Why become a member? ×

BGM

Pete Academy

[quote name='tommorichards' post='1174546' date='Mar 24 2011, 01:05 PM']So is this the brand new issue that is newer than the one featured on the website?[/quote]
It has Geddy Lee on the front of the magazine if that answers your question?

[quote name='tommorichards' post='1174592' date='Mar 24 2011, 01:34 PM']Yup it does. This is the one listed on the website

[/quote]
Yep, they need to update the site then. It's the next issue now already.

[quote name='risingson' post='1174394' date='Mar 24 2011, 11:03 AM']Why would you compile a list of the top 65 basses you should play? Is that actually compelling reading?[/quote]
It's not. It's a light hearted bit of fun, no different from your typical Basschat thread. :)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1175008' date='Mar 24 2011, 06:03 PM']Not seen the article yet but brave of BGM not to put a Fender in the number 1 spot![/quote]
I think they just wanted to avoid the obvious (Jazz was 2nd though & Precision 4th or 5th). I can't say I was surprised.

[quote name='Krysbass' post='1174498' date='Mar 24 2011, 12:42 PM']Have to say that I was annoyed by the reference/picture of the "Aria Pro II".

The blurb referred to John Taylor and Cliff Burton as noted players - fine. But both these guys played an Aria Pro II [b]SB[/b][u][/u] and this was not the bass pictured. This information is so well-known in the bass domain that it just smacks of plain laziness to not have it presented fully and correctly.

Rant over.[/quote]
It certainly makes you wonder if they have a clue , doesn't it .
That and the Precision being modelled on the Strat :)

[quote name='Krysbass' post='1174498' date='Mar 24 2011, 12:42 PM']Have to say that I was annoyed by the reference/picture of the "Aria Pro II".

The blurb referred to John Taylor and Cliff Burton as noted players - fine. But both these guys played an Aria Pro II [b]SB[/b][u][/u] and this was not the bass pictured. This information is so well-known in the bass domain that it just smacks of plain laziness to not have it presented fully and correctly.

Rant over.[/quote]

The small Hohner Jack picture is actually a guitar & not a bass...

Cheers,

B.

Quite surprised with the selection too. Rick 4001 at number one is a debatable choice, and the description of the aria pro II is just careless.
Also, no peavey T40, gibson ripper, ovation magnum and other classics.

All in all looks a bit like a friday afternoon job...

Edited by razze06

What a surprise, Leo's 'forgotten' brand G&L (L2000) lurking in the shadows at No. 58!
At least it helps retain some exclusivity for those who know :)

Although it was nice to read the opinion of the L2000 from 'Grog' from the British band 'Die So Fluid' -
"The G&L L2000 rules. Integeral to the signature sound of Die So Fluid, it's low-end meaty rumble
combined with super-dynamic top-end crunch, via active boost, packs a mighty punch in every situation,
handling our low tunings with magic, full-bodied tone."

Grog:

I finally picked my copy up today,and all I can say is.........lame.
Geddy on the cover due to half a page talking about his Ric and Jazz? Pointless.

Interestingly....in the 65 basses article,it says that the Carl Thompson $10 million bass was made
for Les Claypool. Wrong.
It was made to be the best instrument he could make and is owned by a guy called Wes.

I always find these things to be so pointless, like the numerous top100 guitarist polls which you get the same top 10 (usually highly over rated players) then the rest are just flavour of the month. I was pretty shocked also that a Roscoe didn't make it in there though, but then quite a few high end basses didn't.
Things like this annoy me though as it's just personal opinion and doesn't actually mean anything. Like I occasionally visit www.jemsite.com for my guitaring needs and make a big point of avoiding the "polls" sections. Full of "Paul Gilbert vs Steve Vai vs Slash, who is better"? Seriously stupid and opinionated question to ask, utterly pointless, doesn't achieve anything and is then argued out by 13 year olds who claim to own £10k's worth of equipment and know everything about music.

Anyway, pointless article is my point lol.

Editorial meeting at BGM, Tuesday afternoon.

Joel, "Well Nick , looks like it worked"

Nick," Yep, we've hit 42 posts and counting"!

Joel," How about for the 70th Edition we do "70 Amps you must play", and we make a Behringer UltraBass BVT5500H the winner?"

Nick, "F*ckin ace, we've really hit on something and bad publicity is better than no publicity"

Joel, "Ker-ching"

Nick and Joel do "High Fives"

What's the deal with the cruddy picture of the 4001 with a reverse headstock? Like a sh*t jpeg they found on a sh*t website.

A lot of the images are very badly Photoshopped. Look at the awful pics of the ZONs where pesumably it was amateur hour with the pen tool and paths.

[quote name='silddx' post='1181872' date='Mar 30 2011, 09:34 AM']A lot of the images are very badly Photoshopped. Look at the awful pics of the ZONs where pesumably it was amateur hour with the pen tool and paths.[/quote]

Glad I wasn't the only one whose Wa was disturbed by this. The other thing that annoyed me is that they've mirrored a picture to make the layout look better. In a non-musician mag I could understand it, but shouldn't they have more integrity.

#Pauses and considers the last sentence#

Anyway, they're all tools to get the job done. And I'm convinced Joe Public wouldn't be able to tell which bass is used on a track unless it was used to bludgeon him to death shortly thereafter.

#starts another 'sounds in the fingers' thread#

[quote name='dougal' post='1181998' date='Mar 30 2011, 11:22 AM']Anyway, they're all tools to get the job done. And I'm convinced Joe Public wouldn't be able to tell which bass is used on a track unless it was used to bludgeon him to death shortly thereafter.[/quote]

Neither can 99.9% of bass players.

Good point about the pictures as well. The fact that the picture of the Hohner Jack is clearly a 6 string guitar is unforgivable.

[quote name='dougal' post='1181998' date='Mar 30 2011, 11:22 AM']...#starts another 'sounds in the fingers' thread#[/quote]
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the sound is NOT in the fingers. I stuck my fingers in my ears and I heard [b][i]nothing...[/i][/b]

Lists are as subjective as Geddy's opinions. And mine. And yours. A 4001/4003 at #1? Great. And about time, by the law of averages ([i]and [/i] the aforementioned subjectivity) it just had to happen...eventually... :)

Yeah +1 to most of the above. I thought it was a waste of ink and paper, and how do you differentiate the bass at 48 from that at 47 (I have no idea what those two instruments are people I'm selecting numbers randomly by way of an illustration, so please don't shout at me :) ).

Even as a list of 65 basses you should try before you die I think it has serious short comings. Not particularly objective it seems to me, I wonder how the editorial team determined the criteria and how they scored it - assuming they went that far.