Why become a member? ×

just dont get amp GAS..

bubinga5

ok ive been playing for 10+ years, but i know very little about my amp, apart from how to EQ it..i know its a good amp and i love the sound.. i bought it because i played a jazz bass through the head from a friend, that i now own, and loved the sound it produced..

i know basses inside out.. ive taken every bass i have owned (which is poss about 19) apart, modded them, set them up, put them back together... i really know my basses, but i really cant connect with amps..

i just dont get the same GAS for amps... i personally think if its a good,,ish amp the bass will speak to you.. but its funny because thats really the first amp in your signal..

maybe i was lucky and got the amp i like the sound of the best in the first place...or maybe there is a better amp i like?

I think a lot of GAS in general is down to familiarity. After you've had something a while you get used to it and it becomes predictable. Half the fun of getting something new is playing with it to see what it can do - after having the same amp for a while, it can become boring. Same with basses really - just the differences are less pronounced with new amps.

[quote]i just dont get the same GAS for amps...[/quote]
I think most of the players that are forever chopping and changing have more money than sense and an insecurity about their ability. They're looking for the rig that will make them sound [i]great[/i], when maybe they should be looking a little nearer home :)
Fact is, when you get above a certain price/power threshold there's very little in it.

Bass amps are a funny thing. On one hand you want something that fills the lower frequency sonic territory appropriately and so you want something full and not excessively coloured in its tone - on the other hand, if it's even useable as a bass amp then it clearly can't be excessively coloured in the first place. Not quite like guitar amps which are all about the colour they impart.

Personally, my amp GAS stopped after I got my Berg IP and was killed stone dead when I got the EX112 extension cab. It is as uncoloured as I want to go, powerful, punchy, clear, articulate. The form factor is ideal, and ease of use is unsurpassed.

I stopped getting chronic bass & cab GAS a while ago now, but I've been plagued with amp GAS for years.

My new amp (Genz Streamliner) is the first amp in living memory that has turned me into a giddy schoolgirl at gigs.

So, I can't be certain, but that [i]might[/i] be the end of amp GAS for me.

...and then I'll probably get bass GAS.

I used to get cab GAS, until I got my Schroeder. All I wanted was something that could compete with the obscenely loud drummers I play with and hold the low end without breaking up. None of the cabs I've owned previously were up to the task, but this one is, so it's a keeper.

Well for me there's two types of GAS really: one that comes from real musical needs, and one that comes from the attraction of the unusual, rare, and possibly cool.

The first type comes from gigging and practicing with the band. It has led to smaller and more portable amps and cabs. It is a level-headed and rational need, and is currently sated.

The second one is an obscure beast, that makes me crave obscure instruments with clear flaws, battered home-brew valve amps, speaker cabinets with no practicality but lots of weirdness (marshall 1555 anyone?). That is never satisfied, but I can keep it under control by feeding it little scraps of money every now and again. The lack of space also helps :)

If you only had a 30 watt combo B5 you might feel differently, It's like a 17 year old getting a brand new corsa vxr then wondering why his mates with 1.0 piles of crap want to get new cars.

I don't get amp gas as such but usually purchase stuff that's required, right now I need a 1x12 to use for small gigs with the Genz head as the 2x12 is too loud even on as low as the amp goes for really little pubs and stuff. Im not looking for a new sound just the right tools for the job.

Over the last couple of years, I`ve had quite a few amps. All have been great amps, but I was searching for a specific sound, and found it in an Ampeg stack. Unfortunately, it was all just too heavy for me, so I`ve had to sell it all.

My TC Classic 450/Eden Nemesis gets as near to the sound as I can hope for, in a rig that is easy to cart about. I`m sure there are other items that will get me nearer, but thats it, I`m stopping the GAS.......for now!

I love owning good amps and cabs, perhaps even more than owning basses. :)

I've gone through a fair number of basses and amps and cabs but owning Barefaced cabs has cured me in that area. I use a Compact for most gigs, Midget for rehearsals and small gigs, and both for bigger gigs. I've found that combination to be very versitile, and the sound? Just fantastic.

Both cabs fit together in the boot of my Fiesta, are easy to carry and have a very good shape for carrying.

The only cab to still tempt me is the Barefaced Super Twelve but no................................................ :)

Frank.

I personally had GAS real bad for ages and kept changing but it genuinely was because I wasn't totally happy with what I had. Some amps sounded good but were very complicated, some were very heavy and some were just crap. I eventually spent some serious money on a really nice amp / cab and the gas has been gone ever since.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that for me I should have bitten the bullet and stumped up for a quality rig right at the start rather than do the keep trading up as it has cost far more in the long run.

To the OP - it's really cool that you found your perfect amp but I might suggest that most on here would be pretty stoked to have some nice aguilar kit behind them too :)

You sound like you're worried that [b]not[/b] having GAS might be a bad thing! Once you get to a good tone you're unlikely to change it for anything better. Different maybe, lighter, louder but probably not better. So you're where you should be, thinking about the playing, rather than the gadgets!

Its a tool for an albeit highly subjective job.

I need a tool I can rely on, that does what it should do well.

Since I got my rig I have had absolutely no GAS for more.

Then again since I got my 5 string I've only really had GAS for a similar fretless bass. Though having no spare funds at all has meant its been pretty much quelled for the forseeable...

Love my Genz Shuttle 9.0 - I know there are tons of great amps out there but this is the one for me - it just sounds great, is stupidly loud and is small enough to fit in my gig bag... I'm still GASing for an Uber 410... I just don't need one! Well, of course I need one, but well, the misses or my bank balance wouldn't approve.