high, but I've always considered myself a medium

Edited by Roland Rock

I started with low, like low end of my crotch low.
Raised it up a bit, then after getting a really painful wrist I took someones advice.
Put it at the height you play it sitting down, best way.

People who have it under their chin? No, I cannot imagine it being in any way comfortable and lets be honest you look like a berk whatever genre you play.

Low

I`ve got a bad shoulder, and I find playing with my arm at full length is much more comfortable. I`d actually like to be able to play it at the same height as when sitting down, as it`s much easier for my fretting hand like that, but even 10 mins of that and my shoulder hurts summat rotten, so it`s low slung and cool looking.

I set my strap sat down, so that when I stand up, the Bass stays in exactly the same position. If I practice something that requires a bit of extra effort or dexterity whilst I am sat at home, i want to minimise any changes that i make to finger positions or posture when I'm on stage. If the Bass hasn't moved position then, even if it's purely psychosomatic, I'm more likely to nail the passage live! Besides, I can't play tech metal with the Bass below my nether regions anyway!!

I think you should play your bass with it up as high as it'll go. :)

I don't though. I do the same as Dood, set it up sitting down with the bass how I play sitting down & then adjust the strap so it's in the same position when I stand.

[quote name='neepheid' post='1316232' date='Jul 25 2011, 08:49 PM']You tell me:

I would guess medium, but it just seems right to me. I wear my bass so that it's at the same(ish) height regardless if whether I'm sitting down or standing.[/quote]
That's medium hot.