Why become a member? ×

Bloody repeats!

Happy Jack

I have fond memories of the "Lazarus thread" where every now & then a dead topic would suddenly get revived. It was such a rare occurrence that it was usually worth re-reading.

No longer.

I've lost count of the number of times in the last few weeks that I've started reading a "new" thread only to discover that it dates from 2009 (or similar).

I appreciate that the same subjects do tend to come up repeatedly on any high-traffic forum, but have we now reached the point where we no longer even bother to re-visit old subjects, we simply dig up an ancient topic and scrape off some of the mould?

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1144189' date='Feb 28 2011, 09:44 AM']I have fond memories of the "Lazarus thread" where every now & then a dead topic would suddenly get revived. It was such a rare occurrence that it was usually worth re-reading.

No longer.

I've lost count of the number of times in the last few weeks that I've started reading a "new" thread only to discover that it dates from 2009 (or similar).

I appreciate that the same subjects do tend to come up repeatedly on any high-traffic forum, but have we now reached the point where we no longer even bother to re-visit old subjects, we simply dig up an ancient topic and scrape off some of the mould?[/quote]

Be careful, you might even dig this thread up in 2013 and wonder what you were moaning about.... :)
On the other hand Alzheimer's might have struck.

Garry

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1144189' date='Feb 28 2011, 09:44 AM']....I've lost count of the number of times in the last few weeks that I've started reading a "new" thread only to discover that it dates from 2009 (or similar)....[/quote]
It's Groundhog Day, mate. It's Groundhog Day, mate. It's Gr.....

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1144189' date='Feb 28 2011, 09:44 AM']I have fond memories of the "Lazarus thread" where every now & then a dead topic would suddenly get revived. It was such a rare occurrence that it was usually worth re-reading.

No longer.

I appreciate that the same subjects do tend to come up repeatedly on any high-traffic forum, but have we now reached the point where we no longer even bother to re-visit old subjects, we simply dig up an ancient topic and scrape off some of the mould?[/quote]
I prefer it that way... I'd rather have a long, comprehensive & evolving thread about a subject, rather than scratting about for scraps of info that go nowhere.

Plus, it means whoever revived the thread has done the proper thing and searched first...

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1144189' date='Feb 28 2011, 09:44 AM']I appreciate that the same subjects do tend to come up repeatedly on any high-traffic forum, but have we now reached the point where we no longer even bother to re-visit old subjects, we simply dig up an ancient topic and scrape off some of the mould?[/quote]

Francis Fukuyama would be proud.

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1144246' date='Feb 28 2011, 10:46 AM']What's witht he BBC bashing? You don't know how lucky you are![/quote]

Well said, and it is a requirement of the BBC's remit to provide a defined amount of repeat programming.

That said, like Jack I have also noticed a lot of phoenix threads here lately. I'm not sure what's happening at BC, there's little going on at the moment. It's a bit dull. Is it the time of year, or something else, that has made most bass players devoid of opinion or fiery conviction this month?

In the past I have seen newbies posting a Q as a new topic & then being told they should go & search & dig up an old thread to get the answer. It makes no odds to me as sometimes the old thread/new topic could be from before I joined BC or something I missed completely.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1144280' date='Feb 28 2011, 11:17 AM']In the past I have seen newbies posting a Q as a new topic & then being told they should go & search & dig up an old thread to get the answer. It makes no odds to me as sometimes the old thread/new topic could be from before I joined BC or something I missed completely.[/quote]

Total agreement here.

[quote name='silddx' post='1144268' date='Feb 28 2011, 11:04 AM']....I'm not sure what's happening at BC, there's little going on at the moment. It's a bit dull. Is it the time of year, or something else....[/quote]
Over 10,000 users is the reason. A couple of years ago I went on holiday for 2 weeks. There were 17 pages of new posts when I came home. Now we can rack that up in 2 days!

But the more pressing problem is that most of the interesting people seem to have gone and found something more interesting to do!

[quote name='chris_b' post='1144343' date='Feb 28 2011, 12:03 PM']Over 10,000 users is the reason. A couple of years ago I went on holiday for 2 weeks. There were 17 pages of new posts when I came home. Now we can rack that up in 2 days!

[b]But the more pressing problem is that most of the interesting people seem to have gone and found something more interesting to do![/b][/quote]

I agree with you, Chris. I wonder why. It does seem more serious but less philosophically interesting these days.

No longer.

perhaps, instead of ressurecting the original thread we could have a tribute thread which would just have the bits that people liked but at a cheaper price ! :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1144259' date='Feb 28 2011, 10:53 AM']I prefer it that way... I'd rather have a long, comprehensive & evolving thread about a subject, rather than scratting about for scraps of info that go nowhere.

Plus, it means whoever revived the thread has done the proper thing and searched first...[/quote]
I'm in agreement here. It does occasionally make me laugh when someone replies to a quote from 3yrs ago but generally i think it works well. I revived an old thread the other week that hadn't been touched for a couple of years. I acknowledged this was what I was doing & even the OP said he was pleased to see it again! A lot of people have joined in the last year or two and it's always nice to get a fresh perspective. Plus it's interesting to read people's comments on the perfect bass that you also read about in the for sale section a few months ago! :)

[quote name='chris_b' post='1144343' date='Feb 28 2011, 12:03 PM']But the more pressing problem is that most of the interesting people seem to have gone and found something more interesting to do![/quote]

Me, not interesting? :) :)

Low End Bee,
I just watched your Cheapo Video for the 1st time the other day & it's class! Great song too & your singer's got a face full of character :lol:
Glad that one was rehashed.

What really annoys me is when I dive in and reply to a thread, then realise it's a 50 page marathon resurrected from 3 years ago. And I think I've probably replied to it at least once before, so I'm either repeating myself (poor old duffer) or contradicting what I said before (older and wiser).

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='1144917' date='Feb 28 2011, 08:20 PM']Drummer at the wrong gig? :)[/quote]
That's exactly the opposite problem though, more like a host of drowned corpses putrefying and bobbing to the surface one by one.

Anyway, some of us need a good run-up. My best rapier wit takes me a couple of years to hone to perfection. Fortunately, I wrote a number of witty ripostes some years ago which I can turn to in emergencies, as long as I remember to edit the references to flares, Afros, and afghan coats.