Why become a member? ×

Lightweight bass guitar?

mboursnell

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='139935' date='Feb 13 2008, 10:53 PM']I think there is a Bass Collection for sale on these very pages. They dont come much lighter than that.[/quote]
and this is [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=13230&st=0&p=137923&#entry137923"]the link[/url]

We had a thread on the lightest basses back in the bassworld days and this one came out the lightest (joint first with a [url="http://www.westone.info/railbass.html"]Westone Rail Bass [/url]actually) at just 3.1kgs (7lbs if you prefer).

I have an old Bass Collection 4-string, from back in the early 90's. Seriously, it's insanely light. If it was the 5-string version on sale, I would have snapped it up by now.

It sounds pretty fat, considering and also has one of the slimmest and fastest necks out there.

Next, I'd say the Ibanez SR range are pretty light - not quite up there with Bass Collection, but a lot lighter than most.

Edited by geilerbass

[quote name='mboursnell' post='139922' date='Feb 13 2008, 10:34 PM']Hi everyone,

Does anyone know of a good lightweight bass guitar, with weight info.

I have been recommended several, such as the Cort GB74, Aerodyne Jazz Bass, Ibanez SR500, but I don't have the weight of any of these. Does anyone have one of these that they can weigh for me?

Thanks,

Mike[/quote]

My Warmoth Dinky PJ is 3.4kg; big fat Precision neck, swamp ash body.

How light do you want it? And must it be solid?

I'm a big fan of the Bass Collection SB320 (but make sure it's an original SGC Nanyo one) if solid's your thing.

If you're happy with semi-hollow, then check out the Danelectro DC Bass.

If you want absolute lightness, then try a Hofner 500/1 (the German one) or 500/1CT (the 'Contemporary', or official Chinese copy made by Hofner). You won't believe how light a bass can be.

• 6 years later...

yammie rbx4a2 just got one from bv247 its really light and comfortable on the strap 7lbs top
but... has a bit of a large gap in the neck pocket and the nut could do with a file so its likely on its way back. might see if they can source another or look at the ibby sr series-never played one but seem to have an army of fans. want the weight of sound my 1024 gives with a little less physical weight

[quote name='thebuckets' timestamp='1422998038' post='2679436']
yammie rbx4a2 just got one from bv247 its really light and comfortable on the strap 7lbs top
but... has a bit of a large gap in the neck pocket and the nut could do with a file so its likely on its way back. might see if they can source another or look at the ibby sr series-never played one but seem to have an army of fans. want the weight of sound my 1024 gives with a little less physical weight
[/quote]

damn....thats bad news....was that bass possibly a B stock?

.... how do you like the sound?

paperwork said it wasnt b stock but it has a gap i could drop a couple of plecs in although the neck joint felt solid enough. nut would need filing as fretting at the first was high and buzzed a bit if you dont hold down tightly. sound is good not as punchy as my 1024 but a bit of gain would sort that. very versatile, just different so i wont judge it too quickly. lovely and light. ill just see what they say. I have a white one which looks good but might be a bit too flashy for me! prob a black with the battery disconected would suit a wall flower like me!