Why become a member? ×

Lightweight = Lightsound

Bloc Riff Nut

I started playing about 20yrs ago then stopped for a number of years. Two years ago I started playing again, but in the meantime all the gear had changed. The lightweights had appeared. There are a lot of lightweight threads and interest in the new fandangled lightweight gear. So much so that I ended up going down that road myself. I bought a Markbass CMD102P 18KG and 300W and what I believed to be a great sound, loud, clean, plenty of bottom...

That was untill I got my new rig - Trace Elliot V6 head and Eden D410XLT.
The new rig (Trace/Eden) is secondhand and cost about 1200Euros and weighs 60+ kilos.
The old rig (Markbass) was new and cost around 1200Euros and weighed 18 kilos.

The sound of the big and heavy stuff - Deeper, fatter, bassier, ballsier, crunchier, smoother, sweeter and the rest.
Trade in the kilos and you trade in sound quality. Some brands with boutique price tags can limit the damage but at the end of the day BIG(and heavy) = Beautiful.

Be a man and start lifting the weights!

Phil.

I'd agree with the weight is best argument when I comes to amps - old heavy amps are miles better.

When it comes to cabs - i'll stick to claber's finest - i've yet to come across anything that compares to my super twelve

You've moved from a 2x10 to a 4x10, I'm not suprised it's fatter :)

Cab size/shape matters, but I don't see how weight can have any impact unless the weight saving has been at the expense of the build quality.

Saying that, I wouldn't mind a V6, and I'd agree that you can't beat a full valve amp if that's the tone you're after.

Edited by Wil

[quote name='Muzz' post='1226311' date='May 10 2011, 03:23 PM']Lightweight = Lightsound?
One of the finest examples ... of utter bollocks I've ever read on here. :)[/quote]

+1

My MarkBass SA450 & 2 x Barefaced Compacts is as deep and powerful as any other comparable rig, if not more so.
I started out with a Mesa Boogie Bass 400+ amp through a Mesa Boogie Diesel 2x15" (loaded with EV speakers) so know all about heavy rigs.

Cheers,
Jon

[quote name='Tinman' post='1226302' date='May 10 2011, 03:19 PM']Wrong, wrong and thrice wrong. I have a Barefaced Vintage - feather light but sounds absolutely massive. :)[/quote]

Me too. On both counts!

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='1226285' date='May 10 2011, 03:06 PM']Where's that old thread about not being a bass player unless you use a valve SVT through two 8x10s for a pub gig.....[/quote]

Yeah, that thread was hours of entertainment. I guess the troll has hidden back under his bridge

Hahaha, i love these threads!

However, the OP needs to ditch that Trace sh1t and get an SVT with an 8x10, anything else and he's just kidding himself:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=100953&hl=kidding+themselves"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...ding+themselves[/url]

In other news:
Flea is better than Mark King
Jazzes beat Precisions
PCs are for men, Macs are for boys
Tabs will give you AIDS
Slagging Muslims off is "racist"

[quote name='Bloc Riff Nut' post='1226247' date='May 10 2011, 02:47 PM']....I bought a Markbass CMD102P 18KG and 300W and what I believed to be a great sound, loud, clean, plenty of bottom...

That was untill I got my new rig - Trace Elliot V6 head and Eden D410XLT....[/quote]
Hi Phil, I hope you've got a thick skin!!

The problem with your assessment of this bass gear is that you're comparing an SS 300 watt 210 combo with a 410 cab and a 300 watt valve head. Then you're trying to claim that the improved sound is down to the difference in weight!!!!

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1226338' date='May 10 2011, 03:51 PM']Hahaha, i love these threads!

However, the OP needs to ditch that Trace sh1t and get an SVT with an 8x10, anything else and he's just kidding himself:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=100953&hl=kidding+themselves"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...ding+themselves[/url]

In other news:
Flea is better than Mark King
Jazzes beat Precisions
PCs are for men, Macs are for boys
Tabs will give you AIDS
Slagging Muslims off is "racist"[/quote]

I love these threads too, you guys make me laugh. Even if you are right.

Actually, I have some thoughts that there is something in this as I've messed around with NEO's recently.

Very difficult to tell unless side by side and then different specs etc etc...BUT..I have recordings of
a 1x15/210 config over 2x1x12's and the sound of the latter does me fine atm and the best thing about it is I can live with the compromise main beneficiary, but there is something in the weightier sound of the heavier rig. Not so much up close, but out front, IMO.

Of course, it is not like for like..but I can hear a difference enough to not dismiss this out of hand.

I am really enjoying my 2x112's but I am also putting together a main rig around 115/210 which will come out on special days and when I can justify carting it around.
I would have gone for 610 as this would have been a cheaper and better..to my ears..option, but I can't fit that into the car.

I have also had NEO's over ceramic in the same box and the cermanics were supposed to outclassed by the more modern NEO but not in terms of the sound, IMO.
Subjective..?? sure, but then the whole subject is subjective.

My feeling is that NEO's are a fad...maybe tooooo strong a word.. albeit one with major pluses in weight but what will keep them valid more than anything is the weight issue and schlepping them around rather than better sound.

If Neo prices remain high..and that is an IF on commodities pricing and futures, then I wouldn't be surprised at all to see ceramics/traditional cabs making a comeback.

So buy up a few now, would be my hint..!! :) :)

Oh dear God, Neo is NOT a fad, serious PA have been nearly all Neo for a very long time indeed, simply put the haulage cost for a big neo rig is significantly less than that of a ceramic rig.

Too many other factors to say why you like the sound of rig a over rig b, but the actual weight of the rigs is the least of it IME.

+1 to the utter tosh in the OP!

[quote name='51m0n' post='1226386' date='May 10 2011, 04:28 PM']Oh dear God, Neo is NOT a fad, serious PA have been nearly all Neo for a very long time indeed, simply put the haulage cost for a big neo rig is significantly less than that of a ceramic rig.

Too many other factors to say why you like the sound of rig a over rig b, but the actual weight of the rigs is the least of it IME.

..........[/quote]

Sure, IYE... not mine. and I did say fad was too strong a word, but..

far from conclusive either way, I'm afraid.
I don't run NEO's atm..and as I have a light enough 112's, I am not really in that market and what puts me off more than anything
is my simple subjective experiments.

If you don't gig, you might not be quite so aware of this distance thing in backline I allude to but I noticed it straight away.

Of course, different cabs configs and all that..!! but we buy on the basis of what we hear or perceive we hear.

Lets just see what happens with Neo in bass cabs over the next 2-3 years.

Im not saying I agree or disagree, but I think some factors, eg comparing a few pounds with 1x12s, makes little difference. If you prefer the ceramic tone, BUY it. A 1x12 is never going to be silly weight.