Why become a member? ×

"Fretless-bass-is-a-cliche-instrument-and-it-should-be-outlawed"

Dood

Berlin's a good player but he doesn't half talk some absolute cockwash sometimes.

He sounds like he hasn't listened to anything contemporary for about thirty years.

Let's face it, I could recognise a Mick Karn bassline at three hundred metres, his style is that distinctive.

Saying all fretless playing post-Jaco is irrelevant is pretty dim, but then, anyone with a tash like that must be.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1301383' date='Jul 12 2011, 05:56 PM']I got that wrong then. :)

Sorry Bob.[/quote]
Bob says,
HHHHGGGGhhhhhhSSS...SPIT!
:)

mind you in the entertainment business that is dead....isnt it? ......isnt it?...isnt it?!!!

Edited by witterth

[quote name='hairyhaw' post='1301382' date='Jul 12 2011, 05:55 PM']Berlin's a good player but he doesn't half talk some absolute cockwash sometimes.

He [s]sounds[/s] looks like he hasn't [s]listened to[/s] worn anything contemporary for about thirty years.[/quote]

Fixed it for you...

I can see where he's coming from ...... to a degree .
He's stated in another interview that Jaco's impact was so great on fretless , that every other player was deemed to be compared to him , whether by design or not .

I quite like Jeff . I don't always agree with the stuff he sprouts out , nor do I go a lot on his music , but he says it as he sees it . In a similar forthright way that Anthony Jackson sometimes does , or even Scott Thunes .

He admitted Jack Bruce as being a non Jaco clone , with his 'fart' bass sound . As others have said - Mick Karn was unique . I can hear an influence with John Giblin , but I'd say he's a far more 'rounded player' that Jaco ever was .

Like any chosen instument , sometimes the differences can be subtle from player to player , and with fretless the sound IS quite unique .

I think he's playing Devils advocate here , as he always does . Probably best not to listen to the guy . Which is shame , because what he has to impart to Bass players , always seems to be drowned out by this sort on nonsense .

Edited by E sharp

[quote name='E sharp' post='1301507' date='Jul 12 2011, 07:56 PM']I can see where he's coming from ...... to a degree .
He's stated in another interview that Jaco's impact was so great on fretless , that every other player was deemed to be compared to him , whether by design or not .

I quite like Jeff . I don't always agree with the stuff he sprouts out , nor do I go a lot on his music , but he says it as he sees it . In a similar forthright way that Anthony Jackson sometimes does , or even Scott Thunes .

He admitted Jack Bruce as being a non Jaco clone , with his 'fart' bass sound . As others have said - Mick Karn was unique . I can hear an influence with John Giblin , but I'd say he's a far more 'rounded player' that Jaco ever was .

Like any chosen instument , sometimes the differences can be subtle from player to player , and with fretless the sound IS quite unique .

I think he's playing Devils advocate here , as he always does . Probably best not to listen to the guy . Which is shame , because what he has to impart to Bass players , always seems to be drowned out by this sort on nonsense .[/quote]
Scott's opinions are fairly mild and non-contentious in comparison with Jeff! I can't help liking Jeff for some reason, and I loved his columns in Guitar Player back in the day. He does say some really stupid things though, but he is the catalyst for debate and self analysis, and he challenges the mindless conventions we are almost all slave to.

Funny, from a proponent of what is for the large part generic cheese. The fretless has a distinct voice, but as mentioned plenty have taken it to different melodic places. Bitter domineering old Jeff needs to look outside his clinic once in a while

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1301400' date='Jul 12 2011, 06:31 PM']He should listen to some bauhaus / love & rockets - David J has his own sound.[/quote]

True. He inspired to have a go at playing a fretless. As did Glenn Campling.

[quote name='Monckyman' post='1301581' date='Jul 12 2011, 08:53 PM']This [i]has[/i] to go in the classic quotes thread surely?
:lol:[/quote]
Bob Carolgees? Why? cos its true?
did you think he was "Rock and Roll" at some time? (78 maybe?)
he had a stuffed dog not a monkey!! :)
J for Joke
Ps read my earlier post btw #33 ( I "hint" at the irony) :)

btw Pino allways aknowledges a debt to Jaco in interviews espescially in his "Paul Young " era
fantastic player though one of my all time favorites

Edited by witterth

[quote name='Skol303' post='1301295' date='Jul 12 2011, 04:56 PM']PS: Dood wins the "Devil's Advocate" award, methinks! :)[/quote]

I was just so gobsmacked, I couldn't bring myself to answer!

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1301522' date='Jul 12 2011, 08:08 PM']Pino. Nuff said. Totally original. Instantly recognisable.[/quote]

+1000000000000000000000

Jeff Berlin is just a bitter old man. Bitter that we was always standing in Jaco's shadow, and bitter Pino (and others such as Baghiti Khumalo and Michael Manring) have found success and individuality on a fretless bass and proven themselves to be better players than him by stepping out of Jaco's shadow.