Why become a member? ×

Would You Play For Nothing?

Pete Academy

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1136231' date='Feb 21 2011, 08:47 PM']What if you had to pay to play, like always in a rehearsal room?

What if it was the law that you had to contribute financially to the BIG SOCIETY even when you only played in your bedroom?[/quote]

I was in a band I wasn't very happy with for just over a year. We paid monthly to hire a rehearsal room, and barely did any gigs. I wasn't very happy with the band but I stayed for the sake of having people to play with. When my missus became pregnant I quit the band. I guess I was looking for an excuse to leave! Then shortly before my son was born I joined Malacite who are based some 20-30 miles away. It's a mission to get to rehearsal and does have an impact on the old wallet, but I'm happy in this band so there's no sign of me leaving. I guess it depends on the band really!

There are maybe two or three people that I would do a gig for no money for.These are really good friends,and even then there are some stipulations.
If I've got to travel an hour or so,I would hope to get some petrol money,or at the very least a couple of drinks or a bit of food. It's also unlikely that I'll guarantee a weekend gig for nothing,depending on the season.But then again,the guys who I'd do this for feel the same way.
I won't pay to play though-ever. I've played original gigs that have involved paying(usually in the form of the ticket scam),but that's up to the bandleader to sort..not me in my usual capacity as a sideman.

If regular venues said they wouldn't pay anymore,I'd simply look elsewhere for gigs that will.

Currently I'm in a mid-life crisis originals band and we've not been paid for any gigs and we don't expect to.

Covers bands I've been in previously (and doubtless will again one day) I'd expect to be paid, or proceeds to charity etc.

I've got a friend who is a backing singer in a covers band. I was asking if they got well paid for gigs. The answer: I don't know, the sax/singer keeps all the money: it's his band and he is a professional :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1136098' date='Feb 21 2011, 07:58 PM']If something happened where you couldn't get paid for gigs, would you carry on playing for nothing, just for the sheer enjoyment?

When I was young I definitely would, but I'm not sure now. I know a lot of bands do play for no fee anyway.

Any thoughts?[/quote]
That's why I have a day job, so I can play the music I love. I don't get paid for playing very often.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1136134' date='Feb 21 2011, 08:10 PM']I think it's a question of how much do you actually love playing live. Would you sacrifice that money?[/quote]

I think people get what your saying. They wouldn't play covers for free but would do originals since most people don't get paid for that anyways.

I played several gigs few yrs back where it was all for Kids Hospital charity.
It cost me a fair bit for hire of staging, lighting, sound engineers, security and the free beer for bands who took part along with me.
To this day it was all worth it and I'd do it again !!

Done a few gigs whereby we got paid in beer after the gig. Of course we ordered drinks all round for our friends and the landlord wasn't pleased when he found out. We did a freebie return gig for him to keep him happy.

Those were the days when money didn't really matter/ It was just good fun playing.

Dave

:) :) :lol:

[quote name='umph' post='1136301' date='Feb 21 2011, 09:15 PM']I think people get what your saying. They wouldn't play covers for free but would do originals since most people don't get paid for that anyways.[/quote]
I wouldn't care whether they were originals or covers. I'd only care whether the songs were any good. I'd rather play good covers than bad originals any day. But we've done that thread many times already.

Both the bands I'm in do at least a couple of charity gigs a year, as well as being for good causes they're an "investment" we usually get someone coming up to us afterwards asking us to play at their birthday/wedding whatever. but we'd all expect to be paid £200-£250 for a pub/club gig and £300 plus for birthday/weddings.

I think I'd been playing a fair few years before I actually got paid! Now I think it's important that musicians are paid for their service. Doorstaff & barstaff get paid. As a minimum venues should at least feed & water the band.

In the extremely unlikely event of not getting any pay I would still do it simply because I enjoy it. All our money goes back into the band anyway so I'm hardly making a killing out of this

This....
[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1136119' date='Feb 21 2011, 08:05 PM']TBH, I take every gig on its' merits.

Occasionally I'll be asked to do something for nowt... if it's going to be fun, then I'll do it.

If it's going to be for nowt because someone else is going to make a pocketful of cash, then I'll probably say no.[/quote]

And this...
[quote name='Doddy' post='1136266' date='Feb 21 2011, 09:04 PM']There are maybe two or three people that I would do a gig for no money for.These are really good friends,and even then there are some stipulations.
If I've got to travel an hour or so,I would hope to get some petrol money,or at the very least a couple of drinks or a bit of food. It's also unlikely that I'll guarantee a weekend gig for nothing,depending on the season.But then again,the guys who I'd do this for feel the same way.
I won't pay to play though-ever. I've played original gigs that have involved paying(usually in the form of the ticket scam),but that's up to the bandleader to sort..not me in my usual capacity as a sideman.

If regular venues said they wouldn't pay anymore,I'd simply look elsewhere for gigs that will.[/quote]

Plus we often do a few charity gigs or all day open jam type things where we provide all the gear etc

I think essentially its what WoT said, each gig on its merits.
If NO musician ever got paid, there would be 99% less covers bands, other than jam nights, and a lot more original music doing the rounds.
Yes I'd still play for free, but I'd be making a point to do original/my own stuff over covers stuff. I play in my covers band because I enjoy the musicians, but I wouldn't be playing for someone else with them.

Si

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1136119' date='Feb 21 2011, 08:05 PM']TBH, I take every gig on its' merits.

Occasionally I'll be asked to do something for nowt... if it's going to be fun, then I'll do it.

If it's going to be for nowt because someone else is going to make a pocketful of cash, then I'll probably say no.[/quote]

This.. pretty much.

Every gig I would want a fee... but if I really wanted to do it then I might waive it for a good reason.

But the thing that gets my goat for a charity gig..or can do... the bands play for free,
the PA guy gets paid as do the bar staff etc etc.

It can make you picky about charity gigs if this is the case.

I can't see why you would not set out to get paid.