Why become a member? ×

Behringer

tom1946

Hi folks, I'm in need of a portable combo for occasional use in other churches, would this fit the bill?

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_bxl3000a_ultrabass.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_bxl3000a_ultrabass.htm[/url]

Anyone had/got one?
Or any suggestions on a not too heavy combo would be appreciated, 150-200w with a 15" speaker.

My Trace that's up for sale here is 33k so the wife is having trouble lifting it.

Edited by tom1946

How about one of [url="http://www.hollywood-music.co.uk/products.php?product=Ashdown-Electric-Blue-EB-15%252d180-EVO-II-180W-Bass-Combo"]these[/url]?

I used to have a 12" version and it was really good.

I've never heard anything good about Behringer amps. Although that doesn't mean that they aren't fine.

I`ve no experience of that particular amp, but a local bassist uses a Behringer head/cab set-up, and he sounds awesome. In addition, every bit of Behringer gear I`ve used, I have found to both sound good, and be very reasonably priced.

Some slate Behringer, I`d say try it , let your ears decide.

My old school had a behringer combo they used for the concerts. It served its purpose and did it well, like an old peavey combo might.

Although personally, given the choice I'd take that Ashdown that was linked a couple of posts above mine. They've very good for the price.

They're ok.
They aren't going to blow you away,but I've certainly played through worse. I bought one in
a hurry a few years back,when my then combo broke,and it lasted me for a couple of years
and then it started blowing fuses very regularly. In the time I used it though,it did a good
enough job for what I needed it for and didn't sound too bad. I wouldn't rush out to buy another
though...I'd be more inclined to get a Roland Cube.

• 1 month later...

Portable? Hmm.

I've been using one of these (BX1200) for pub gigs for years now. Bought it because at the time, it was the best combination of small and loud I could find on my budget.

Sound, as others have noted, is OK. Nothing to write home about, but usable. Reasonably loud for what it is.

At 22kg it should be reasonably portable, but actually the kickback shape makes it the single most unpopular bit of kit in our band.

It's just really awkward and uncomfortable to carry, and we've had more than a few barked shins and twisted shoulders between us. It's too small for two to carry, and for one person there's really no health-and-safety-approved lugging method.

I've no experience of the little lightweight Gallien Kruegers, but mightn't the MB115 be worth a look?

You must have a PA in a church (I assume there are mics). I'd rather recommend something a lot less powerful (and therefore cheaper and lighter) and investing in a decent bass amp mic (or DI ofc).
You could also always rely solely on the PA and just get yourself a Sansamp.

On the behringer note, I will say that I've heard a lot of people slate their gear, but to my ears and knowledge it's always been alright for the price. Thing is, I would never say it is more than alright. It does the job just fine but you'll never hear anyone rave about it.

I recently had a Behringer 180 watt Ultrabass 12" combo, it wasnt particuarly a bad amp, but it was so heavy to carry for a small amp that I had to get rid of it.
The ultrabass thing was a bit of a gimmick too - I never used that feature.
+1 with the Ashdown.

[quote name='dc2009' post='1306339' date='Jul 16 2011, 11:54 PM']You must have a PA in a church (I assume there are mics). I'd rather recommend something a lot less powerful (and therefore cheaper and lighter) and investing in a decent bass amp mic (or DI ofc).
You could also always rely solely on the PA and just get yourself a Sansamp.

On the behringer note, I will say that I've heard a lot of people slate their gear, but to my ears and knowledge it's always been alright for the price. Thing is, I would never say it is more than alright. It does the job just fine but you'll never hear anyone rave about it.[/quote]

Most church PAs aren't built to take bass at anything like a decent volume.

I'd recommend spending £16 on a decent set of castors (75-100mm) that will roll across poor surfaces and bung them on your existing combo. Then the only lift is into the car afterward - works for me with a Laney 4X10 combo.

I've read the anti Behringer rants for years now.
My experience? I own a Behringer head and cab and during the time I've had them I've also used other kit I own. I've had Laney, Trace Elliot and Eden amps all let me down, spent on repairs and had one of them break down in another different way - and the Behringer still plods on. Never ever once let me down.
The sound to me is solid, unspectacular and perfectly acceptable.

I've only played through their front ported 4x10 combo, and it sounded like arse. So much mud, and if you dialed it out you became totally inaudible and weak.

On the other hand a bass player put his behringer head through my markbass cab and it sounded pretty good.

Seems to be a bit of a marmite situation, but it'd be alright for the money. I'd be more inclined to wait til something suitable comes up second hand though, you could probably get a decent ashdown combo for under £200

List of Behringer kit I actually own and have used for between 5 and 10 years
Powered stereo mixer
Bass v-amp effects unit
stereo graphic equaliser
450 watt head
4X10 1000watt cab
1X15 5oowatt cab

List of Behringer kit I actually own and use that has ever broken down.

I owned a BX3000t, years ago - it worked, weighed a ton, sounded pretty dull, and was very wimpy for it's 300watt rating. Ok for the cash I suppose, but for the same money, give me a used Peavey T Max any day of the week.

I also owned a 2x10 "bugera" coned cab - easily the heaviest 2x10 cab I've owned. Sounded naff, a bitch to lug about and the speakers self destructed after two rehearsals.

You get what you pay for.