Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My '63 P bass

Clarky

Here is my '63 P, which is all original bar OW refin. Sourced recently from the US by BC'er Si Clifton. The celluloid scratchplate is badly shrunken and cracked and I am trying to decide whether to stick with it for true authenticity or to put on a very authentic-looking repro celluloid guard (made about 20 years ago and nicely aged) that I have acquired from a US source. I think its rather lovely, the neck is wonderfully playable and it sounds superb (well, just like a good P should).

[attachment=77098:P1040183.JPG][attachment=77099:P1040192.JPG][attachment=77101:P1040190.JPG]

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='bajistaman' post='1194469' date='Apr 10 2011, 12:06 PM']If you dont mind how much did you pay for that beauty?[/quote]
About £3k as it was re-finned (100% original oly white '63 non-refins are very hard to find, much more so than sunburst basses; I tracked one down in the US and it would have been over £5k, so that decided me to go the refin route)

Lovely mate. Use the guard, it'll only shrink more if you take it off, and a repro never looks as good (or smells like the real thing). The back plate will prevent quite a lot of further damage anyway, and if you're worried about the jack socket, reinforce it a little.

Glad you're happy with it, Si gets some great basses

C

[quote name='gareth' post='1194690' date='Apr 10 2011, 03:35 PM']Any observations/comparisons with 70's p basses and more recent USA reissue p's?[/quote]
Its pretty light (<9 pounds; definitely noticeably lighter than your/my old ressue P with added J, Gareth, but about the same as my old 73P). The neck is obviously much chunkier than my old 73P but is so worn that all the varnish/lacquer has gone, which makes it very smooth and tactile and surprisingly fast to play. Sound-wise I would be lying to say there's much in it as there's only so much difference between split P pickups. To my ears it sounds deep, woody and rich, like a good P bass should

[quote name='chris_b' post='1194672' date='Apr 10 2011, 03:05 PM']If you take the scratch plate off screw it to a piece of wood so that it can't shrink or twist any more than it has already.[/quote]
^
This if you're going to go for the change.
It's a beauty Clarky and well done once again!

Regards,
Jon

[quote name='Shambo' post='1194966' date='Apr 10 2011, 07:46 PM']congrats, looks real nice. :)

are you going to play it out or baby it at home?[/quote]
It will get gigged, as soon as I get an electric gig! No babying at all planned. I play DB in my current band, Rattlin Bone, so there's no opportunity to use it in anger at the mo'

[quote name='Clarky' post='1194970' date='Apr 10 2011, 07:49 PM']It will get gigged, as soon as I get an electric gig! No babying at all planned. I play DB in my current band, Rattlin Bone, so there's no opportunity to use it in anger at the mo'[/quote]

If you need it used in anger mate I can gig it for you to keep it warm hahaha! :)

Naaa, leave it on and get it played...what's gonna happen to it?, it's already knackered lol.
If you do take it off, as mentioned earlier, screw it to something, otherwise it'll shrink more....a good reason to just leave it on I think

Si