Why become a member? ×

"Fretless-bass-is-a-cliche-instrument-and-it-should-be-outlawed"

Dood

[quote name='RhysP' post='1304808' date='Jul 15 2011, 07:18 AM']He uses a Tobias on the Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe live DVD too.[/quote]
I need to check that out, I heard he only had a few days notice for that gig which he spent writing out all the parts.

As much of a douchebag as he can be I think it's hard to argue he is also extremely skilled and knowledgable.

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1306361' date='Jul 17 2011, 01:26 AM']I need to check that out, I heard he only had a few days notice for that gig which he spent writing out all the parts.[/quote]

He had two days notice. He wrote charts out for all the songs apart from "Close to the edge", which he apparently knew already.

It's a great DVD - some really good versions of old Yes stuff, and the ABWH material is great too.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1307139' date='Jul 17 2011, 10:05 PM']Unlined and no side dots fretless:
I'd like to see Berlin on the last one.[/quote]

The best ever guy I saw on one of these was a support act for Kevin Bloody Wilson at the Hexagon in Reading some time in the 90s... forget his name but he was an American comic telling the bluest jokes you can imagine while not only riding a unicycle but at the same time juggling an axe, an egg, and a giant dildo. Had to be seen to be believed.

ficelles

Edited by ficelles

I think I know Jeffs problem.

In a recent interview I read he claims to travel the world with only his one Dean custom bass. He is obviously skint and can't afford a nice Fender custom shop Jaco thingy and he' in a great big cream puff !!!

For the record I simply don't believe that a bass player would do world yours with only one bass - what happened if it broke / got lost / got stolen. ??? Why even Adam Clayton has 62 basses per show and he's not even a bass player !!

The last bit was for comic effect only before I get flamed by U2 fans.

S

Sometimes I think that Jeff just says stuff to annoy people on bass forums and to keep his name out there. Good for him. I'm glad he is comfortable enough in his own skin to bluntly give his opinions to the world. It doesn't mean I have to agree, care or resist the urge to laugh out loud.

I understand at the time he was coming through, to play a fretless bass would probably scream 'Jaco clone'. So in his strange way, and in his chosen genre of music, he has a point.

Really though, I just don't think that a fretless has any more of an built in tone than a 'fretted Fender Jazz-type bass being played fingerstyle, with the back pickup soloed, with the eq run flat, apart from a bump in the mids'.

[quote name='ficelles' post='1307373' date='Jul 18 2011, 02:34 AM']The best ever guy I saw on one of these was a support act for Kevin Bloody Wilson at the Hexagon in Reading some time in the 90s... forget his name but he was an American comic telling the bluest jokes you can imagine while not only riding a unicycle but at the same time juggling an axe, an egg, and a giant dildo. Had to be seen to be believed.

ficelles[/quote]
He was juggling an axe, an egg AND Jeff Berlin?

[quote name='steve-bbb' post='1305476' date='Jul 16 2011, 08:59 AM']here here - jaco was an all round player and musician - jb's musical brain seems to my ears to be predominantly and overhelmingly focussed on his right hand technique - when his left hand gets as good as his right we should be in for some musical treats -[/quote]

Have you ever watched his left hand? His right hand technique is superb, but his left hand technique is as good as it gets. Now, if he could move away from the bass led fuzak and start writing emsemble fusion songs again he'd be onto a winner. He's an amazing bassist but it doesn't need to be front and centre all day long. He needs to do some fusion trio stuff with Frank Gambale and a great drummer like Jeff Sipe to get him back to basics.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1311915' date='Jul 21 2011, 07:14 PM']Have you ever watched his left hand? His right hand technique is superb, but his left hand technique is as good as it gets. Now, if he could move away from the bass led fuzak and start writing emsemble fusion songs again he'd be onto a winner. He's an amazing bassist but it doesn't need to be front and centre all day long. He needs to do some fusion trio stuff with Frank Gambale and a great drummer like Jeff Sipe to get him back to basics.[/quote]
:) Frank Gambale :)

[quote name='paul_5' post='1307261' date='Jul 17 2011, 11:24 PM']Herman Munster doing Baldrick's famous "slug balancing act" on a unicycle - where do I sign?[/quote]

It was worth reading this thread just for the Amy Pond avatar. Nice one. :)