Why become a member? ×

"Fretless-bass-is-a-cliche-instrument-and-it-should-be-outlawed"

Dood

[quote name='Conan' post='1301903' date='Jul 13 2011, 12:22 AM']Ironically, the first time I ever heard Berlin was on Bruford's "Feels good to me" album.

I actually thought it was Jaco. Seriously. :)[/quote]
Back in 1985 I had the opportunity to ask Jeff if he played any fretless on the album. He said there may have been a fretless lying around the studio that got played a bit.

He also slaps on that album and in a video with Kazumi Watanabe.

I think Jeff has problems communicating, he just doesn't know how to voice his opinions in a way that would be better received. And he's a bit of a prick :)

I understand where he's coming from,but I think that it's harshly put. I think there is a clear Jaco influence in the vast majority of fretless players.Listening to guys like Michael Manring,Gary Willis,Pino,Steve Bailey,Alain Caron, Marcus Miller and way more,you can hear the Jaco influence in the way they play and in their tone. I'm not saying they sound exactly like Jaco,but the influence is there.
Berlin is right though when he says about players playing out of tune and playing sliding harmonics. So many players pick up a fretless and start sliding everywhere and adding vibrato to every note.

Every instrument has them. There is electric guitar before Clapton and Hendrix and electric guitar after. There is tenor saxophone before Lester Young and after, before Coleman Hawkins and after, before Coltrane and after. There is violin before Paganini and after, trumpet before Louis Armstrong, alto sax before and after Parker, classical guitar before and afer Sergovia..... the lists are endless. Jaco was massively influential, no doubt, but that influence is legitimate when it forms part of the future generation of bass players but the does not mean that they are plaguirists. None of the guys listed here are any more like Jaco than Berlin is like Jack Bruce.

Many whoi listen to the superficialities of players draw parallels - we have all heard 'you sound like....' comments when we know we don't (I got 'you/re better than that Richard Bona bloke once; am I f***). Anyone who can't tell teh difference between Jaco and Alain Caron or Michael Manring has cloth ears.

And I have never used a chorus pedal, WEM copycat or octave divider!

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1302120' date='Jul 13 2011, 11:27 AM']And I have never used a chorus pedal, WEM copycat or octave divider![/quote]
You should. Makes fretless sound much nicer. Get a deep rate going on the chorus and you cover up the fluffs.

I've got a nice 1968 Copicat. Proper tape job. Come over and give it a go. :)

I hate effects pedals generally. I have never foudn one that actually [i]enhances[/i] the bass, only detracts from the core sound I like. Trouble with Copycats is they tie you into a two bar loop and there is nothing I find more tedious than a two bar loop :)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1301256' date='Jul 12 2011, 04:37 PM']JB can be such a pillock. So Percy Jones sounds like Jaco, does he? I think not. So Mick Karn sounds like Jaco, does he? I think not. So I sound like Jaco do I? I think not.

To suggest all fretless players sound like Jaco shows a complete inability to hear the distinct differences between individual players. THe differences between 30 fretless electrci players is as marked as those between 30 different double bass players or 30 fretted bass players. They all sound liek a fretless/fretted/doouble bass but they all sound different.

Wayne Shorter, Joe Lovano, Joe Henderson, John Coltrane, Chris Potter, Michael Brecker - they all sound like tenor players but all sound completely different. If JB can't tell the difference between Jaco, Michale Manring, Percy Jones, Mick Karn and a cast of thousands, then he ain't trying very hard. JB, for all his skills, comes across as a concrete thinker. His opinions are now decades old and show no evidence of reconsideration in the face of compelling evidence to the contrary.[/quote]

Massive +1 there Rob - and all I'll add is Gary Willis OWNS the whole fretless thing today - he's taken all of Jaco's concepts and refined them, built on them and has his own unique sound and musical approach - he's one of my biggest inspirations and the fact he plays fretless is part of what he does but it's not ALL that he does - would Jeff be so conceited as to refute anything GW does just because he plays fretless? Probably - which sadly makes JB look all the more an ass... sad really as I appreciate his musicianship, if not all of his music, and he has got many valid points on many musical topics - shame he has to be so belligerent and aggressive in asserting his views - as if there's simply no room for disagreement... if the resulting shitstorms are his desired result of expressing them then again - he's an even bigger ass....